Colorado 'sniper' shootings

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by SWAGA, Jun 4, 2015.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

2. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Probably one of Obama's rogue muslims...

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

For a Domestic Terrorist "Sniper" attack? Not statistically speaking, it isn't.

Statistically speaking, the perpetrator is most likely a white male, and associates his religion as either Christian or Agnostic. Think "Clock Tower" or "D.C. Sniper."

That, of course, brings up the whole concept of FBI style "Profiling" for crime. Sniping, as a crime, requires a lot more training, planning, and determination, a lot more "smarts," than the average spur-of-the-moment violent crime against persons and/or property.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Yeah, I live about 40 miles south of both these towns. My wife and I were in Loveland two weekends ago checking out the lake for boating this year. It didn't even dawn on me til we got back that we were in that neck of the woods. I'll certainly CC if ever up that way again. Scary, sick $h!t! :eek:

5. Rerun

Rerun Member

'Christian or Agnostic'???

The UT Clock Tower shooter had a brain tumor and the DC Sniper was a Muslim convert.

With today's political tempo, it could be anybody.

eldar

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Usually, yes.

And?

Yup.

My point exactly. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. Rerun

Rerun Member

It may have affected his choice of actions...

More so than what his religion may have been.

eldar

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I agree. My point is that being a Moslem, as Mary suggests, isn't, statistically speaking, the driving factor in these sort of "Sniper" crimes.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I seem to recall someone telling us how worthless statistics are :D

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

When used improperly, yes, absolutely. That's the strange thing about statistics. If you really want to be able to understand what statistics are telling you, you have to understand how statistics, in general, are derived, and the specifics of how any given statistic was created. It's like a 1,000 Congressional Bill; very easy to hide important stuff inside without the laity knowing.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Kirk, your brainwashed liberal attitude is disturbing. D.C. sniper were black Muslims, I should know. I buy/sell guns from the FFL that sold them the rifle...show us the statistics. Are you saying a person has to be smart to be a sniper? That is crazy...anyone can be trained to snipe...even gomer pile.

12. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    And I guess your the one who gets to decide when they are used "improperly.":rolleyes:

13. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Not really. To be a real sniper takes brains and its a gift you can't learn your born with it. But anyone can take a gun and shoot someone with it. That doesn't make them snipers. Hunters like to pretend to be snipers. They shoot a deer with a 7mm with the Hubble scope in it at 200 yards or less and claim it was a damm near impossible shot. The media called these pos killers snipers for lack of a better name or to Jake up the hype. Most have just been nut jobs that snapped. If it was a real sniper sh!t would get real bad real fast.

14. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

We all know what they were, it was plastered all over the place.

But the initial FBI profile and reports from the MSM said that, based on statistics, they should be looking for a middle-aged white male, with prior military service, and acting alone. Remember all the shocked faces when they were wrong?

15. Rerun

Rerun Member

'And, he was driving around in a white van'.

This despite the fact that Malvo was caught within the nets on several occasions and had his vehicle and Driver's license information recorded.

eldar

16. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

And we all know statistics never lie. :D

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

BWA-HAHAHAHAHA

Me? A Lib?

HAHAHAHA. Dude, yer kill'n me!

No, I am saying two things. First I'm saying that your assumptions about me are beyond ludicrously laughable and into incomprehensibly stupid. Maybe you should hang around a lil bit longer and get to know who you're talking to before you say such patently idiotic things.

Second, I'm saying that the amount of planning and preparation required to carry off a successful sniper style crime campaign, as opposed to just shooting one person, requires a lot more preparation and planning &, yes, intellect than simply being a fool and mugging the first likely victim you see. It takes smarts to get away with a long-term sniper campaign. Any idiot can walk up and shoot someone on an instant. But they tend to get caught pretty quick.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

As someone who's actually been trained to prepare statistics, yes, I have a lot better idea of what is proper then your run of the mill low information consumer.

See, that's one thing, having actual training does make you more of an expert than someone without actual training. I assume, for instance, that you're not going to argue that someone who has not been trained as an armorer is more of an expert at the job than someone who has had training at being an armorer?

But, please, don't let your ignorance of what I've been trained in or not prevent you from making more wildly inaccurate assumptions. It's proving to be entertaining. :)

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

They don't. However, very frequently people trying to presenting the statistics do so in such a way as to misrepresent what they appear to say to people who don't understand how statistics are created, and don't have access to the base data, or the understanding of how to interpret it.

One classic example of this is how anti gunners had statistics showing that gun violence and gun deaths was an epidemic among children. This was true except for the fact that they had we redefined "children" as anyone up to the age of 25. If you did not have access to their base data or did not know to search in the base data, this number would have been hidden from you and you would continue repeating this statistic to this day. As indeed, many antigunners still do.

20. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

If memory serves me, the last lady that was shot was interviewed on the news last night. She said a car pulled up beside her and suddenly her side window shattered and she didn't even realize she was shot until later on. I seriously don't think this psycho is a sniper by any stretch of the imagination. For one thing, he picks very easy targets. Not the nature of a real sniper. :rolleyes: