Church shooting

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by SWAGA, Sep 21, 2015.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

2. histed

histed Supporting Member

Sad is right. One of the reasons we have security at our church now. Supposed to be a place of peace and sanctuary, now often just another soft target.

3. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

That's why I carry at church. I agree it's sad that you have too, but that's the way our world is now.

Ironically, if these shooters were in church every week themselves, worshiping the Lord, we wouldn't need to worry about protecting ourselves from them

4. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

This is really terrible. Makes me think of the recent church shooting
    in Charleston, SC. Back in the day people in general had more respect
    now they bring violence even into the church.

5. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Sometimes we have to chuckle at church. We have more CCW holders than NON CCW holders on certain Sundays!

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

You're making a mistake, though it's an understandable one. You make a distinction of "need" and "in church." The church really isn't that special. Take it out of the sentence for accuracy. "It's a sad sad world if you need to conceal carry because of people like this."

A statistically significant portion of humanity just plain sucks.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

As far as I can tell, the concept of a Church being some sort of Sanctuary from violence dates to the Middle Ages and was only possible because the Church was powerful enough to immolate anyone who violated their Sanctuary rules.

Immolate, not arrest. Not "quick suicide." Not presented as a "troubled soul" and have your "manifesto" read by everyone. Labeled a heretic, condemned to hell in the minds of anyone you still care about, and then horribly tortured to death by fire. Think about that.

Holy Ground as a Sanctuary from Violence is only possible through the most horrific application of violence upon violators.

Interesting dichotomy, no?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_asylum#Medieval_England

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. SWAGA

Thank you for Kirkifying the discussion.

10. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Churches are a soft spot for people who want to kill someone. More and more people in the U.S. are turning away from religious beliefs. For those who do not believe in God, the Church is just another building. That should not be very difficult to understand.

11. exactly, to people who never grew up in a church, never understood the solemn it holds for there family and friends. They certainly could care less if they carry out crimes there.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

My 14 YO son just looks at me and said, "Dad, stop nerding it up."

Literally. No joke.

Last night as I was driving him and his cousins to a teen specific church function, he was reading from a book and decided he'd found something funny, "Dad," says he then proceeded to read, "Why are Boxing Ring's square?" <chuckle chuckle> "Well," I replied, "I can tell you exactly why but you'd probably think it's pretty boring." "It's a joke; stop nerding it up." :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. well what was the punchline?

you cant just leave me hanging here. I love dad jokes, I have a feeling you are terrible at them.

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

That is the joke.

"Why is a Boxing Ring square?"

[​IMG]

:)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. I get it, I get it. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: OHHHH I CANT STOP :rofl::rofl::cool:

16. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

17. SWAGA

18. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

You know, like Chicago style shootings?

eldar

19. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I'm surprised that this thread has the word "church" in the title and it hasn't made it's way to the darkrooms yet :D:stir::nahnah::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

20. SWAGA

Not unless it takes a religious turn, which it hasn't.
    There's a reason why guns are taken away in domestic violence cases.
    Not that it would help mind you, we'd be reading about a stabbing in church.
    I hate these 'domestic violence' types.
    Shoot your ex in the face and shoot at your own kid.
    WTF over.