clear coating sandblasted slide?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by cmetzger, Jan 21, 2016.

1. cmetzger

cmetzger Member

Ive tried looking around and there's not too much info on this so please don't shoot if this has been asked or tried. Okay so I've just got the slide and safety mechanism sandblasted. I don't want to polish it bc I'm not a big fan of the shine but I'm also trying to avoid oxidization/tarnish on the slide if at all possible. I was wondering if anyone had experience or just general intelligence enough to tell me if this is a viable option. I would be using something from a spray can probably just from autozone or somewhere. Thanks a ton in advance guys and gals!

2. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

I thought the zamak goes dull Grey after a short while... with no need to coat, but I could be mistaken.

I'd rather parkerize it if it sticks not quite as cheap but clear coat won't hold up to any chemical cleaners

3. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Agree with Hans - a clearcoat won't hold up to repeated wipe downs with Hoppes. This may seem odd but I wiped the bare Zamak with vinegar. Puts a light grey patina that doesn't go away. Looks half way decent.

4. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

I sand blasted my zamak frame and slide on a Haskell. Painted it with Arvoe spray paint with no clear coat. I may have to to touch it up ocassionally, but if you put on a clear coat and it gets scratched (which it will) you will likely have to start all over.

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I've got a JHP I'm thinking of doing with bed liner. Maybe undercoating?

6. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I would just leave it alone & before you know it, it will turn into a dull grey color. Thus, NO polish & NO shine?