Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Coffee

1K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  adam01364 
#1 ·
I love coffee. Nothing beats Sumatra. Freshly roasted, ground, and made in a French press. Sometimes I want a a good jolt. Then it’s time to get out the Esbit, Cafe Bustello, and make a nice Cuban Expresso. But that takes time.

Sometimes you just don’t have the time. Like this morning. I overslept. Needed my morning cup ‘o joe. Went into the kitchen put a couple cups of water on to boil, spooned in some Juan Valdez instant, and in less time than it takes to steep the Sumatra I was enjoying my morning coffee.

Can not say that I am a fan of most instant coffee, but I always keep a jar of Juan Valdez instant on hand. You will never mistake it for fresh ground and brewed or the smooth strong taste of Cuban Expresso, but it makes for a dang good cup ‘o joe. Bold, strong, with a hint of vanilla. It’s a smooth instant, dosen’t have that nasty bitter flavor I find in most instant coffee.

If you are ever in the need of a quick cup ‘o joe, may I suggest you give Juan Valdez instant a try.

#19 ·
Bought the wife a cappuccino machine, I got spoiled with cappuccinos and mochas

Worked in a motorcycle shop, and we drank nothing but Bustelo, our misc parts inventory was all inside Bustelo cans everywhere.
THAT is some good Espresso!
I finally saw a premium, dark brown can, as opposed to the bright yellow... don't see it as often, I think it sells out!
Packaging and labeling Packing materials Sports equipment Plastic Gas

#4 ·
I guess I got to get me one of those Kerrigan machines. Actually, we do have one at the main house. It’s the wife’s go to. I have a French press there that I use when there. I have another French Press at the second house, and a smaller one that lives in my backpack.

this is how I make Cafe Bustello. The Expresso grind is too fine for the French Presses.

Reactions: moona11
#7 ·
Minus the instant stuff and thats what I use at home. At work we have some industrial shit. And they are installing those fancy 1 cup machines in every breakroom. No idea what kind they are going to use in them.

#6 ·
I grind whole bean coffee. Sumatra is really good if I can find it at a reasonable price, which in these parts, is practically never. So now I grind a 50/50 mix of Eight O'Clock Coffee's "Dark Italian Expresso" and "Original".
Food Single-origin coffee Coffee Ingredient Seed

Reactions: undeRGRound
#8 ·
Reactions: adam01364
#16 ·
I drink a lot of coffee. I was forbidden coffee as a youngster. It was an adults drink. I can remember Paw-Paw drinking Sanka for breakfast. It was served to him in a cup on a saucer. He would pour the brew in the saucer, then sip from the saucer.

Don’t think I ever even had any coffee until I was in the Marine Corps. What I had mostly came out of marmite cans, (yes, I was a REMF, @RĀCHE can tell those who don’t know what that that is). The instant that came out of the C-Rats became a delicacy to me.

I always bought ground coffee until after Hurricane Hugo left me without power, gas, even water for 5 weeks, I became a prepper of sorts and started storing the green beans because they could be stored for up to 12 months rather than the 2 weeks for ground, or 6 weeks for the roasted bean. The green coffee bean can be ground raw and a tea made from it, or roasted and ground for just a good ole’ cup o’ joe. I also like to snack on the toasted whole bean.

I have become addicted to coffee, and I use the term literally. My daily intake is somewhere between 24 and 36 cups. You will rarely see me without my 24oz travel tumbler within arms reach.

#17 ·
I have become addicted to coffee, and I use the term literally. My daily intake is somewhere between 24 and 36 cups. You will rarely see me without my 24oz travel tumbler within arms reach.
If it wasn't for my blood pressure...

I was a 3 pot a day drinker which equates to at least 6 of these 40 oz monsters...
Tableware Drinkware Cup Wood Serveware

Reactions: moona11
#18 ·
Before my bypass, I was right there with both of you. Three to four pots a day while teaching, at least that before when driving trick for almost 20 years. Now the caffeine does bad things to my heart

#20 ·
I got so lucky on my last MI. Two 100% blockages in the LAD. A double widowmaker. That's the one where I was participating in some rack pt and drove myself in to the ER.

They wanted to crack me open and do the bypass but my cardiologist pulled rank and they went in from both sides of my groin and my right wrist with 2 cardiologists working on me and a third cardiothoracic surgeon prepping to cut me open.

#26 ·
So, compared to your namesake, you're about in the kitten class? Maybe we should form a caffeine support. We could call it CDA. "Hi. May name is (his) Ted and I'm a coffee addict."

Reactions: undeRGRound
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.