Colt chapter (19)11?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by SWAGA, Jun 15, 2015.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2015/06/14/colt-chapter-11/71228058/

Colt Defense, the storied firearms maker, announced late Sunday that it has filed for a Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization..

Colt said that in making the filing in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware, it hopes the process will allow it to quickly sell its business operations in the U.S and Canada. A firm, Sciens Capital Management, plans to buy virtually all of Colt's assets.

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's been coming for a long while. They were heavily dependent upon a military contract that fell apart. They simply don't have enough consumer products selling to keep them afloat. What they've got is good but they've priced themselves out of the entry level and mid range markets for a lot of it, and the Pony/Pocket-Lite isn't enough all on it's own.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. Rerun

Rerun Member

True dat.

eldar

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It's a fatal mistake to base a business model on one major customer. Expanding to meet that one customer's needs can be pricy and result in catastrophic effects if they dump you. They also gain some serious leverage over you in negotiations, which can be costly as well.

Just as an economy or an investment portfolio needs to be diversified, so does a customer base.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Well, Colt isn't going to be "going away" but things will have to change for them and it'll hurt for a while.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. Think1st

Florida
    The folks buying them out will change their business model and make them a better company in the process. It's too bad the same thing couldn't happen for Government Motors and Chrysluccioni. They will both fail, again, because they didn't go through the same process.

7. lsi1

lsi1 Member

guess we're never gonna get the python back.

Yes Yes I know that the machinery was scrapped and the people who did the fitting and polishing have retired but a guy can still dream?

Wait i forgot that right got signed away by an executive action

8. Think1st

Florida
    What, what, WHAT???

9. Think1st

Florida

Attached Files:

10. lsi1

lsi1 Member

I remember hearing and i think it came from the gun talk radio show that colt had made the determination that theyir military contracts were more valuable to them than their da revolvers were and scrapped the machinery used to produce them. I'm not sure the validity of those claims but seems reasonable to me.

11. lsi1

lsi1 Member

if i am wrong someone please correct me because i wish it wasn't true.

12. Think1st

Florida
    It seems to me that retooling to bring back the revolvers might be a good way to regain some more civilian market share. The AR and 1911 markets are saturated, but the revolver market isn't as much so.

Rebuilding the company will require building a customer base for something more unique than a horse engraving, and that will mean new products that pique a lot of interest.

13. lsi1

lsi1 Member

i agree completely having just shopped for an AR I didn't really even consider Colt. The market is saturated with lower price comparable feature firearms.

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

They could nearly bring back solvency on "Walking Dead Commemorative Editions" alone. :p

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Or even just good re-issues of old products, priced competitively.

Which will only happen by gutting the management, moving the factory to a cheaper labor state, and maybe hiring some of those retirees back for a temporary job consulting, or training noobs.

I mean, if they went with a cowboy style revolver, a Python 2, a carry revolver, and a semi auto or two...say a 1911, some type of polymer duty gun, and the Mustang type pocket carry...plus the AR, in several different levels of fit/finish, and maybe a few .223 case-based calibers?

16. Think1st

Florida
    Exactly. Of course, if they went back into the AR market, they'd have to make a piston AR. Something else that they could do would be to use the SU-16's operating system, and adapt it to an AR receiver.

17. Think1st

Florida
    They could also mount the sights on the Python to allow it to be effectively aimed while being held above the line of sight--just like Rick does!

18. Rerun

Rerun Member

They should rename the New Company ~ "DOLTS!"

(rhymes with Colt)

eldar

19. lsi1

lsi1 Member

i will buy one and limp wrist every time i dry fire. It works for Rick he can't miss.

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's a variant of Point Shooting. Stop being a H8T3R!

;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk