Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,559 Posts
Myself? I do not carry at ALL at Temple. I don't even keep a firearm or any other weapon in the car or bike. Simple as that. The belief that by adhering to the Eight Fold Path, I will be in the proper position no matter what may occur, especially in a Temple. Also, the presence of a firearm WILL disturb others, hence distracting them from the path of "Right Thought" and "Right Action", forcing them to act in a way contrary to their nature.

In my situation, it would disturb more than protect. But, every situation is different.

In Arizona, there was a situation where about a dozen Buddhist monks were shot to death in a robbery in a Temple in North Phoenix. Many of these questions came up during the investigation and are still a concern, but the strength in defence comes in the community.

· Registered
4,559 Posts
I know alot of the culture in my faith is that when you are at Temple, it is the obligation of the Monks to protect all who enter their gates, be them followers or not and to invite all who need help into the same gates. It is strongly frowned upon to ever enter a Temple armed, although never forbidden. It's considered a sign of distrust and fear to carry "heavy" at any Temple.

As another bit of trivia: Many older monks are actually retired soldiers who take the path after their term of service is over in Southeast Asia and Japan. There have been reports in Indonesia of Islamic extremists trying to raid temples only to be disarmed and handed over to the police by the monks themselves. The funny part is that not one shot is ever fired.

Says something about either the skill and intelect of the monks or the stupidity of the criminals...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.