Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I break the gun down about every other trip but do a nominal cleaning after every trip, this time on breakdown and cleaning I noticed a brownish substance in the barrel. I use Hoppe's #9 and a brush and patches, I don't have a boresnake(or plans to get one) My question is: This stuff only appears to be in the grooves not on the lands so I am sort of ruling out rust, is it more likely this is copper fouling? I have only shot FMJ roundnoses to this point so all copper plated. I thought the #9 would remove metal fouling, but doesn't seem like it has, do I need a tighter fitting patch or a different cleaner anyone can recommend? Am I right in ruling the rust out? Any help is appreciated. I store my .22 revolver i the same location and the barrel in that is a-ok but it doesn't get much of a copper diet unless I'm shooting the mag cylinder so that also factors into my thinking it's not rust in the .45.

·
Premium Member
36,070 Posts
I have been having some issues lately with cleaning my .45, too. I can't find a bore brush that fits! Every brush seems to be for the .41-.45 group...which means they are all a little small for the .45! They don't feel like they are scrubbing as well as I remember the old one's doing, nor feel as tight as the brushes in my 9mm and .40 are...
You aren't by chance having the same issue?

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I could be I just bought the brush so it's new it does move rather easily so maybe not that tight, this is the first brush I got for the .45 the .22 I have does seem to take a bit more effort. Anyone have any ideas?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.