Clean drinking water in 6 hours

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by priell3, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Water can be disinfected and in this way made drinkable using the rays of the sun. "Solar water disinfection" - SODIS for short - thus offers a solution for preventing diarrhoea, one of the most common causes of death among people in developing countries.

Clean drinking water in 6 hours

The SODIS method is ideal for treating water for drinking in developing countries. All it requires is sunlight and PET bottles. How does it work? Clear PET bottles are filled with the water and set out in the sun for 6 hours. The UV-A rays in sunlight kill germs such as viruses, bacteria and parasites (giardia and cryptosporidia). The method also works when air and water temperatures are low.

People can use the SODIS method to treat their drinking water themselves. The method is very simple and its application is safe. It is particularly suitable for treating relatively small quantities of drinking water.

Research

Many scientific studies confirmed the effectiveness of the SODIS method. It kills germs in water very efficiently. The method has even been shown to improve the health of the population. Research into training strategies gave insight about which communication methods are most suitable. It has also been proven that the use of PET bottles in the SODIS method is harmless.

International recognition

The World Health Organisation (WHO), UNICEF, and the Red Cross therefore recommend the SODIS method as a way to treat drinking water in developing countries.

SODIS: SODIS METHOD

2. Good to know. I won't spend $30 on a filter. As long as I don't find myself in a situation where I am being chased or have to keep moving. Clar bottles, 6hrs or sun it is!

3. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Holy Toledo and the western basin of Lake Erie!!!!:p

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Shoot, guess that means all the sun tea we made growing up was extra purified!

5. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I keep seeing this thing on TV....... They run around $20 or so.

[​IMG]

http://www.campingsurvival.com/lifestraw.html

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XckPmVmciAc[/ame]

6. panoz77

panoz77 Member

What if the water is cloudy and not clear? What if the sky is cloudy and not clear?

I would get the sawyer mini over the lifestraw any day of the week and twice on tuesday. The sawyer is smaller in size, filters 100,000G (FYI the lifestraw only filters up to 1000 liters), can be cleaned and reused and is much more adaptable AND it usually costs less. The sawyer pointone is slightly more expensive but filters up to 1 million gallons.

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produc...F8&qid=1421290753&sr=8-1&keywords=sawyer+mini

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produc...8&qid=1421290671&sr=8-11&keywords=sawyer+mini

I would not rely on UV purification when for $20 you can get an awesome little filter. FYI, I also would use a secondary carbon filter for organic removal and taste.

7. Branth

Branth Member

Sawyer is good stuff. They make a Point ZeroTWO filter that filters viruses, even, but it's a drip filter.

The only downside is that they filters can't be frozen, so you need to keep them warm in the winter.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  8. What is a PET bottle anyway? It didn't explain that in the article, it just said you needed a PET bottle.

9. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    [​IMG]

10. Branth

Branth Member

PET is a certain type of plastic, commonly used for water bottles. If it has the triangular recycling symbol with a "1" in it, it's PET.

11. I thought "they" said if you leave those bottles in the car and they get hot, they release carcinogens into your water. Or is that just a myth?

12. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Some of the bottled water comes in bottles that can degrade. The reusable ones are typically PCP-free and are safe. Because of the PCB publicity, even a lot of the bottled water is coming in bottles labeled PCP- free. Just look on the labeling.

13. Branth

Branth Member

That is what they said.

My understanding is that it's technically true, but the amounts involved are so low that they're very unlikely to have any effect, and any effect they do have isn't likely to show up for many, many years anyway.

I like this purification method - I plan on having my own method, but this is a useful backup that can be improvised very easily - How difficult would it be to find some used 2L soda bottles or empty water bottles in any even moderately populated area? Hell, there's hardly a place on earth that doesn't have litter hanging around. This would allow you to repurpose this garbage to something productive.

14. Branth

Branth Member

I'd still get a filter - They're not that expensive and a lot more foolproof. The SODIS method relies on clear water and a clear bottle so sunlight can reach the bacteria and viruses in the bottle - If your water is cloudy or there's limited sunlight, it might not work properly. I try to build some redundancy in my plans - I have several ways of starting fire, and 3 ways of purifying water - A filter, some iodine tablets, and good old fashioned boiling if worst comes to worst.

Man, I forgot about sun tea! I loved that stuff!

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

[​IMG]???

.[​IMG]???

:)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. Branth

Branth Member

^Valid. That's one of my backups.

Still, you may not have coffee filters with you, and even if you use your shirt, water can still be kinda cloudy.

It's a good system, but not foolproof, and I wouldn't want to rely on it 100%.

17. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

If your water is still cloudy after filtering put a tablespoon of alum into the water (5 gal) and shake it up. It will attach to the particles and they will sink to the bottom. It may take an hour or two. Transfer the water to a clean container and add your bleach (I think it was 1 cap full per gal.), shake well and let it set with the cap or cover loose or off for a couple hours. If you want to kill off the bleach taste boil it or run it through a charcoal filter.

Learned this while installing control systems in a water treatment plant.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  18. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHgsL0dpQ-U[/ame]

19. Branth

Branth Member

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s0UURBihH8[/ame]

20. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Or buy a couple $20 mini sawyers and drink immediately.