Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some vacation time to kill, so I took long weekends all summer. The cleaning lady showed up early this morning and woke me up, so I figured it would be a good day to clean the rifles I have been shooting lately.

After 5 hours of going between Sea Foam for the carbon and foaming CLP for the copper, I was on my final CLP application. I go to pick up my favorite ex-sniper (it shoots like a dream, and has a real "been there, done that" look. It's the one I plan on re-snipering) only to notice the CLP ran out the back of the rifle, down the butt stock, and pulled off a strip of the finish. :(

I really wanted to re-sniper this rifle, and leave it with that well used look... oh well. win some, lose some I guess.

I am up in the air about how I am going to do this. I could wipe the old finish off with DA, and then apply new shellac; or, I could just apply new shellac and let the 2 layers blend. I need to do some research to see how they did it when they were rearsenaled. Any idea Krippp?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
strip off the shellac and go back with a tung oil, hand rubbed finish and I promise, it will look alot more correct and proper than the shellac ever did
I have been trying to find info on whether or not mosins were originally finished with shellac. I can't seem to find proof one way, or the other. It just seems like they wouldn't use shellac as a finish so much as they would use it like cosmo to protect them in storage. It's like when you see a Finn captured rifle with a Russian stock, they never have shellac on them. They don't appear to be sanded, but have an oil finish (like pine, or a 1/3 type of mix).

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
Zero, the Russians did not start using shellac until 1943, then only on laminated stocks the hardwoods were still oil finished. In 1944 the laminateds started to take over all production guns and shellac was being used on everything that was coming out of Tula and Izhevsk. It is estimated that as much as 98% of all remaining Mosins at the end of the war were arsenal refinished and all of those received a healthy dose of shellac at that time with many receiving new stocks also. I will try to find the link to this info for you later tonight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts