Collect Model 9? I need advice please

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by desktopgrass, Sep 25, 2014.

1. desktopgrass

desktopgrass Member

I have this model C , 9mm I believe is from the mid 90's. It has shiny slide, fixed sights, polymer frame, no last round hold open.

I took it apart to clean it for the first time since buying it and I noticed a small lip on the feed ramp where the ammo meets the ramp.

I was going to send it to MOM for warranty work but I understand I probably won't get the old gun back but rather a newer replacement. I also understand that people collect the various Hi-point guns.

My question... return it for warranty work or see if any collectors are interested.

Here are pics of the pistol.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If the lip isn't causing any issues, don't worry about it.

If it bothers you, and you want a newer model, ask someone for a decent used gun price, sell it, and buy a newer model.

If it bothers you but you want that gun, call the factory and ask them if they can fix it up without replacing it with a new model. They'll give you the 411, and you will know your options for certain.

Welcome to the club!

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

If it works leave it, if it doesn't sandpaper the lip off the feedramp.
    That doesn't look like any sort of collectible HP to me so don't worry about it.
    If you mess it up HP will fix it for you.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Dude...do you even read this forum? Polymer frame, old style slide? It's a transitional gun, collectible, though not "valuable" in the normal collectible sense.

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    It's an complete original smooth slide fixed sight Model - C. You take that back.

Or make it disappear forever. A C-9 barrel will fix it right up.

6. desktopgrass

desktopgrass Member

7. desktopgrass

desktopgrass Member

It has value to collectors?

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yeah. But HP collectors aren't like Winchester collectors. We pay LESS than retail, it's a used POS Zamak gun after all.:D

Seriously...a guy that really really wanted that gun MIGHT go $150. But we'd all prefer $100.;)

9. cicpup

Vermont
    Define value? Money? No more than any well used Hi-Point 9mm. $100 tops. To someone who collects HPs and needs one? Might get a bit more and talk them into paying shipping. Might get enough for a C-9. If it goes to MoM it won't return the same. Very least they'll refinish it textured. Worst case you'll get a new C-9 and it will be destroyed. Good for you but be a shame to see it gone.

10. desktopgrass

desktopgrass Member

Value = money at this point although I'm almost feeling sentimental about it for no good reason.

Here are pictures of the pistol assembled.

Can someone tell me the pros and cons of this vintage model vs. a newer model.

Attached Files:

11. cicpup

Vermont
    Newer has adjustable sights and LRHO. That's it.

12. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

The value of this gun is $$$
    If buyer is not a collector it may be worth $50
    If put together, clean, & operable it maybe worth $175
    If you put it in box & ship it to me in parts, not knowing whether it will work or NOT? I may end having a box of unneeded HP parts?
    I offered you $75 with you paying the shipping.
    I want a Model "C" smooth slide, but I can wait & find a nicer piece.

13. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Oh I'm sorry....did I step in something ?
    ;)

14. superbeast1098

superbeast1098 Member

Newer ones also have the magazine drop safety, while the older one did not... :)

15. cicpup

Vermont
    Yea that too.

16. desktopgrass

desktopgrass Member

I appreciate the offer. The gun is assembled and in working order. I did not address the feed ramp issue yet. Just put it back together to fire it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  17. desktopgrass

desktopgrass Member

If I replace parts like recoil spring, barrel and ramp, firing pin and spring, sear pin and spring am I making it non original or are those parts like oil filters and water pumps in cars?

18. bluharley

bluharley Member

I'm not sure, I'm a newbie too, but I would think the slide, frame and barrel are "the gun", the rest are parts that wear out. JMO.

19. MotorCraftGT

MotorCraftGT Member

Did the JHP ever come without a LRHO?

20. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Also, different trigger style, different finish on the slide, old style round dolls head slide retainer, old firing pin and spring setup.