Co-Witness vs. No-Witness.

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by stremph, Feb 12, 2008.

1. stremph

stremph Guest

Taking my cue from Patiot2980 with his red dot mounted on the ATI's forward barrel cover, I thought I'd try to set up my 995 so I could use both my irons and my red dot. Since this was just a trial run, I kept it cheap by buying a 6" piece of pre-drilled polymer rail.

[​IMG]

I probably should have taken a pic of the sight picture with this set up, but I'm an idiot some times.

The positioning of the scope and the irons was decent and provided a typical lower 1/3 co-witness. I thought I'd like it, but I didn't. The lenses on the Simmons red dot are tinted blue, and the small aperture on the factory Hi-Point sights is a bit too small to allow enough light through for it to really give me the sight picture I wanted. I thought about opening up the aperture a bit to make it more of a ghost ring than a peep sight, but then decided that I hated the look of it (the irons really fugg-up the lines of the ATI stock) and that I'd just mount the red dot on the receiver cover like a normal guy.

[​IMG]

So now that I've decided to abandon the forward-mounted-scope + iron sight thing, I'm left with several holes in the top cover of the ATI stock. So I decided to keep the rail up there to cover them up. I guess I'll eventually cover the length of it with a longer rail, but for now, this works. Oh yeah - the rail I have on there now? It's mounted slightly crooked. Have I mentioned I'm an idiot?

Man, with my drilling holes in a perfectly good aftermarket stock and Farmkid futzing up a perfectly good aftermarket trigger, y'all are getting some great lessons in what not to do tonight.

2. Not sure how much of it is being an idiot or just trial and error. One thing it does do is keep me from doing the same things you guys have already tried. Makes me look smarter then I really am. Thanks guys.

3. Wow, i feel kind of bad now. Like I've led someone down the wrong path. :( sorry it didn't work out dude.

4. Fenix

Fenix Guest

I'd like to know where you got the rail though, thats one thing ya did right :)

5. stremph

stremph Guest

Don't sweat it - it was an idea I was excited about, and perhaps with a different optic and a different rear sight assembly, it would have worked awesomely.

Bonus is that now I have a tacticool rail on top that makes little kids say "COOLEST GUN EVER!"

And who knows - I might revisit the concept w a different optic and different sights down the road. It's not like I plan on getting rid of the damned thing.

6. stremph

stremph Guest

I bought the rail from Midway. 6" polymer rail. If you're serious about having a solid rail mounted to the top of your ATI stock, go for an aluminum rail. This rail was warped a bit, and in the top picture, you can see where the rear end of the rail is flipped up a li'l bit. That's right where the top cover meets the receiver shroud, so there was no room for a mounting bolt there. An aluminum rail wouldn't go concave on you like that.

7. Fenix

Fenix Guest

Actually the rail is for another project I am working on, will post pics as soon as the rail and other equipment get here. *mad cackle*