cicpup started it.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by desertrider, May 13, 2014.

1. desertrider

desertrider Member

Led Zeppelin.

I used to hate this group. I didn't acquire a taste for them until I had been married to my wife for about nine years and I took her to see a Zeppelin tribute band. Led Zeppagain actually put on a pretty good show, and we've seen them at various gigs up and down the California coast eight times in the last six years.

Anybody else here see tribute bands? Some are actually pretty good, where I live is a pretty tribute band-rich environment, all kinds. We've caught shows by Led Zep, ZZ Top, Heart, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen, and Queen (all tribute bands), and the only one I didn't like was Heart.

Usually the cost is free when they can be seen at an event like a Faire or Beach Fest, but at a venue it can cost as much as $15 per person.

The last time I took my wife to a real concert by an original band, a pair of tickets stage level in the Loge section at the Staples Center in LA set me back $220 including fees for the two of us.

Tribute bands are a hell of a deal if you want to catch a good show on the cheap.

2. Rerun

Rerun Member

desertrider,

This is a thread worthy of the Hi-Point reputation!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Cheap is good!

eldar

3. Back2School

Back2School Member

Dont forget the best part about seeing tribute bands - There is not 50,000 idiots to deal with.

I love music and like live bands, but I want to chill, even when listening to Metal.

I dont want to deal with drunks, druggies, jerks and traffic.

The tribute bands I have seen were at small venues and nice and chill.

4. desertrider

desertrider Member

Absolutely. We've caught a couple of acts at The Coach House in San Juan Capistrano, and there are tables set up in front of the stage so you can sit and have dinner and order from the bar, all while watching the show. Worst seat in the house is about thirty feet from the stage.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's because NO ONE can keep up with Ann Wilson.;)

Except Gretchen Wilson, she sang Barracuda at some award show...NOT The CMA in 2005 with Heart...killed it. I was totally impressed. She's done a few others as well. :)

I saw Heart in Mannheim in the Mozartsaal in '88, cost about $20.

When I was in Germany in 86, I was at Monsters of Rock in Mannheim. Warlock played, Bon Jovi was the second band, a couple of bands I didn't know played, like D'Oro and Michael Schenker group, then Def Leppard played in the rain, and included a picture of the crowd there in an album, so I'm in that crowd. Ozzie and the Scorps closed the night out. It cost $26, IIRC.

Saw AC/DC in Karlsruhe, 1988, Dokken opened; I actually wanted to see Dokken, didn't really like AC/DC then, but AC/DC was amazing live, made me a fan. Angus's guitar quit working when he and the bassist were doing a thing without the rest of the band, the bass player Cliff Williams played a LONG solo, until the techs got the guitar working again, and Angus came back out and they finished the song. Amazing.

6. desertrider

desertrider Member

You're right, and that's exactly why we didn't like them, the singer couldn't pull off Ann Wilson's vocals.

I've never been a Journey fan, but I can appreciate Steve Perry's vocals. We caught a Journey tribute band at a festival in Ventura and the singer nailed Perry's vocals so well it sounded like he was actually on stage.

And as far as music festivals go, the only one I've been to was the US Festival back in '82. My wife, who is four years older than me, went to the Cal Jam II in Ontario back in '78 and saw Heart, among other 70's super groups.

I don't think I would enjoy a music festival at this point in my life, the crowds, traffic, and cost would take all the fun out of it. I didn't mind so much in my teens and 20's.

7. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

^^ journey was touring for a while with an Asian guy that sounded dead on Steve perry.

8. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I was in love with Nancy Wilson in the late seventies, still am! I saw the Baracuda show on KC, OMG best concert ever. The first guy I worked for here claimed to have been picked up by her and shown the time of his life during a wild night in Seattle. I believed him because he said she didn't take him home. Lol

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I LOVE Journey, and you are right, Steve Perry is amazing. The guy they hired to sing for the new version of Journey is amazing....but he's not as powerful.

Amen to that.

The German ones were kind of funny, the one in Mannheim was very laid back, they let people bring in drinks and food, plus sold it all inside. Plenty of room, so you could head to the back of things and get out of the crowd.

Went to the one in Pforzheim, just wasn't as good, it was smaller, more crowded. There was Helloween, Ratt, Dio, Cinderella, Metallica, and Deep Purple was the headliner. They stopped everyone from bringing in drinks, there was a HUGE pile of bottles of booze and plastic containers of wine and who knows what out by the entrance gates, one of my buddies kept going out, reaching through the fence, and grabbing whatever he could reach. Everyone got tired of it before the end, so we left early. I was the driver, but the guys I drove all grabbed as much as they could carry of the booze as we left, they stayed lit for a good long while.:rolleyes:

10. desertrider

desertrider Member

Seeing a tribute band can be a good experience, but it would be a really good idea to check out some youtube videos of a band before you decide to go see them. Believe me, there are some bands out there that are pretty hokey.

One thing is for sure, $75 for dinner, drinks, and music is a heck of a lot better than $300 for the same thing.

This is Led Zeppagain at a swap meet ($4 for two people entry) a couple of months ago...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP_04aQFXfA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP_04aQFXfA[/ame]

11. Back2School

Back2School Member

Here is one I hope I get the opportunity to see. Since the Wife doesn't like Maiden, I would have to go alone :(

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XebvpPtebaI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XebvpPtebaI[/ame]

12. desertrider

desertrider Member

They played at The Coach House back in February. I've never seen them, but I heard they are pretty good.

I've only seen Iron Maiden once (Piece of Mind tour), but I remember when The Number of the Beast was released, and I was hooked. Well, until girls led me away from Metal around '87.:(