chrome and gray C9

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by ginemore, Jul 20, 2014.

1. ginemore

ginemore Member

I was at a gun show a week ago and saw a C9 that had a chrome slide (not brushed) and a gray frame. I am wondering if anyone else has seen one of these and how many of these has Hi-Point made? The older gentleman wanted $190 for it but after talking to him he came down to $175. I had to pass because I didn't have enough money at the time. I know where he will be this weekend(26-27) at another gun show. Gun looked to be in very good condition with one 8 round mag. Are these rare and what do you think a good price would be? Also how old do you think the gun is? Thanks for the help. :)

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Relatively rare, 14 years old, at least, it's worth it if you are into collecting them, but if you just want a .380 launcher, you can easily get under that.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I'm sure someone will correct my if I'm wrong (even if I'm not).

Hi-Point didn't make a grey C-9. Only the CF-380 was released in grey. Also factory chrome slides have a bit of a brushed look to them. Not a mirror finish. So if it's a grey C-9 with a nice shiny slide, it's fake. Now a grey CF-380 with a factory chrome slide? Quite rare and worth the $175. If you want I'd give you $200 for it.

4. ginemore

ginemore Member

You know I never looked at it really close as it was locked in a case. He said it was a 9mm but the slide was bright shiny chrome like a old 50's Buick (just like a mirror). I guess I am going to have to go look at it again this weekend.

5. If it's that shiny, it could very well be just a nicely polished slide. If you know what you're doing, have a bench buffer and the right jewelers rouge, you can get that metal looking better than chrome.

6. cicpup

Vermont
    Slide could have been polished. No biggie. Here's some light reading for you (with pics even).

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f273/380-comp-frame-color-285125/

7. If its a true chrome it will lokk brushed as cicpup said. I have a chrome Stallard and it has a "stainless appearance" with clear brush lines. They are actually not shiny at all. If its a true chrome 9 id pay big money for it. I have already offered a guy $350 for a chrome Haskell and he never replied because he doesnt want to ship. :mad:

8. ginemore

ginemore Member

Yes it looks like the 380ACP but the slide was a little shinier and the grips were gray and not black if mine and my wife's memory serves us correct. Otherwise that is the gun. The only thing I don't no is if it is a 9MM or a 380ACP he told me it was a 9MM

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  9. It's probably a .380 grey frame with a polished slide done by someone. If you can get a pic if you go again we could clear it up real quick. ;)

10. cktvt

cktvt Member

I immediately started laughing uncontrollably at this which scared the dog, you bastard! :p

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  11. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

MoM has re-issued the Camo 40, 45 & 380 Compensator in the past few months. who knows may some Chromes?

12. cicpup

Vermont
    You're not paying attention Mr. Tuba. And when did they rerelease the 380 Compensator? Because I missed that one.

13. cicpup

Vermont
    What a Frankengun.

OK. So here's the deal. The frame is a 380. Same frame as a C-9 except the C-9 was never molded in grey. Perhaps someone converted it to a 9mm (only need to change the barrel and recoil spring). Or perhaps someone slapped a C-9 slide on a 380. If the former, then it's a custom 9mm. If the later, it might explode in your face when you try to fire 9mm ammo. Most likely the slide is just stripped and polished and not a factory chrome. Also Hi-Point never molded grips in grey. They're either painted or those after markets you can find on ebay.

It's a pile of parts and until you determine the exact caliber, don't fire it. Might be able to send it to Hi-Point for free and have them restore it to a factory grey frame 380. At which point it might be worth between $150 - $200. As it is now, I wouldn't pay over $100. If you're just looking for a 9mm you can find a new C-9 between $150 - $180. So unless you're a collector or looking for parts, and if you don't mind me quoting the Road Warrior, "Just walk away".

Oh, if it turns out to be a factory grey chrome 380? Then hand that man his money and leave with a smile.

14. ginemore

ginemore Member

I will be going to the gun show on Sun. and I will look to see if it is a chrome 380ACP. If anyone else has anything else to add, please feel free. If it is the 380ACP then I will have to decide whether to spend my money on it or a Taurus 455 45ACP revolver I just found for a good price.

15. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I'll bet ya if you manage to take a picture of it at the beginning of the gun show you'll have an answer here before the end of it.

16. cicpup

Vermont
    With as much detail as possible.

17. One of us here will probably know, do it first thing like Swaga said and you will have your answer quickly, I'm on and off here all day as are many others.