Cleaning stickers off carbine stock

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by kenikas, Jul 22, 2015.

1. kenikas

kenikas Member

I just picked up my 2nd Hi Point yesterday, a 995 carbine, and have a question about how to remove the "equalizer general's" stickers from the plastic stock with out damaging the surface. One of them came off without leaving any residue, but the other left a slimy sticky goo that I can't get off with alcohol. Does anyone know what will remove the goo without hurting the plastic stock?

2. rickm

rickm Member

I use Ronsonol lighter fluid to remove the gum left behind.

3. When removing stickers from pretty much anything,bi use a hair-dryer.

How close you hold the tip to the surface is a learned art. You want to warm/heat up one short edge of the sticker and quickly move the heat away while at the same time getting a fingernail under the edge and SLOWLY pull it back overtop itself. Keep the heat aimed at the point where the glue is, not on the label nor on the surface.

Hope that helps.

4. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I use Sprayway ammonia free glass cleaner to remove sticker residue at work detailing cars.

It takes the residue off glass, plastic, painted surfaces, everything.

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Did you remove your carbine stickers at work or do you just borrow office supplies?

6. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

:rofl: Now that was funny. On my AR mags I use my wife's finger nail polish remover. I would be leery of using it on a stock though.

7. Rachgier

No, but I did have a co-worker bring his AR to work so I could tear it apart and clean it on my lunch break. Was a quick $50 in my pocket.

8. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Was he in the Air Force? :rofl:

9. Rachgier

Sadly, no. Fellow former Marine and current Corrections Officer at the County Clink.

10. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

That's what I charge. $25 for a pistol. Unless its a Glock then its $5 more ;-) for having to touch it.

11. moona11

Now that's sad :-D

12. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Lighter fluid or WD40 soaked into it.

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Stromm +1 (blow dryer)

I use the WD40 or goo-gone
    [​IMG]

I also had some really old bug repellant that is oily. Worked on a sticky residue once.
    I thought it might be flammable but it was not, cuz I tried to light it :D :rofl: :eek:

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

• lighter fluid
    • Goo Gone
    • WD-40
    • citrus-oil based liquid cleaners
    • UN-DO Adhesive Remover (scrapbookers love this stuff)

I've been told that Simple Green works too, but I've never tried it for this. I hate the way it smells.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. 0311

0311 Member

At issue is what type of adhesive is used on the sticker. I usually START with alcohol, then lighter fluid, even paint thinner. There is a solvent for every adhesive. You just have to find out which one.

16. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

So says the guy that worships the Kraptek9............ZING! back to you mOOnzle,,,,:nahnah:

17. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    HE DOES NOT "worship" it. KT just happens to be a "good buy" like an HP!

If Glucks were just a bit higher than a KT, they would be a VALUE!!!

A $150 HP is a good value, and a $225 KT is a good value, and so is a $300 Gl*ck!

OOPS!!! No Such Thing! But there is a $300 Glock-Off, S&W SD9&40 VE which is a GOOD VALUE!!!

18. moona11

He's just mad cause he can't shoot for sh!t and has to have a glock cause the government uses them. Don't worry TNT someday you to can learn how to shoot any type of weapon if some show you how :p :p ;-)

19. kenikas

kenikas Member

Thanks all, WD-40 did the trick

20. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I have a SCCY that is the improved KrapTek. It's accurate as all get out. And has a better warranty.