Cleaning my 995ts for the 2nd time and found this...

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Dagwood, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Decided since I am home sick to clean my 995ts. I have only cleaned it one other time since I had it.

I was cleaning build up around where the firing pin protrudes with my dental tool and found this.

Attached Files:

2. Dagwood

The metal has fatigued and there is now a gouge in the metal.

It looks like its off to MoM with this one, bummer.

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Yep. It looks like the metal cracked.

4. Dagwood

I was looking at it a little closer and it looks like it's starting to crack on the other side of the hole as well. I will call MoM in the morning and see what they think.

5. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Dag, how long have you had it and about how many rounds through it? Inquiring minds (or nosy depending on your state of mind) would like to know. I need to take a close look at my 4595 now.

6. Think1st

Florida
    That's a REALLY good question. I'd like to know, too.

7. Dagwood

I bought it on 03/29/14. Almost a year old.

I don't know exactly how many rounds thru it, more than 500, less than a 1000.

I have had absolutely no issues with this rifle. It was a fluke that I decided to do a thorough cleaning. I was going to just douch it with clp and spray it out with the airhose.

I really was just bored.

8. Kiln

Kiln Member

These threads are what has kept me from buying one. Seems like the firing pin channel is a fairly common point of failure in HP carbines.

9. Think1st

Florida
    I haven't heard of these problems with the 4595 carbines. It seems to be with the 9mm or .40 models, but even those accounts are pretty rare. They may have just had a bad batch of bolt blocks sneak through. I'd be curious to know if those failures are confined to a narrow range of serial numbers.

10. Kiln

Kiln Member

I just came from reading a thread just a few spaces below this one where a couple of people have sounded off on carbine failures. One guy had two seperate failures.

Any impartial observer would say that this seems a little excessive. I can handle parts breaking but a bolt failure in the firing pin area on a striker fired gun can be dangerous.

The ideal fix would be to put a steel plate at the breech face so that the steel firing pin channel insert isn't smacked repeatedly by recoil and seperated from the zamak cast bolt.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  11. Dagwood

OK,

The official word from Tim, the tech at MoM re. this is, that there are two different metals right there. The harder steel of the firing pin channel and the Zamak. This is part of the molding process where the 2 metals come together. He stated that a lot of people mistake this for a crack. I told him that a small shard of metal was dislodged when I was cleaning it with my dental tool. He stated that this can happen due to the Zamak being a softer metal.

He did not feel that this was cause for alarm, or to warrant my sending it in to MoM. I feel satisfied with this answer and will continue to enjoy my 995ts.

This has been the most reliable firearm that I have ever had, other than the 4595ts, of course. Fun fun fun

And Kiln, if you haven't bought a carbine be cause of the negative things that you have read about them, all I can say is you are missing out. Lifetime warranty. What are you waiting for?

12. Kiln

Kiln Member

I'm just saying that the separation could at some point become dangerous if it gets out of spec enough to effect sear/firing pin engagement.

If they'd use a breech insert that covers the inside of the bolt face the problem would probably be resolved.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  13. Dagwood

For what its worth, I did a side by side comparison of the breech area on my 4595ts versus my 995ts.

It does appear that the 4595 is beefier, to be expected. There are subtle differences.

The basic construction seems to be the same though.

The top picture is the 4595 the bottom is the 995. I know, they're still filthy. lol

Attached Files: