Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Recently got a bunch of Tactical tailor woodland MOLLE pouches and decided to do a survival/combat vest on the USGI MOLLE Combat Medic Vest System platform which is basically a MOLLE version of the old LBV.
2 Large Utility Pouches-very useful; can hold poncho, stakes, medic kit , extra socks, long johns, extra shirt or hammock gear. Can also be used as dump pouch for Redball 20rd mags

2 Universal Magazine Pouches (holds 3 AR or 2 AK mags)

2 USGI MOLLE II Pistol Pockets

2 Grenade/small Utility Pouches-great for paracord and warm gloves

1 Spec Ops HUMP hydration pocket- stuff an army woobie or down quilt instead of hydration bladder. Can lash pad to it vertically

1 USGI LC2 2QT canteen cover with canteen

1 USGI LC2 SAW pouch-also quite useful
1 Bianchi M12 holster for 9mm handgun

Depending on how much crap I wanna carry;
Add 1 USGI 3 day training pack( aka butt pack)-clothes and poncho liner and pad

The heaviest set up puts a hammock and bug net in the large utility pockets while the lightest setup removes hammock system and buttpack system.

6x 30rd AR mags, 2x 15rd p85 mags

Idea is somewhat based on SADF All Arms Vest/M83 combat jacket/ Arktis Viper vest

Attachments

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts
Looks good, this for bug in or out? I like the layout though.

I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to gear, I do plan to bug-in though so its a completely different setup.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good, this for bug in or out? I like the layout though.

I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to gear, I do plan to bug-in though so its a completely different setup.
More for like patrols that may result in overnighting. Main is bug in. Could also be get home/fight your way home setup.

·
Banned
3,792 Posts
Are you going to make any of these set ups for sale? If so, I may be interested in one!

·
Banned
3,792 Posts
Okay thanks! I may give a try at making a similar set up my like that my self. Any idea of what you have invested in it?

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts
More for like patrols that may result in overnighting. Main is bug in. Could also be get home/fight your way home setup.
That should serve you pretty well then.

The fight your way home part may be part of the patrol that result in an overnight stay!! :D

Cool setup though, thank you for sharing.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay thanks! I may give a try at making a similar set up my like that my self. Any idea of what you have invested in it?
I know I paid 20 for the CMVS platform itself.... gun show find. 15 for a 4 pack of the pistol pouches... for the TT pouches... 60 plus shipping. That averaged out to 10 per pouch of 6 pouches or 5 ea for grenades and 15 ea for large utility plus 10 ea for triples. And this is with all the MALICE clips included. Gun shows and surplus shops are great places for the stuff. Not sure if you would be able to find the TT large utility pouches cheaper tho. Theyre available in coyote, green, multicam, black and the ACU is on clearance if theres any left

·
Banned
3,792 Posts
I know I paid 20 for the CMVS platform itself.... gun show find. 15 for a 4 pack of the pistol pouches... for the TT pouches... 60 plus shipping. That averaged out to 10 per pouch of 6 pouches or 5 ea for grenades and 15 ea for large utility plus 10 ea for triples. And this is with all the MALICE clips included. Gun shows and surplus shops are great places for the stuff. Not sure if you would be able to find the TT large utility pouches cheaper tho. Theyre available in coyote, green, multicam, black and the ACU is on clearance if theres any left
Okay, thanks! That is a nice setup!

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Thank goodness I'm bugging in. Carrying my grand kids on my back for more than a few minutes and I really notice the weight. I'd have to get in seriously better shape to haul a useful amount of gear.

Pack your gear out on a few practice "laps", even if it's in your own back yard. That will help refine how you distribute loads and maybe add a pad to a strap here and there. Keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
I have one of the ELBV units, like this, but mine is in woodland camo.

I have a 1980's GI pistol belt, holster, canteen, Etool, and more ammo pouches as well, and a hydration bladder attached..

Reactions: shubbell

·
Registered
999 Posts
Those are some really nice rigs. All i have is a simple back pack. I need something a good bit better than what i have. We would likely bug in here but we are in the sticks already anyway. I mostly just want a way to get my nessesary surval things to a hideing place real fast if i needed to. My house is surrounded by very thick woods, so thick you can hardly walk through them in many places. We do keep trails cleared out that go a long ways into the woods. We do this in a way that unless you know where to look you would never know there was trails. They are not in straight lines and we only keep them trimmed back enough to get through without getting tangled up. If i lived around normal civilization i think i would want a way of carrying what i needed without looking like i was a militant though. I would do everything i could to look like just a normal person. Really hard to know how to prepare for something without knowing exactly what to prepare for though. But if you have to carry very much, then it almost requires military type gear. My main plan right now is to just have the things i would likely need in places i can go to quick and i dont have to look for it and likely forget many important things in the rush.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have one of the ELBV units, like this, but mine is in woodland camo.

I have a 1980's GI pistol belt, holster, canteen, Etool, and more ammo pouches as well, and a hydration bladder attached..
Well I used to have several of these.... now I have just one and its on a display, and it is a little different, being one of the early 80s vests made by either LOWE Alpine (LCS 84 System ) or the mid 80s NATICK Contract vests; it has LC style strap buckle attachments for the Lowe Alpine patrol pack or the Field Pack Large Internal Frame 's parasite pack which is almost the same just doesnt have a lower waist strap.
The MOLLE platform that I use however is a 2000s contracted vest thats meant for combat medics... usually comes with 4 square zippered pockets plus two triple M4 pockets. It has more useable MOLLE real estate. The pic shows the original cross strap that I removed on my particular example

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
The MOLLE platform that I use however is a 2000s contracted vest thats meant for combat medics... usually comes with 4 square zippered pockets plus two triple M4 pockets. It has more useable MOLLE real estate. The pic shows the original cross strap that I removed on my particular example
Very nice, WAY more modular to let you make it fit the mission.:)

·
Premium Member
9,288 Posts
Well I used to have several of these.... now I have just one and its on a display, and it is a little different, being one of the early 80s vests made by either LOWE Alpine (LCS 84 System ) or the mid 80s NATICK Contract vests; it has LC style strap buckle attachments for the Lowe Alpine patrol pack or the Field Pack Large Internal Frame 's parasite pack which is almost the same just doesnt have a lower waist strap.
I actually prefer molle vests to the old LBE. The modularity is far superior, and the nice thing is that you can adapt about any system to it.

I'm with Kituwa on not wanting to look like a militant during a forced bugout, but during a protracted period of crisis a la' TEOTWAWKI, some means of carrying some essentials--such as magazines, water, a first-aid pouch and a small multi-purpose pouch--for patrolling could very likely be necessary.

Outside of that situation, I have a black bugout bag that doesn't stand out too much, and that would be my preferred package.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Sorry for the thread necro, but I've been out of the game for awhile.

This is a really cool setup. You talked about different setups with different weights. What equipment do you carry in it, and for what purposes? I'm looking at putting a basic survival vest type thing together, and I know I have a tendency to weigh myself down with gadgets and crap.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

This is a really cool setup. You talked about different setups with different weights. What equipment do you carry in it, and for what purposes? I'm looking at putting a basic survival vest type thing together, and I know I have a tendency to weigh myself down with gadgets and crap.
It varies. Right now though the vest is basically stripped down to bare bones 4x double AR mags, 2x p85 mags, pistol, 2qt canteen and an empty saw 200rd pouch.... the large utility pouches have been moved to the Gregory UM21 patrol pack with gear and the lower profile MOLLE Waist Pack holding the shelter system.
I decided that havin a separate pack would help a lot with load distribution and allows me to have either a vest or chest rig or plain H harness belt kit on my person as opposed to a seriously heavy lbv with all the crap on it. At the heaviest I got it to... it had 12 loaded ar mags, 2 pistol mags plus 1 in handgun, filled 2qt canteen, poncho liner, poncho, cordage, simple first aid kit, some food, canteen cup and esbit stove.... ended up being more similar in total weight to one of my loaded rucksacks so I decided to strip the vest down and redistributed items to one of my rucksacks.

·
Premium Member
9,288 Posts

If you ever came down to needing a tactical vest, you would want to make sure that it facilitated access to your most critical items: ammo, water and first-aid items. Those are your priority items if you have to drop your ruck and maneuver.

Think of the vest as being there specifically to carry what you would need in a brief and intense encounter with Negan's thugs. If you put it into that context, you will be less likely to weigh it down with too much crap.

The only thing I ever had on mine for patrols were ammo pouches for M4 and M9 basic loads, an IFAK, a CamelBac, a SERPA holster for my M9 and a tactical radio, although I did have a Personal Locator Beacon issued during one rotation.

Anything more can go into a patrol pack. Again, the vest isn't there to sustain you for an extended period of time. It is there to facilitate your most critical activities during enemy contact.

·
Just a Man
14,185 Posts
If you ever came down to needing a tactical vest, you would want to make sure that it facilitated access to your most critical items: ammo, water and first-aid items. Those are your priority items if you have to drop your ruck and maneuver.

Think of the vest as being there specifically to carry what you would need in a brief and intense encounter with Negan's thugs. If you put it into that context, you will be less likely to weigh it down with too much crap.

The only thing I ever had on mine for patrols were ammo pouches for M4 and M9 basic loads, an IFAK, a CamelBac, a SERPA holster for my M9 and a tactical radio, although I did have a Personal Locator Beacon issued during one rotation.

Anything more can go into a patrol pack. Again, the vest isn't there to sustain you for an extended period of time. It is there to facilitate your most critical activities during enemy contact.
Not to mention it should be able to accommodate changes in owner's mid section girth.... summer size, and holiday size tend to run a bit different.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.