City water

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mr_flintstone, Oct 23, 2015.

1. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

Hey guys, I know that everyone here has opinions about everything, so I'm going to throw this one at you.

Until this summer I always had well water at my house. Last year, though, an out of state mining company bought up an old mine under the hill behind my house and pulled the pillars to make a quick profit. Well the result was that the subsequent collapse ruined my well water.

I had to hook up to the municipal water supply afterwards because my salt filter could no longer handle the iron and sulfur in the water. Now I have a strange thing going on. Instead of iron deposits in the commode, I now have a black ring that forms in the bowl every couple days, and around the rim water jets . It's not hard to remove, but comes back like clockwork. A sticky dingy film also forms in the shower. Again, not hard to remove, but persistent.

As I have never had city water before, I don't know what this stuff is, or how to prevent it. Anybody got a clue?

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Did you sue and report to the EPA? I would have.

Obviously some sort of contaminant. Sounds a little like mold or mildew but probably isn't.

Might need a new house filtration system or a water softener.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. Blue

Blue Member

IL
    How far from the city are you ?
    You probably want to filter your water with a Britta filter, as something weird like in Flint MI , could be happening. There the city changed water sources and the lead in the city pipes started leaching into the water. Lots of children found with very high lead levels in blood.

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    It's Fluoride. Drink up. It's good for you.

We're on town water and have the same black contaminant. Collects in toilet tank, clogs up the filter every few months and if filter isn't changed it starts to smell of sulfur. We had it tested by the health dept. (you can get this done for free) and it seems we just barely pass for accepted levels of human feces. Needless to say, we drink bottled water.

5. mr_flintstone

Yes. We sued, and after the lawyer took his share, we had just enough to cover the cracked drywall, the water hookup, and to replace some doors and windows that warped when the foundation shifted.
    The EPA didn't do anything because the company shut down as soon as they finished pulling the coal from the mine, which was actually before the mine collapse and all the damage. They were only in business for about a month.

6. mr_flintstone

We're about 8 miles from the city's water source. It comes from a river before going to the treatment plant. God only knows what's in the river to start with.

7. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Even though we’re on city water, we use a Kinetico water softener. It works on water pressure and not on electricity. It stops the calcium buildup we use to get on the faucet nozzles, from the lime and who knows what else the city puts in the water supply. At the kitchen sink, we have a separate Kinetico reverse osmosis faucet for drinking water. The reverse osmosis filters are in the basement and are large enough to last more than a year. I’ve read in The Blade (Toledo’s newspaper) that Kinetico reverse osmosis is probably the only home filtration system that may stop any algae microsyst, from the Toledo water intake, in the western Lake Erie basin that gets through the Toledo water purification process. Apparently the Kinetico reverse osmosis filters can stop smaller impurities from getting through than other companies filters; however, Kinetico cannot legally make that claim because their system has not yet been tested for microsyst filtering. The Kinetico reverse osmosis system also works on water pressure and not on electricity.

8. mr_flintstone

Thanks, I'll check it out.

9. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Check you toilets flapper valve. If it is black the chlorine is breaking it down. Replace with the Red flapper and that will prevent that issue. I had the same issue.

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Oddly enough, MOLE is well-digging today :D

Why I checked in, actually... :eek:

11. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    That won't explain the film in the shower though.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I really like the small town thing. I personally know two of the four guys that work at our water plant..I could get personal info if my water were odd.:)

13. I would'nt drink it.Just have it tested independently by a lab.No sense in being worried all the time.At least you'll know if it's safe.Should be good for a sh*t and a shower though.

14. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

The city will have a water quality report. Ask for a copy! I bet t will show a high manganese level.

15. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I live about 6 miles out of town. In the 1990's the city put up water tanks about a mile from our place. They condemned all the wells between the city and the tanks and made everybody hook up to city water so they could charge us $35 per month. Send a water quality report once a year that tells you why you should not drink the water. I now keep a bubbler in the kitchen for our drinking water.

16. mr_flintstone

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I'll get a test report (maybe test myself) and then get some kind of filter.

It seems a shame, though, to filter water that's supposed to be potable already.

17. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

18. dynapoint

dynapoint Member

Biggest thing is, he's got to find out what he's trying to filter out in order to get the right filter.

Iron and/or manganese bacteria apparently aren't a health hazard, but do make the water taste terrible. My brother's (well) water has a lot of iron, and the filter he uses is the size of a water softener.

I was using an activated charcoal filter with a dispenser (city water), but to do it right you've really got to run water long enough to flush the filter (water gets cold) first. And that was enough of a PITA so that I stopped using it, now I just fill a jug for the fridge, and the chlorine is mostly gassed off by the time I drink it (would work even better if I left it at room temperature, but then it wouldn't be cold, ya know). This wouldn't work with non-volatile contaminants, though.

19. Blue

Blue Member

IL
    I would not bother with a charcoal filter considering a "real" filter example the Brita filter also filters out lead, and other harmful stuff. And its cheap.
    Just put the brita filter jug in the fridge and you get cold filtered water.
    When it gets low, add more water and stick it back in the fridge.

I used to be a man and drink from the tap like a dog, but besides Flint MI having lead water for the city now, there have been other cases of city employee's purposefully contaminating the water supply.

In IL one small city started mixing in a polluted well water to the supply to reduce the city cost. It went on for many years, and they ignored EPA warnings.
    They did it on purpose, and the weird thing is none of them got rich by doing it, just incredibly stupid, sadistic? employees.

Now I brita filter our water as I cannot trust the "tests" we are shown annually by the city.