Colt Comes Out Fighting From Chapter 11

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lklawson, Jan 22, 2016.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Keefe Report: Colt Comes Out Fighting From Chapter 11
    by Mark Keefe - Thursday, January 14, 2016
    "The workers and management at Colt have good news, and it could not come at a better time. As the entire firearm industry prepares to head for the Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade (SHOT) Show in Las Vegas, it seems Colt Defense has already hit it big. No need to bet it all on red. The iconic maker just announced it has emerged from Chapter 11 Restructuring and is ready to compete. The takeaways are that Colt reduced its debt, has some capital to work with (something that the company has been starved for years, perhaps even decades), has a new lease on its physical plant and a new lease on life thanks to deal with its union. Back in the 1990s, a strike and issues with its labor force brought the company founded in 1836 by Samuel Colt to its knees.

Now that it is not is under the cloud of bankruptcy, the company has dynamic, realistic management and new products ... well, kind of new. The new guns from Colt, which Field Editor Wiley Clapp has seen, are based on its legacy products, but aggressive pricing and an understanding that the Hartford maker should make products people want to buy at a price they can afford is huge step. As top management has told me, these are just first steps. They know where they want to go, and it will take a while to get there. The new management has great vision, now they have the tools to get the tooling to get job done. Although Colt is making the new M45 CQB pistols for the Marine Corps and is once again making M4s for the military, its leadership knows the future is with the commercial market. I have been hard on Colt in the past, but knowing the players and the products, it looks like the future of America's second-oldest gunmaker is bright. Stay tuned. Colt, in the vernacular of Vegas, is a player again."

The most important part, imo: "...aggressive pricing and an understanding that the Hartford maker should make products people want to buy at a price they can afford..."

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  2. Now let's see if they actually follow up. I am not holding my breath, that they will follow Ruger's business model. Ruger does exactly what they claim they are going to do.

If they do not get into plastic guns, and bring back some of their affordable revolvers lines there return is only temporary. If they do follow through many collectors will be crying.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I don't think they will cry...the old guns are STILL the old guns, and all a good strong modern company does for the old stuff, is provide a fan base. Some young kids buy a few modern Colts, enjoy them, then hear stories of the mythical Python, a fine, but rare and expensive "olde tyme" Colt that their Grandpa and his buddies might have used; and suddenly...they WANT it.;)

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I was just thinking they should bring back the Python.

I still say that they could have paid off their entire debt if they'd released a Walking Dead Commemorative Python. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Exactly. They can make a minor change so the old gun is still unique and desirable, like a pre-64 Winchester, or the old 3 screw Ruger, and everyone wins.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That was the line that made me laugh as well...:rolleyes:

If you run a business...isn't that the basis of EVERY decision you make, and everything you do?:confused:

7. Springfield, and Ruger are the companies that Colt should have been. Shame it took finial disaster to wake them up. But we have to see if they follow through.

1 Limited edition Python.
    2 Plastic fantastic duty pistol.
    3 More plastic conceal carry pistols.
    4 Return to the revolver base production~~Police Positive, Cobra, Detective, Trooper.

I won't hold my breath.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Toss in an AR that's not $200-$400 over priced, and you're good to go.;)

9. god, would i line up for a python. But I would bet my ass that it even IF they revive it. It will not be near the gun the old one was.

It has been said many times, the old python was fit and finished by hand to a huge degree. That was the reason for its great action, great reliability, and beautiful finishes. Those things will not happen today at a reasonable price.

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Not necessarily if your primary customer is the United States government.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

11. Not so sure, modern day machines can pass by hand fitting. Since computer machining is now how most things are built, the cost should not be that hard, for a Python.

Dan Wesson built a gun that was every bit as good as a Python for competitive prices. But now that same gun brought back to life is now a $1500 gun. The price is brought about by more than quality, it is how much the gun is desired.

Honestly with a tune up, and a polish job functionally the GP100 is every bit of gun the Python was. At an affordable price, if Pythons were the same price as my blue GP100 I would not see the need to switch. But as a limited edition the Python would be an investment.

That is why Ruger has not filed chapter 11, they supply good guns at an affordable price for everybody. I could always buy a stainless GP send it off to be mirror polished and it would be just as good. I have shot Pythons, and they are not any better than my GP. In fact Colts are known to stack, some people like that, and others don't.

If a person throws three grand on a Python expecting the gun that functions like God built it, will be disappointed.

12. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

If I could Get a tactical style 357 or 38 specialThat held six rounds and had a Vented 4 inch barrel, black finish, and a black rubber squared off grip that sold for less than $500 for the 357 and less then $400 for a .38spc +p I would go and buy one now. A modern service pistol in a way

I know the machining on a wheel gun is tough, but there hasn't been many modern designed wheel guns outside of ruger

A service grade revolver for the same price as an american service grade semi auto would sell imho

13. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I agree with your sentiment, but I think you are being over optimistic at that price. Or maybe I don't know what service grade means. Revolvers are a lot more difficult to make with a lot more machining steps. What kind of quality are you talking about?

14. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

Function over form. Very near 100 % operation, but the finish can be a little rough. It doesn't need to feel like something a deity pased along as it uttered its final breath, minor slop as long as it doesn't much intrude in operation or longevity

Something you would have handed barney fife... with a little style

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So...you don't really think the Python is better, and if it only cost $600 you wouldn't even buy one...but it DOES demand more, because others want one, so you want one?:confused:

If you bought it, you wouldn't DARE shoot it, would you. Might lose some value.

To me...that's a very sad thing. I put FAR more value into things that have been used, than things that have sat on a shelf. That's why I'm not a real collector.

16. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Great to see America's 2nd Oldest mfg still kicking!

17. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I love that last line! I'm with you. I would love a slick smooth DA/SA revolver I can feed a steady diet of hunting loads, and have it still eating them 10 thousand shots later. Something Blackhawk tough at a Taurus price. That sounds like a dream though. Lol

18. There are people who pay double for a rusted original SAA than a Python. I am happy with my GP, more than happy, outright ecstatic. So no if the Python is no longer of collector value I would not get one. If it retains collector value it would be an investment.

My problem is I don't get guns for collector value, or to say I have one. I get guns that I will shoot, or carry. That is why my safe is smaller than most gun fans.

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So, you aren't a real collector either.:p

Good for you!;)

20. Fracman

Fracman Member

Have you seen this? Looks like Kimber just got into revolvers.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016