Cleaning your carbine

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by DrGonzo, Apr 24, 2008.

1. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Member

In a previous thread, a poster expressed his reluctance to add a red dot sight to his carbine because removing the receiver cover is a pain. I responded that I thought that comment was odd, since you need to remove the receiver cover in order to clean it. I was then informed by other posters that this was unnecessary, as the carbine only needs to have a bore snake pulled through it every once and a while, as recommended by the manufacturer. I can't find my manual here to see exactly what the recommended cleaning procedure is, so I was wondering if anyone here has any documentation/how-to pics, etc. I come from a Marine Corps background, so weapons maintenance is important to me. I just can't imagine that a breakdown of the receiver is unnecessary for proper maintenance.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Like ANY Hi Point just run a cloth thru it and oil it a bit and they is good to go. They are designed to take a lot of abuse [verbally as well as physically]

3. When I called the factory because of my broken firing pin, I told the factory that I found it when I opened up the gun to clean it. They sounded surprised and asked me why I was opening it up to clean it. So, I guess you're not expected to open it up and clean it that often.

The manual included doesn't even show you how to disassemble it. I only found out from the manual that I bought. (see earlier thread.)

4. Its really your call, but I would not open it up every outing, just run a bore snake though it and wipe the chamber area out with a rag, a couple of dabs of gun oil here and there and then tear it down and clean it every third or fourth outing, if you feel comfortable with opening it up.

I think some of Hi Points not wanting people to open the weapons up is that a lot of their customers are new gun owners, and they get in over their heads trying to take the weapons apart and put them back together again.

That is my guess on the matter.

5. Wait--you're supposed to clean them?

Are you sure?

[​IMG]

6. I just ran some bore cleaning foam through it, scrubbed it, and ran afew patches through it. Then oiled, of course. But it's brand spankin new now :D

7. wd6bgn

wd6bgn Guest

Well I just yeall "CLEAN" at my HPs in a strong commanding tone. The dirt just falls off then, the cat has an accident, and my plastic flowers wilt.

Doe that cound as verbal abuse?

8. Just when the dirt and grim is hitting you in the face when you shoot.

9. haha nice :lol:

10. bikeman

bikeman Guest

I think you'll find when you break it down you really can't get to much more than when you don't break it down. In the barrel run a patch with bore cleaner, then the snake (3 or 4 times), then an oil patch, then then several dry patches to soak up the excess oil. wipe out the chamber, use a brush if you have one and give it a drop of oil on metal-to-metal points you can get to. I've got about 2k rounds through the 4095 and about 500 through the 995 and use this method after shooting and never have had a problem. You gotta remember AR15 (16's when you were in) are much more finicky. Good luck.

11. wd6bgn

wd6bgn Guest

Bikeman, Yeah I remember the M-16. If that thing wasn't spitting that white elephant snot stuff, it would grind to a halt. I hated the thing. Besides it didn't do much of a job on a water buffalo, where now my old M-14 <sigh>.
    Only 500 rounds through the 995? Hmm guess you only been out once or twice with it. :^)

I think I need to get a .40 next. I keep picking up brass at our local range in .40. Must have about 300 emptys now. Just need to fill them up and get something to shoot them with.

"CLEAN!!!" heh heh works every time.

12. RandyP

RandyP Member

First thing I do after a range session with any of my firearms when I get home is give them all a field stripping, clean, lube and reassembly.

As to the Red Dot-receiver cover issue? The cover is held on by just two 5/16 bolts. Took me maybe a minute to have it off. Now whether or not that changes the zero on the optic, I will find out this weekend when I head back to the range, but the Red Dot sure didn't get in the way of following the manual's disassembly procedure which got the carbine down to easy to handle and clean pieces in maybe 5 minutes max for a 1st timer? I enjoy firearms that are super easy to break down.

Plenty of nooks and crannies plus of course the firing pin and trigger aseembly that gets exposed with a full field strip to make it worth the minimal "work" to keep things clean and lubed. Plus I find the maintenance process to be an enjoyable part of the whole shooting experience.

13. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Member

His concern wasn't that he would lose his zero on the red dot, he didn't feel like installing it at all because he didn't want to remove the cover. I also strip my weapons after each range trip, and I will admit, the Hi-Point carbine is a royal pain in the ass to disassemble, but I find that it's worth it as there is lot's of gunk in the buffer springs and firing pin. Cleaning the bore only seems like a half assed effort and not proper maintenance to me.

I'll probably do a full disassembly every couple of range trips, and use the bore snake time. I'm still interested in seeing someone else's cleaning methods.

14. RandyP

RandyP Member

It may be that there is a difference in the 995s? I am a total rookie with this marque and can only reference MY experience with MY new one. The mounting ramp for the BSA was already on my carbine. All I had to do was slide the optic in place and tighten the two screws.

My iron rear sight is still in the plastic bag in the cardboard box the carbine came in along with the sling and front sight bits and pieces. Should I ever decide to not use the Red Dot (unlikely) I will then learn what it takes to mount all the iron sight parts.

15. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Member

It's not hard. Just remove the receiver cover, remove the red dot, and use an allen wrench to remove the bolts. Then switch out the rail for the rear sight.

I just can't believe that any rifle can operate indefinite without regular, detailed cleaning.

16. RandyP

RandyP Member

Based on everything else on the thing that's pretty much what I expected as far as a mounting procedure.

I guess if you wanted to switch back and forth between the optic and iron sights it would be a bit of a PIA in the tiny range station indoors at my LGS, but other than that it seems a rather simple chore.

I enjoy knowing just how my machines work. Makes troubleshooting a lot easier and saves having to ship things all over the country for simple repairs.

17. Ridge

Ridge Member

I run a boresnake through it and every once in a while I soak some Q-tips in CLP and clean the chamber and feed ramp...

18. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Like I said before, no need to break down to clean it, boresnake and a little oil.

19. Tumble lube your cast bullets in a cleaner carnauba wax, and never clean your barrel again... My barrel is shinier after I shoot than before... Three patches with Hoppes #9 and it the patches run clean... I dont even bother cleaning the barrel anymore since it seems to clean itself.

20. Call 'em and ask... they'll tell you not to field strip it. If anything, ship it back every 10,000 rounds or so... these things are built like tanks.