Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. My son who's in basic training calls the other day and sounds like a different person. I cannot believe the change that has come over him. He's written about 3 friends he's made, from around the country. The four of them are getting very close and we plan to meet them all in a few weeks at graduation. I still wonder what they've done to my kid!

Anyhow - he says the 4 of them want to smoke a good cigar together after graduation and he's asked me to pick one out. Other than going to the drug store for a box of no-name brand by the hundreds, I have NO clue what I'm doing. I have no idea what to pick, who to ask, where to go.

So, HELP! I'm looking for reco on a great cigar and where to get it - 4 of them actually. He doesn't smoke so this will be largely symbolic a gesture of "man-dome" but I want it to be a good one. One that he might enjoy again after AIT. Maybe with his dad, somewhere in Arizona.

You're help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
575 Posts
dont know where you would get them but if you can find a GArcia Vaga it is a very fine cigar. dont smoke myself but dad did and i was always buying him cigars. when I ran across a Garcia Vega he was very impressed and had to have another. he wouldnt buy them for himself but did like it when I got them for him LOL. ARound Abilene I could find you some but dont know where you are. good luck and congrats

·
Banned
19,436 Posts
top shelf Graycliff or Ghurka Legends are spendy but oh so good. midrange, a Don deigo cant be beat for smooth flavor and good value. if youre looking for something out of the oridnary you could go with a natural'.

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=380
http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=400
http://www.cigar.com/cigars/DrewEstateCigars.asp?brand=145

my own personal faovirte was the philipine figghting cock sidewinder. Fine cigar but sadly no longer imported. you may find a bundle or two in finer smoke shops though.

SW

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
If you could find a REAL Cuban Cohiba, WOW dude, those are the BOMB! At $40 - $60 a piece, that's kinda prohibitive to most people.

I haven't smoked cigars in so long, I wouldn't know how to direct you. Cigars can be cheap for decent cigars, to expensive for some really horrible ones. Just make sure you read reviews of them before buying.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
A full bodied cigar like a Upmann or Hoyo De Monterrey might be a bit too much for a beginner. Try a milder cigar like a Macanudo or a Montecristo. I usually smoke Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur #3s or Arturo Fuente 858s. these are mid to full bodied.

If you want to spend WAY too much on a top cigar you can get an Arturo Fuente Opus X.

Congrats to your son, I hope he picked a good MOS and goes to a great school.

Ron M.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'll defer to my more experienced members but I'd add this; for non-smokers presentation adds an extra meaning to the occasion AND leaves a momento. Glass encased cigars with a cork stopper is a great start. Several years ago when we sold our business our attorney bought us some La Diva Torpedo's in glass and shot glasses and had them 'engraved' with the date and occasion. Although the pleasure of sharing the experience is nothing more than a memory, I still have the momento's.

Food for thought and congratulations.

Craig

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, some great suggestions - now off to do some research and make some selections. I love the idea too of having something they can keep - thanks, Craig!!! I'll have to ask the kid what might be a good "engraving" and see if I can get that done in time.

Wow, thanks again all!

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I like La Gloria Cubana Seri R #7's, they are nice. If you can find em Punch Rare Corojo's will knock your socks off for the price you pay.

You can order real deal Cubans here. I ordered some San Luis Rey's years ago.

http://cigarchief.com/
+1 to La Gloria Cubana... I bought my "cigar loving" friend 4 of them ($6 a pop, IIRC) for his 50th birthday. His response "La Gloria, The man has taste." Just be sure to get them from a proper cigar shoppe... How can you tell? If the store doesn't let you smoke inside, it's not a proper cigar shoppe.
(I bought the La Glorias after I read a few online reviews, and I'm glad I didn't offend him with some crappy overpriced smoke)

·
Registered
222 Posts
You guys really know your cigars. I'm pretty partial to an Ashton. They have a nice flavor and are only $10-$15 a piece. and you can find them at almost any local cigar shop.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have a good shop near my home - so I'll take the list here and spend some time there and see what smells / looks good to me, and if they can do some sort of personalization.

This is going to be fun!

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Try an H Upmann cigar. They are made with Cuban tobacco that is grown in the Dominican, so they are very smooth. They're reasonably priced, too. Most of the wine/cigar stores around here that are at least classy enough to have a basic walk-in humidor carry them.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You guys really know your cigars. I'm pretty partial to an Ashton. They have a nice flavor and are only $10-$15 a piece. and you can find them at almost any local cigar shop.
+1 on the Ashton.
I might suggest the Prime Minister, silky, creamy, smooth with a sweet aroma.

I still have my humidor but no longer smoke, not even a cigar.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Ok... where to start. My cigar smoking history:

Avid smoker for several years, heavy smoker for 1... back when I was younger and much stupider I was burning through at least $300 of smokes a month (I didn't pay that much, I worked next to a cigar store and the owner and I had an "arrangement" in return for free computer tech support, but still...). Anyway.

When my brother is going to be deployed for Afghanistan or when he's home on leave before going back, I get Padron 1964 Anniversary. The size "A" is the mac daddy of the bunch; I'd skip the principe and exclusivo. I'd get it in natural... the maduro isn't bad, but I feel the heaviness ruins the smoke. Go into any cigar shop and ask for their top 5 smokes and while 4 of them will vary, I guarantee everyone will mention this one.

One of my personal favorites is the Rocky Patel VSG (Vintage Sun Grown). Comes in a rather large size so it'll last a while, has a nice bit of "spice" to the smoke. Also won't break the bank at about 6-8 dollars a stick depending on where you get it. If you want something milder, Cigarsinternational.com offers the OSG (Original Sun Grown) which has been aged and has a slightly different blend so it's a lot smoother.

In the same vein, the Rocky Patel 1992 Vintage isn't a bad cigar for a bit of a spice (though not as much as the VSG). Not a huge fan of the 1990, but some people swear by them.

For a milder smoke, the Oliva "O" series is one of the better bangs for the buck (4-6 per stick). For a heavy smoke, the Rocky Patel Edge (Corojo for a bit of a kick, Maduro for a nicotine kidney punch) is great (5-6 a stick).

Gurkha makes some fine smokes. They're very easy on the draw, and are "interesting" smokes (you'll notice the flavor changing as the cigar burns down). Never met one I didn't like.

Partagas is a mixed bag for me; the black label isn't bad, but I've had the others range in quality depending on the box they came from.

For a GREAT flavored smoke, I recommend the Drew Estate Java. It's like smoking a chocolate bar. It's infused with mocha. Simply amazing. Not that expensive either!

If they're hardcore nic-fiends (they smoke cigs, do dip, and so on) most cigars made by Joya de Nicaragua will pack enough of a punch to give a buzz. Rather strong smokes; not recommended for only occasional nicotine indulgence.

Ok, I'm going to be late for work. Any brands you have questions on, I'm here. I'd personally do the Padron 1964 Anniversary "A", but if your financial situation is a bit tighter I hope the other reviews help. The 1964 Diplomatico is a good smoke and still reasonably sized. Enjoy and congrats!

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
lots of Honduran and Dominican cigars are from Cuban pedigree
Cohiba
Fuente
Padron
Montecristo
Macanudo
those from experience. I hear good things about Ghurka but never had one. The history of the name could mean a lot. Those were some damn warriors!

My advice, get a bunch of varities in smaller cigars. They will be shared, bartered, and depending on your son's actual duties, might even be given as a sign of trust or friendship (I use that term loosely and cautiously) to locals. YMMV

·
Registered
71 Posts
You guys really touched my heart on this one. Anything CAO especially the Brazillia. Aurturo Fuente Sun Grown. Rocky Patel Sungrown. Jose Pepin Garcia anything by him. La Gloria Cubana Series R or the Wavel Maduro. Oliva makes some really good stuff. These are all on the full side. For a mild the CAO Gold would do the trick at about 5-6 a piece

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.