Cold weather fav

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mr_flintstone, Feb 19, 2015.

1. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

I'm sitting here eating a bowl of homemade chili. That got me thinking. I always make one of two things during a big snow; either chili or homemade vegetable soup.

What's your go to cold weather food?

2. colthrash

colthrash Member

crock pot stew...

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

"firehouse" chili, buttermilk biscuits with sausage gravy, and whatever soup I can make with left over meat from the night before.

I do an odd soup every once in a while and my kids love it. I boil corned beef or ham and peas until it basically turns to mush. While that's boiling I bake off some really big baked potatoes sliced in half lengthwise, wrapped in foil with some butter, garlic, salt, and pepper. Then I'll scoop them out to make potato bowls. I take the scooped potato guts, spices and seasoning, and some heavy cream and mix it all together with my immersion blender to make a super rich and creamy base, then I bring it to a boil, throw in some cubed up potatoes, and a little bit of the shredded meat I held out. 30 minutes later it's done and served in the potato bowls and topped with a bit of shredded cheese. Once your soup is gone, you get to eat the bowl.

4. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Some form of soup, chili, stew, pot roast...

5. Bread, nothing smells better through out the house than fresh bread in the oven..