Cleaning my 4595

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Mark8900, May 8, 2016.

1. Mark8900

Mark8900 Member

Hello,
    I am really new with this hobby. The 4595 is my first purchase. Shot it with some experienced friends and learned about gun safety. Anyway, I know I need to clean it and was hoping to find a video or some instructions to get me going. All I can find is some videos about taking it apart and reassembling it.

My questions are; do I need to take it apart to clean it? What are the parts I have to clean?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. hp995tsfg

hp995tsfg Member

I have two 995s and I inspected them both very well when new. I didn't find any problems, it is a good idea to check the many screws to keep them snug. Some thread locker like you can find at any auto parts store is a good idea too to keep them from backing out.
    Most gun shops can recommend a cleaner and lube, I prefer Hornady One Shot spray dry lube for all my guns. For the barrel spray a cotton patch and run it in and out with a cleaning rod. Sometimes I wrap a wet patch on a brass brush and run it down the barrel too. Repeat until the patch is clean.
    For the action just spray the heck out of it and let dry. You are done no disassembly required. Wipe down the outer surfaces with this stuff too and you are ready to store, it is a superior rust preventer.

For a beginner this will keep you operating until you gain more experience.

Always remove the magazine and and double check the chamber before cleaning and handling any firearm.

3. Mark8900

Mark8900 Member

Thank you, I will try that.

4. Good advise concerning Hi-point carbine cleaning. I really like using ballistol to clean all my firearms (including my 4595 FG TS). makes clean-up a breeze... and I shoot cast lead bullets. Youtuber Hickok45 and a display at the Eastern Outdoor and Sports show in Harrisburg, PA turned me onto this excellent product.

http://www.ballistol.com/

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I just pull a Boresnake through the barrel, squirt some cleaning lube stuff into the action, cycle it a bunch by hand, then wipe it out with a rag, maybe use some air to blow out the areas that are hard to reach, wipe again, then call it good.

After a thousand rounds or so, I take it apart to brush things out and clean better.

6. PapaMAS

PapaMAS PapaMAS Member

I found it is important to take apart and clean the HP mags, particularly when new. New ones have a lot of dirt in them which can make them a little sticky. Then they get a bunch of soot in them from firing.

7. I do a "light" cleaning after every trip to the range. This includes running a barrel snake very lightly oiled, lubing up accessable action components, and cleaning the mags. Afterwards I've been spraying everything out with a compressor and air gun. It probably isn't needed after every trip, but I like to keep them clean.

A full disassembly and "deep" clean can wait until 1000 rounds or more. Your first disassembly may seem like a daunting task, but after your first time, it gets easy and much quicker. For full disassembly instructions you can look here among other places.

Best of luck.