Christmas 22?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lklawson, Dec 1, 2014.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

My wife called me from Wal Mart on Black Friday. They were having a 20% off sale on firearms. She asked me which youth 22 I was looking at for the Boy Scouts.

I told her (the Savage; ~$150 normally) but I'm not sure the guy working the counter knew what he was talking about because she said the Savage wasn't at that price.

On the other hand, my wife is a sneaky woman. She may have just been trying to throw me off the scent while purchasing some non-firearm related item.

However, she has bought guns and gun paraphernalia for me before. My M1895 Nagant revolver was a Christmas gift. But I got no hit about that.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. Kirk you're still look ing for single shot .22s for the Scouts? I've got a Western Auto Revelation 101-A (Mossberg 321) and it's in really great shape.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yes, I am.

Sounds awesome. Fair warning, however, my wife borrowed the money I've been saving for scout 22's so I don't have instant access to it.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. If you can provide me with a letter thanking me for my donation to the BSA then I think the price will be zero. I'm pretty sure my FFL will handle it gratis as well.

5. You guys, keep making me want to cry.

Tall bump gets almost TWO guns free. you are giving one to the boy scouts. I shall say the generosity of this site is truly impressive.

6. I have been planing on buying myself a x-mas/B-day ruger 10/22, now that they have come into the LESS THAN $200 range.

But my wife keeps "borrowing" for kids Christmas presents. wonderful woman, but i think she is lieing about the "borrowing" part.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

First, thank you for your generosity. :)

I've been purchasing equipment and training out of my own funds. Thus far, the equipment belongs to me.

That said, I have no issues whatsoever with the troop owning the equipment. I'm not sure what would be required as far as accounting, donation receipts, or storage. What I suspect, based on other donations, is that there will be no issues as far as the Scouts are concerned, that thank you letters and receipts are standard, and that one of the Leaders such as myself or the Scout Master would accept storage and maintenance responsibilities. I'm not sure how the FFL transfers would work, however. All of mine have been private ownership for me or as a gift to another private individual not legally barred from ownership. I have no idea how I would fill paperwork to take possession for a non-profit. I'm guessing a Trustee might have to do the paperwork (Scoutmaster maybe?).

I'll contact the Scoutmaster post-haste and see if I can't get this ball rolling.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Usually, its a person in the sponsoring organization's system, they sign for things as agents of the organization.

9. Well... the letter would make my sweetie happy but if it doesn't work on your end I'm still good to move forward. I have to ship from an FFL to get it off my registered firearm list in mAssachusetts. PM me and we can exchange email addresses and I will start setting it up on my end.

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Hmm... Maybe I was making some assumptions that I shouldn't have.

I was assuming that you were wanting the letter for use in proving a charitable donation on your 1040 Itemized list. While I'm pretty sure I can get that for you without issues, there are also a few other bits of information you should have along with it to keep the IRS happy. My only concern is that, because I've never done it before, I'm unsure of how exactly to bake BSA Troop 57 the legal owner of the equipment which requires the Feds permission to own. I'm sure I can figure it out, given time. :)

If what you're really looking for is a heartfelt thank you letter and proof that you've passed the item on to another, then that is easily and happily accomplished.

Because we're talking about going State-to-State, it all has to go through FFL's anyway to keep the BATF happy.

Just let me know how you want to do this and I'm sure that I can figure it out. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. Rerun

Rerun Member

Maybe 'ownership' of the firearms are done in a similar manner that Sea Scout Ships 'own' sailing vessels...

*Shrugs*

I'll ask my SSS 24 Skipper about this.

eldar

12. Your assumption was spot on. However, what I'm also saying is this: A letter proving a charitable donation on my 1040 would be "nice to have". But if that's not possible /not practical I'm still going to send you the gun for the Scouts to use. It's been sitting in my safe begging to be put to good use, and I can't think of any better way for it to be used than the purpose you have in mind for it. :)

Let's get this puppy packed up to go to its new home. PM sent.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

OK. No problem. I'm digging into it. Thanks loads!

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Man I love this forum. Let me know if you need more 22 ammo.

15. Rerun

Rerun Member

Okay, here's the skinny...

In Texas:

Before 1990, all that was needed to pass a firearm (Boat/motor/trailer) on to a Scout Troop was that it be donated to the Troop's sponsor (usually a church). They provided the tags, titling, and licensing to cover the donation.

Pan forward to today - donations of boats/motors/trailers are still handled the same way.

Firearms on the other hand, needs to be assigned to a corporation (LLC or otherwise) and backgrounds checks implemented.

And, any other hoops the State may require.

Hope this helps.

eldar

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So the BSA itself would have to take posession and own? I suppose it would have to be stored on BSA property too?

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yes to the BSA owning it, unless the group sponsoring your Troop is a corporation that can own it.

Storage would then be based on the state laws, and the corporations wishes. Most would probably leave the guns locked up at the shooting sports instructors location, unless they have facilities of their own.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  18. Getting way too complicated.
    I'll just send Kirk's FFL the gun and buy my sweetie a dozen roses.
    Everyone will be happy.

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Thank you for your generosity.

PM inbound.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

20. You're welcome, hope the scouts have fun with it! I wanted to post a photo pre-ship but I've been insanely busy. So when the opportunity arrived to get this rifle packed up and out the door, I jumped on it. The rifle had to be disassembled (one screw is all it took to remove the barrel from the stock) so it's classically Christmas: "some assembly required" ;)
    It should arrive December 18.