Cleaning before refinish

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by tatters, Mar 6, 2008.

1. tatters

tatters Member

I got my Alumahyde II and I'll be ready to do the refinish on my 995.

What for a cleaner do you guys use before you paint the reciever cover?

I've always used alcohol for a final cleaning on some stuff. Does brake cleaner work?

2. s0b3

s0b3 Member

i think brake cleaner would work. mineral spirits are the best from what i've heard.

3. I'd go with brake cleaner _over_ mineral spirits. Don't know what's in it, but it cuts everything.

4. brake cleaner is the way to go. Powder blast will also suffice if need be. Just make sure its regular brake cleaner, not the stuff that leaves a "protective coating" as some do.

5. spray carb cleaner would be another possibility. it removes most anything and evaporates quickly

6. studlee

studlee Member

I also used Aluma Hyde II to refinish my receiver cover. I used Brownells degreaser to clean but I also think carb or brake cleaner will do the job.

I did everything the website video told you to do except before spraying the first dusting coat I heated the cover with a blow dryer first. Then after the last coat I went back a few times a day for 3 days and blow dried the cover to speed up the curing. Fully cured in less than a week.

Here's the finished product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. tatters

tatters Member

That look is exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to clean up the original stock instead of using the ATI though.

Thanks for the pic. Thanks for the replies, gents.