Cold Weather Gear

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by .40cal_in_Idaho, Dec 1, 2007.

1. What do you have in your BOB/GHB to get you home safely in the Winter season?

Here is my stuff:

Bought two pairs of these:
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/40152-48247-606.html

Here are the wool pants I got at the local Army/Navy surplus store:
    [​IMG]

Here is my base layer Smartwool shirt, followed by the pants:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are my boots; Keen Blackcombs, rated to -25 degrees F:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My coat; Stearns brand, has numerous pockets, and you can add a zip in liner:
    [​IMG]

I also have numerous hand and toe warmers, thick wool socks (also purchased at the Army/Navy surplus store...I love that place!) a magnesium firestarter, matches, emergency foil blanket, black wool watch cap and shelter half.

There are probably a few more things I should have, but I can't think of any at the moment.

2. My winter gear isnt as fancy as what you have but I do toss in a pair of insulated underwear, 2 pair wool socks, wool watch cap, gloves, water proof hunting boots tied to GHB, chap sticks and extra space blanket. Also keep a winter coat in the vehicle with GHB and a compact fleece blanket.

Something else I do is boost my fire making gear 2x everything and add extra soup mixes and hot drinks. Nothing like a hot cup of soup and hot coco when yer out in cold weather on foot. Also keep extra fuel tabs for the Esbit just to heat up the water for the soups and hot coco drink.

If I lived in a place that had harsher winters my winter gear would be a good bit more than what I now have, and perhaps a lot better quality.

rimfirehunter

3. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

I have some pretty hard core Wintergear. Out on a camp out at -14 and it was so very cold. pot of boiling water blew over and froze before it leveled out.

4. I think I have a couple of light jackets and a sweatshirt or two. Does my Outback oilskin duster count?

No offense guys, but if it snows there, I don't go there.

5. Ari

Ari Guest

I have a set of Carharrt extreme bibs.. That have worked every good for me. I have had them in some very cold places

[​IMG]

6. My cold weather gear is pretty extreme, more than I'll ever need but I'd rather stay warm in an emergency.

7. During the winter months here, most of my outside work cloths double as Get home Clothes. Double insulated(black lined) carhart bibs, jackets and coveralls for real cold days. Differnt types of long underwear, sweat shirts, gloves and what not. as for boots, I use my hunting boots. Irish Setters made by Redwing boots, made out of water proof gore-tex with 800 gram thinsulate lining. very warm, crazy light. And socks, lots of socks. I keep a minimum of 6 pair of cotton tube socks in my GHB at all times (would use wool, but it chafes my skin raw, always has). My feet sweat alot, and I have learned that dry feet are comfortable and warm feet. As long as you have a good pair of boots, you can improvise the rest.

8. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

mostly swedish and german cold weather surplus. Heavy on wool and layers. US field jacket and parka to top it off.

SW

9. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

I am moving to Canada later this winter so I will need to completely redo my winter gear. Sure in Colorado or Utah it gets to -10 or so but nothing of what I have heard of Canada. I will be moving to Montreal if any one is a Canadian could tell me just how cold it gets so I can be ready for it.

10. I spent a couple weeks TDY at a Canadial AF base back in the late 80's, and all I really remember was freezing my butt off while out on the flightline. Going from 60-70F Florida weather to sub freezing temps in a matter of a few hours was a real eye opener for me when it came to cold weather gear. Every since then I have been a firm believer in wool socks for winter wear! LOL

11. still got my poly-pro's from army days

12. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Why on earth would you wanna move there? And yes, Montreal gets bitterly cold. Whatever you have for winter gear get more and better.

14. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

guns will be staying back in Colorado.

15. Good call..........

16. I just pack an extra swim suit.

17. icono

icono Member

most(read all) of my cold weather gear is form the army. I have my insulated boots, poly-pros, and gortex top and bottoms and much more.
    I also toss in my 4 part sleeping systems that goes down to -40 below that way if i have to camp out in the car im toasty warm.
    i also toss in a few MRE's and a gallon of water and im good to go for a few days if need be.

*edited* to make it fit the screen better

18. Like icono all my cold weather gear for my BOB is all Army surplus. I picked up a "Bear Suit" along with Goretex pants and parka in like new condition for $75. A set of poly pro long underwear, poly socks and some wool socks an I'm good to go. As far as boots go being a hunter I have several pairs ranging in thinsulite from 200 grams to 1200 grams. I am working on the Army issue modular sleeping bag that icono speaks of as well. I have learned from hunting in the middle of January that dressing in layers is the best way to keep warm.

19. 99/100

99/100 Member

That goes with the old acronym for cold injury prevention
    C Keep it clean O avoid overheating L layer your clothing D keep it dry pretty much that was the goal of most Army gear. I have to say the the goretex parka has to be right up there with the best they ever found

20. Z28Driver

Z28Driver Member

Having lived most of my life in Michigan, I learned early on for the need to be prepared for cold weather. I always kept a pair of Sorel brand (originally a Canadian boot company, now U.S. owned) "Blizzard" boots which are rated down to -40F in my truck. Also, a NorthFace brand McMurdo Parka (hooded); Some Thinsulate insulated rubber, waterproof gloves; a flashlight; a shovel; water; food; windshield washer solvent; cat litter (for wheel traction, WHEN you get stuck. Sand holds moisture and will freeze into a block in your vehicle); a wool blanket; emergency candle; etc. Several years ago in Northern Michigan, there was a young woman who was working as a waitress. She lived in a rural area and had helped close the restaurant one night. On her way home she lost control of her vehicle and got stuck in a ditch. Her car would not start and she did not have a cell phone. That night it got down to something like -20 below zero. When she was rescued the next morning, they had to amputate her feet, hands, ears and nose due to frostbite. If you are moving to a really cold environment like Michigan or Canada, don't ever underestimate the danger of low temperature weather.

:shock: