Cobra/Bearman Derringers

Discussion in 'Cobra/Davis/Lorcin' started by CulperRing, Nov 7, 2020.

1. CulperRing

CulperRing Member

I am thinking of getting a Cobra/Bearman Derringer, has anyone played around with swapping barrels? Is it easy to do? Do you think it has been worth it? I am leaning towards the smaller calibers (22, 25, 32) but might be open to the bigger ones. Do you prefer the smaller or bigger calibers?

Thank you.

2. At one time Cobra offered a kit with two or three barrels to allow you to swap them around.

From my own experience, I had a Davis in .22mag, swapped barrels to .22LR and it was a cinch.

I prefer the smaller calibers, there's not much to hold onto.

ichthyo likes this.

3. Delbert

Delbert Member

I've got a Cobra(Cimarron) large frame in 38spl. It also came with a spare barrel in 32? something or other caliber I've not ever seen ammo for, so I never used it. They are made of an alloy much like Heritage Arms(Rough Rider 6-shooters).

It's nothing to swap barrels within the same size of framework. So easy even Biden could swap barrels.

You either have a small or large frame and Cimarron derringer website will help you to determine what frame you have and spare barrels that will work. The barrels and replacement parts are quite cheap to pickup some spares.

I recommend you to stay with the small frame calibers in rimfire, unless you jump up to better made derringers in steel, like a Bond Arms that can handle more powerful ammos over longer periods of time. You can even get a Bond Arm derringer in 45 long colt where you can also shoot 410 shot shells if you want and barrels up to I believe 10".

Also, the trigger design is different on a derringer(at least the cheaper ones) due to many not having a trigger finger enclosure loop(open trigger design). It requires one to do a pull down and back motion with the trigger finger to overcome the firing sequence easier. If one pulls the trigger straight back, the pull feels like 15-20# before hammer break. One cannot overcome the way the trigger is designed either, to make it better(at least Davis/Cobra/Cimarron).

4. CulperRing

CulperRing Member

Thank you for the comments.

I use to have a Davis 22 Mag. I got rid of it before I knew one could swap barrels :(

I am leaning towards the smaller caliber one. The 22LR frame will support the 22Mag, 25ACP and 32ACP barrels correct?

I have to admit a 9mm or 380 is intriguing but I would imagine not much fun to shoot.

5. @CulperRing The firing pins won't align on the rimfire vs centerfire. You'd have to swap them out, which isn't a big deal to do. You unscrew the FP bushings and swap them along with the FP itself.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  6. ichthyo likes this.
  7. histed

histed Supporting Member

There is a "cool factor" that goes with these little guns. I love the looks, but will probably never spring for the price. Always convince myself that "for that price, I could buy a ....." Doesn't stop me from admiring then, though

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    ichthyo and undeRGRound like this.
  8. CulperRing

CulperRing Member

Thank you, I thought I missing something in regards to swapping barrels.

9. CulperRing

CulperRing Member

Some of them are going for crazy prices right now (like everything else is). But if I find a really good deal, I might be tempted. LOL!

histed likes this.
  10. bumthum

bumthum Member

I used to think that too, but then COVID/Election/whatever hit and my other SNS pistol interests started costing as much as brand new guns from Ruger/Taurus/etc. The thought of paying $150-$200 for a SNS w/o box and papers is gag unto me with a spoon. About 6 months ago I saw a few Davis derringers @ $100-$125 in .22, .25, and .32... I should have jumped on one then, but I'm going to keep my eyes open for one of them now.

undeRGRound and histed like this.
  11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    2 shots, make them count!!!
    Only good as a B.U.G. especially in rimfire IMO

12. CulperRing

CulperRing Member

Would be fun to do a side by side comparison to a NAA Mini. Weight? Trigger? Reload times?
    Accuracy? Sights?

Would be AWESOME if NAA would make a Mini in 25 :) But at this point my only hope of getting a 25 ACP revolver is a Velo Dog.

undeRGRound likes this.
  13. Nothing wrong with a Velodog, as long as it still functions.

14. CulperRing

CulperRing Member

I have seen a few in the past for pretty reasonable prices. Sadly, I let them go.

I have read that some are pretty high quality and others not so much. And that telling the difference can be a bit of a challenge since there were so many knockoffs made.

15. bumthum

bumthum Member

Kind of off topic, but along these lines, it would be great to see Ruger make a Wrangler in .25 ACP... it would make a neat camp/kit gun.

16. magnut

magnut Member

it would be a great novelty but it would never sell well enough for any profit. I would like a 25acp and even a 32acp revolver as well. Something quality the size of an RG that could use moon clips. However... 25acp and 32acp are basically on the way out so we are lucky if we get anything new. I was hoping ruger would offer the LCP in 25 along with 22lr but they are idiots who have obvioussly never spent any real time shooting rimfire pocket pistols let alone carry one for self defense.

Possibley things could change if the firearms community realizes that shooting 380acp out of a pistol the size of a raven is not real fun and discover how enjoyable small calibers in small guns can be. They way things are in this particular climate though it might take a while as most folks are carrying bigger guns with bigger calibers and larger magazine capacities. If we ever get back to a calmer environment and casual pocket carry is the norm again I could see a resurgence in smaller vest pocket autos. Something the size of a ruger LCP or Keltec p32 in 25acp would be fantastic... even make it a double stack now that we have thin polymer frames. How about a sleek single stack ultralight polymer frame 25 about the size of a baby browning?

Dont get me wrong. I like big powerful guns as well. One of these days (if we all survive) gun manufacturers are going to stop copying glocks and start making new designs and even automag type pistols again. These days everyone is just a copycat trying to suck marketshare away from each other. The only real outside the box folks these days are Keltec. They basically create their own market.

undeRGRound likes this.
  17. magnut

magnut Member

yes absolutely, It gets to a point where its just stupid. The whole point of SNS type guns are cheap fun. Once that goes out the window its just overpriced junk and you are a sucker. Lots of good deals on real guns out there. Maybe not right now but since ammo is rediculous..... it doesnt matter anyways. Best to check out new airguns in times like these to plink away. Real guns and ammo is not to be wasted.

Now I like a lot of SNS pistols but I am not going to choose one over something like a Beretta for an extra $50-$100. Thats just stupid.

undeRGRound likes this.
  18. CulperRing

CulperRing Member

A double stack 25, the size of a LCP would be awesome!!!!!!

undeRGRound, Rerun and ichthyo like this.
  19. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Make it +P capable and 20+ Rounds... standard capacity, fits inside the grip!

bumthum likes this.
  20. magnut

magnut Member

Thats would be a tough one. The rim on the 25acp sucks up some mag space. 13 or 14rds is probably doable. Either way the mag will need to be ribbed on the sides like the beretta 81 32acp magazine as apposed to the 380. Doubtful it will happen unless Keltec gets involved and they seem to be just finding ways to make things more fragile. Ruger just copies everyone else these days. I wish remington could have gotten their act together because they were doing some neat pistols that probably would have worked themselves out eventually. I am really curious who bought all the pistol tooling for the remington pistols. It would be nice if someone kept making them.

Firearms market has become so non creative and stale over the years there really isnt anything that interesting. Everything is just a glock knock off or a Keltec clone of some sort. So much for innovation.

bumthum likes this.