Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for defense ammo and at academay this is what they have for 9mm showing on the site.

CCI BLAZER 9 MM AMMUNITION
its like silver caseings

115gr

WINCHESTER U.S.A. 9MM AMMO
115-gr. FMJ

MONARCH 9MM AMMO
# FMJ
# 115 gr

and our waqllmart only had 1 box of ammo left and thats remington 115gr for 10.50. what would your pick be?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
im looking for defense ammo and at academay this is what they have for 9mm showing on the site.

its like silver caseings

115gr

115-gr. FMJ

MONARCH 9MM AMMO
# FMJ
# 115 gr

and our waqllmart only had 1 box of ammo left and thats remington 115gr for 10.50. what would your pick be?
None of them. They are all Full metal jacket. I prefer hollow points for defense rounds.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we the reason im asking because i dont know what my hp 9mm is going to shoot well.i just got back from the firearms.traders warehouse.and its got just about every kind of gun you can think of.they had a 12 gauge called super shorty that thing was only 2feet long.but they got militatary stuff as well.the guy said to try the hydroshock and if that didnt shoot well to try american eagel i think 127 gr/147 im sure im off i cant remember but it had a flat tip.but anyway i wont keep posting about this.im just gonna have to try a few diff kind to see on my on.they had a few hp pistols and a couple hp 995.they said they were going to stop selling them because they arent selling any so i looked at the price and i said thats why.they wanted freakin over300 for the old model 995 lol.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i use speer gold dot for home and i use specialized(speer) for out range shooting. mine are 150 gr and 180gr.i am going to get some hollow points just for home protection. but i dont OC hollow points . just another reason for leo to give you problems. only because ive heard from leo that hollow points are for killing your target. and if you OC with them then you were haveing the premeditaed thoughts before you OC.
pretty dumb but i guess better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya that makes sence.has anyone tried hydroshock for the hp pistols?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would look for Cor-Bon, Speer, or Hornady Jacketed Hollow-Point for self defense.
Get Winchester "White Box" from Wal-Mart for the range.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks ill look to see if i can find any of those around here.

·
Registered
264 Posts

its like silver caseings

115gr

115-gr. FMJ

MONARCH 9MM AMMO
# FMJ
# 115 gr

I guess I am one of those ammo snobs :devilsidesmile:. Hornaday in my opinion is the best ammo for defense you can buy.
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_se...&category_id=f2052c19978003cb6085adead52ee5b6

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_se...&category_id=7dd32bcf6f4c586c1277ec955c5e4171

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I use the Hornady Critical Defense in my C9 and Magtech Guardian Gold in my JHP .45. No reason other than they are specific for defense rounds and its what my JGS had on hand. Both feed well though both guns.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks ill try out hornady when i get my gun.that critical defense seems good but arent the silver casing ammo not good in hp?

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
i use speer gold dot for home and i use specialized(speer) for out range shooting. mine are 150 gr and 180gr.i am going to get some hollow points just for home protection. but i dont OC hollow points . just another reason for leo to give you problems. only because ive heard from leo that hollow points are for killing your target. and if you OC with them then you were haveing the premeditaed thoughts before you OC.pretty dumb but i guess better safe then sorry.
Hollowpoints are the standard issue for every Law Enforcement Agency I have ever heard of. Next time a LEO tells you that, ask him what kind of ammo he is issued.

Read "Combat Handguns" magazine, it has a good column in it every issue about the courtroom aftermath of a justifiable shooting, written by a guy with many hours of courtroom experience. When prosecuters or a lawyer in a civil case brings up the "he used "too deadly" ammo" argument all the defense atty has to do is have any LE present hold up a spare magazine of their duty ammo to show the cops issue essentially the same stuff.

They even go so far as to recommend a person pack exactly the same firearm and ammo the local cops use. That way when the "he used a Rambo Gun (semi auto with more than 10 rds) with deadly Dum Dum bullets that create such horrible wounds they are banned from the battlefield in time of war" accusation comes up all one has to do is state "I chose this combo because that's what the cops standing around this courtroom all carry. I don't know much about guns so I went with what the professionals chose". Makes the prosecution look like idiots and the LEOs don't like being called "bloodthirsty killers" by the prosecuter.

·
Registered
238 Posts
good read slim thats why i went out and bought the .40 most leos around here have all swiched to the 40.
i agrre there should be zero wrong with me carrying hollow points . but wen leos want some one they get them any way they can i guess. its like the officer that has his martini lunch then bust the next guy for dwi lol or the law stateing you canot drink and drive but they allow bars to exsist with cars in their parking lots . always a dbl standard .

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
You need a good hollow point to promote expansion , and slowing of the round. What you are trying to avoid is a through and through. A jhp round tends to wiz straight through a body, without stopping or expanding. If you are in a defensive situation and shoot a BG, and that round passes throug and hits lil sally jenkins on her bike across the street, you will be cleared from shooting BG, but lil sally parents will be able to sue you out of existence. Always you a JHP for defensive ammo.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well the next time i get robbed and i say when not next because of where ilive i want the bullet to stay ibn and do as much damage as possible

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
well the next time i get robbed and i say when not next because of where ilive i want the bullet to stay ibn and do as much damage as possible
what?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
what?
+++100 on the "huh" you have to experiment with ammo to find what your weapon likes. there is no crystal ball you can look into to predict what will work and what does not.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jesus all this because i asked for advice for a good defense ammo for hp 9.i thought thats one of the guns you guys had.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
jesus all this because i asked for advice for a good defense ammo for hp 9.i thought thats one of the guns you guys had.
every gun is going to be different. you have to get out there and try so testing. It can get costly but once you find out what your gun likes and you like, hopefully you'll never have to buy anymore of that.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts