Combat Revolver manual

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Jan 10, 2018.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Those of you who know me on Facebork may have seen this timeline post just go up.

I am nearing the completion of republishing the rare WWI combat revolver manual "The Service Revolver and How to Use It" by Captain Charles D. Tracy.

I'm scanning through it now looking for the inevitable transcription errors that slip in. I've already found one. There will doubtless be more and some that slip past me even then.

Tracy explodes some myths about skills and knowledge that we now have concerning early combat handgunning. His text includes instruction on aimed fire, "snap shooting," shooting in the dark, dry fire practice, active drills, reactive targets, safety, cover vs. concealment, semi-auto vs. revolver, eye dominance and two-eye shooting, and even the classic "caliber wars!"

Every time I see these sort of things, I think, "dude was way ahead of this time," but the truth may be more accurately that our forebearers were not even "cutting edge" for the time, we just forgot how much they knew and busy ourselves by congratulating our own awesomeness.

The PDF will, of course, be available for free from my Lulu site. I will make a print edition available as well and will try to get a ePub version ready for those of you who prefer eReaders.

Special thanks to Lawrence Skuse for making the text available to me for this project.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

moona11 likes this.
  3. rmuniz9336

rmuniz9336 Member

Thanks so much for the post. I remember when I went through the academy we were mostly revolver at the time. A quick scan of the book shows some of the stuff we learned.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I can't decide on what my favorite part is. I'm vastly amused that The Great Caliber Wars were raging even back then. But there's lots of other great stuff in there like his cow-boy holster, his two or three instructions on fighting with the empty/unloaded pistol, or even the hearing protection & speed loaders. He even has an exercise routine!

Feel encouraged to share the links with others. I also have a bunch of other antique repubs on my page as well as one original book. I have a WWII bayonet manual, a bunch of boxing & wrestling manuals, even a couple of military saber manual.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

eldarbeast and moona11 like this.
  5. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

Thank you very much for taking the trouble.
    Saved it ;)

lklawson likes this.
  6. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

During a political rising in South America, I was shot at close quarters, when mounted. My opponent was also mounted and we fired point blank. His bullet—a small copper one, .25 calibre, I think—passed right through my left lung and also passed through some of the fleshy part of my heart. I got my man in the chest and, as far as I know, killed him.

-excerpt

That sort of writing is priceless.

cldarnell, SDProf, eldarbeast and 3 others like this.
  7. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Thanks, Kirk!

lklawson likes this.
  8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

Not sure he's as good at anatomy as he is at guns....:confused:

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

That wasn't the author, that was a 3rd party that the author was quoting.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I have a favor to ask.

If you downloaded this book and like it, I'd sure appreciate a 5 star review. This helps others interested in the topic to find, and decide to download, this book. If you bought the tree-ware, I'd ask the same. Please give it a review. For that matter, if you downloaded any other of the free content from my Lulu site, please give it a 5-Star review. I'd really appreciate it! :)

Here's the link to review The Service Revolver and How to Use It:
    http://www.lulu.com/shop/charles-d-...it/ebook/product-23483904.html#customerReview

Thanks!

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

moona11 likes this.
  11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Thanks for the review. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. eldarbeast

eldarbeast Supporting Member

What... But, what if it's only worth a four star rating...?

eldar

lklawson likes this.
  13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Just be honest. :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

moona11 likes this.
  14. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

ND
    So lie. Gotcha

lklawson likes this.