Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since its been a while from the time I last owned a gun. I am wondering how you guys clean your C9? After its first 350 rds I ran a bore snake through it with some Hoppes 9, got as much out of the chamber as I could and then lightly oiled the slide. Should I be oiling the firing pin as well? Also, the hoppes 9 can go into the chamber as well right, and clean all the chit outta there?

Sorry for the questions, I sound like such a NEWBIE :?

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
i clean it with patches every time after range. and after 1000rd, i'll stripe clean it and oil up the firing pin and slide. i never find the liking of bore snake, it's great if i just want my barrel to be clean but i want all the corners clean too, so i use cleaning rod and patches instead.

also, i'm pretty noob too. but after first time strip my c9, i feel so much better and understand my c9 now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oldnoob---do you run a light coating of oil down the barrel too? Do you oil the firing pin?

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Doesnt hurt to put a light coat of in in the barrel, just dont get carried away

Same with the firing pin.. light coat of a thin oil or something similar would be fine, and I personally would not oil it every time I shot the pistol

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Agree - if you keep it loaded for HD or carry, you don't want your shots sitting in an oil bath, nothing good can come from that.

I have close to 200o through mine and I've not torn it down yet. I'm waiting for my first jam or similar problem......... waiting......... waiting....... :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took mine apart yesterday and was surprised in how many little cracks powder residue will end up.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
oldnoob---do you run a light coating of oil down the barrel too? Do you oil the firing pin?
i had a spray type gun oil, and i used to spay way to much oil in the barrel the next day i find out my c9 have oil leaking everywhere. since then i either don't put any oil in the barrel or very light spray and whip it off with patches.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
also, if you shoot often. around 1000~1500rd you should strip clean it. and for c9 you need to use pin punch. you can get it in normal hardware store it usually come with a kit 3 or more size in one kit. you need 3/32" just to take out the slide. it cost about 5~10 bucks in homedepo and around 10~15 bucks online for gun pin punch kit but it usually come with small hammer and box for it.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Yeah they are very easy to tear down, the guys that complain that they are difficult have obviously never tore down a M2 50 cal heavy machine gun :)

You can get a punch at your local hardware store for a couple of bucks to punch the pin out, I use a 3/32 and it works fine for the C9 JCP 40 and JHP45 pistols

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info....Yesterday I ran the bore snake through it with some #9, and then lightly oiled.....Man this forum you get replies FAST :shock:. I am planning on getting my cwp, since in AZ its pretty easy, since I've passed the 300 round "test' you think a C9 would be a good carry gun? :?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Lots of those here carry the C9. It's different than some, smaller, larger, heavier, lighter... all that stuff. Get a good holster (you can find threads on here about C9 holsters), and go to town. I don't carry C9 so I don't have good carry holster myself.

I like that you mentioned "passing the test" - good for you. Be sure your test includes your SD ammo too - you don't need to get that surprise!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome..

One of the other members (Taurus357) got me thinking about the foaming bore cleaner. I started using this on the Hi_Points as this makes it easy. I lock the slide back shoot the foam down the barrel let it foam up the chamber area too. Then I let it sit afterward I rod and wipe it out. The stuff I am using also lubes.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Ari I have wondered about that stuff also, so you have not noticed any ill effects on any plastic parts?

I bought some Break Free Power Blast cleaner, but it cautions about using on plastic parts so I am leery of using it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts