Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Molle medic vest current setup and a lighter Micro Rig MOLLE chest rig with minimal gear (6 AR mags, med kit and small items) with the Micro rig, I would be carrying water in the Spec Ops hydration pouch somewhere in my surplus gear pile lol

Attachments

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Do you really consider 6 mags minimal? I mean, we don't get fun switches like the military does, and their standard loadout is what, 7?

·
Premium Member
9,288 Posts
Do you really consider 6 mags minimal? I mean, we don't get fun switches like the military does, and their standard loadout is what, 7?
The six are in the pouches, and the seventh is already in the weapon...

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Consider this. Two ALICE pouches means 6 in your belt kit... pretty standard.... even usgi molle bandolier carries 6.. yes I personally consider 6 mags plus 1 in the AR to be my minimum number. Even my split chest rig has 6 at the ready plus up to 7 in a SAW pouch.
Edit. The militaty also has an extensive logistics setup where you could depend on resupply at operating bases... while the Marines and special guys tend to carry FAR-more stuff because resupply maybe takes longer... for me its more a bug in plan with possible patrols; though I am comfortable walking with 12-13 mags on my person plus a small pack, I feel a load of 7 is optimal for me personally, as long as I can get back to home or shelter.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Some nice kits there. Mine's not as nice but here it is.

It holds my pistol, a folding knife, multitool, flashlight, tool kit, cleaning kit, a pair of gloves, 2 spare pistol mags, 8 ar mags, first aid kit, water bladder, and a Bible. It's a part of my emergency/bug out kit along with my B.O.B. Not pictured is a belt with a survival knife and some spare ammo.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Consider this. Two ALICE pouches means 6 in your belt kit... pretty standard.... even usgi molle bandolier carries 6.. yes I personally consider 6 mags plus 1 in the AR to be my minimum number. Even my split chest rig has 6 at the ready plus up to 7 in a SAW pouch.
Edit. The militaty also has an extensive logistics setup where you could depend on resupply at operating bases... while the Marines and special guys tend to carry FAR-more stuff because resupply maybe takes longer... for me its more a bug in plan with possible patrols; though I am comfortable walking with 12-13 mags on my person plus a small pack, I feel a load of 7 is optimal for me personally, as long as I can get back to home or shelter.
I guess I was figuring if Plan A is to expend 200+ rounds of ammunition, I might be in trouble.

I suppose it's better to have more ammo than not need it, but I had always figured 3-4 mags to be perfectly fine. I've only got 3-4 days of food in my bag anyway, and there are precious few folks who can actually survive in the wild for extended periods of time.

If there's a reason to up my ammo count that I'm not seeing, please convince me. I'm just thinking that a full 30 round mag is a lot of shooting on semi-auto, probably a full gunfight's worth or more - Unlike the military guys, I'm not going to be seeking out engagements with multiple hostiles in running gunfights throughout the city, nor are there a lot of people who are going to want me dead on sight. Has there ever been a situation in which a civilian in a situation like Katrina had to expend more than 2 or 3 mags, tops?

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Helpful
Hello. Recently got a bunch of Tactical tailor woodland MOLLE pouches and decided to do a survival/combat vest on the USGI MOLLE Combat Medic Vest System platform which is basically a MOLLE version of the old LBV.
2 Large Utility Pouches-very useful; can hold poncho, stakes, medic kit , extra socks, long johns, extra shirt or hammock gear. Can also be used as dump pouch for Redball 20rd mags

2 Universal Magazine Pouches (holds 3 AR or 2 AK mags)

2 USGI MOLLE II Pistol Pockets

2 Grenade/small Utility Pouches-great for paracord and warm gloves

1 Spec Ops HUMP hydration pocket- stuff an army woobie or down quilt instead of hydration bladder. Can lash pad to it vertically

1 USGI LC2 2QT canteen cover with canteen

1 USGI LC2 SAW pouch-also quite useful
1 Bianchi M12 holster for 9mm handgun

Depending on how much crap I wanna carry;
Add 1 USGI 3 day training pack( aka butt pack)-clothes and poncho liner and pad

The heaviest set up puts a hammock and bug net in the large utility pockets while the lightest setup removes hammock system and buttpack system.

6x 30rd AR mags, 2x 15rd p85 mags

Idea is somewhat based on SADF All Arms Vest/M83 combat jacket/ Arktis Viper vest
It's all well and good for you younger folk to run around the woods decked out in military webbing and multiple pouches but, for us more mature folk (read old), an actual vest makes much more sense.

In Backwoods home magazine, issue 144, a fellow described just such a vest in exacting detail.

For instance, the vest is made by Moose Creek, retailed for about $50.00, came in different colours including camo, had 9 outside pockets, 4 inside pockets, and one large pouch in back.

He'd bought the vest from "Cheaper then Dirt" (Booooo, hiissss, finks!) but, I am sure they can be purchased elsewhere. It was 35% cotton and 65% polyester.

Some of the contents included two handguns, ammo for both, tarp, fak, survival manual, compass, fire starters, and other things to round out the kit.

The advantage to having a vest is that one can blend in better with others, your hands are free to do other things with, and you can wear other garments over the vest.

Helpful eldar

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You're referring to this kind of vest right?

EDIT: I had one from Fox Outdoors and tested it on a hike with just hiking gear and camp gear..
Problem with these... theyre not exactly comfortable with a relatively heavy load; and nowadays theyre seen as military because of the PMCs and Special Forces protecting VIPs over in the sandboxes... for the duties needed, a simple belt kit in not camo often works best. In fact, I have such a set up currently setup for fishing... a coyote brown MOLLE belt pad, 3 Coyote brown USMC FAK pouches, 2 coyote brown canteen covers and a medium coyote brown utility pouch, with suspenders; its never been asked if its military because of how it looks.. no AR mag pockets, simple boxy pouches for small tupperware bins holding fishing tackle. If I acquire triple AR shingles then they can be between belt pad and IFAK pouches and be somewhat covert. Its essentiallyna large fanny pack/belt.

·
Premium Member
9,288 Posts
I held off on buying anything like this because I've been issued the stuff for so many years, but I finally decided to buy my own. I went with a Grade I MOLLE vest from Midway for only $25. It looked like something from CIF in its original packaging. I chose coyote tan because camo patterns just send the wrong message.

I would like to attend a Valor Ridge course in the future, and this setup should do the trick. I may have to shuck the pistol holster at that point, but in the interim, I have a setup ready for ZOMPOC.

As you'll notice, there are pouches for 4 AR magazines, 3 G21 magazines and a first-aid kit. I'll probably get a smaller first-aid pouch at some point. This one is bigger than necessary for the complement of bandages, gauze, tape, CAT tourniquate, Quick-Clot and other minor items that I assembled for it.

Water will be in a Camel Back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Slight warning; that mesh backed upper vest panel is NOT rated for the weight of a handgun. There's no reinforcing webbing going vertically like on the LBV and Medic MOLLE vests and SPEAR ELCS vests. Also unlike the NcStar/similar tactical vests theres just not that much layering on the mesh paneling.
That is why you rarely see actual Marines or soldiers mount their holsters on the upper parts of these vests. The reinforced bottom half is where the heavy weight is supposed to go. You may be able to score a coyote or dcu Leg Extender that interfaces onto that vest... or you could use another double m4 mag pouch for holster duty; might need cut some kydex and glue foam to kydex exterior so as to keep pistol secure in the pouch.
Its also why you dont see them put AR mags and the like on the top. Pistol mags or smoke grenades or 40mm grenades, sure.
Basically
Lightweight stuff upper. Compact first aid kit and tourniquet and shears and the like, OK
Heavy weight lower. Canteens, heavy trauma items, magazines and handgun.
You'll want to see if you can move holster and have it mounted strong side and with "FBI Cant" where the gun is pointed down and rearwards for quick draw... maybe between your 3 and 4 position.

Edit.
Could be as simple as switch locations where triple pistol mag pouch and holster is.

·
Premium Member
9,288 Posts
Slight warning; that mesh backed upper vest panel is NOT rated for the weight of a handgun. There's no reinforcing webbing going vertically like on the LBV and Medic MOLLE vests and SPEAR ELCS vests. Also unlike the NcStar/similar tactical vests theres just not that much layering on the mesh paneling.
That is why you rarely see actual Marines or soldiers mount their holsters on the upper parts of these vests. The reinforced bottom half is where the heavy weight is supposed to go. You may be able to score a coyote or dcu Leg Extender that interfaces onto that vest... or you could use another double m4 mag pouch for holster duty; might need cut some kydex and glue foam to kydex exterior so as to keep pistol secure in the pouch.
Its also why you dont see them put AR mags and the like on the top. Pistol mags or smoke grenades or 40mm grenades, sure.
Basically
Lightweight stuff upper. Compact first aid kit and tourniquet and shears and the like, OK
Heavy weight lower. Canteens, heavy trauma items, magazines and handgun.
You'll want to see if you can move holster and have it mounted strong side and with "FBI Cant" where the gun is pointed down and rearwards for quick draw... maybe between your 3 and 4 position.
I never used to use that vest, in actuality. I preferred to mount everything straight to the MOLLE loops on the body armor, and that was how I used to mount the M9 holster--chest-high. I put that holster in a lot of different places when doing the setup, and the strong side was an idea that I had actually considered. I put in an order for a 6"x6" pouch to replace the current one, and maybe with the increased real estate, it might work that way.

I'll never go with a drop-leg rig, again, though. I pissed away about $100 on a Safari Land rig for my M9, and I hated it. When running, the damn thing would rotate around to the front, and it also covered up my cargo pocket. I'll mount a holster only to my belt or my vest.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Think, can you post a link for that, I can't seem to find that particular one on Midway.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I don't use drop legs myself. Just belt for 99.9% of my carry..... I could mount to chest horiztonally on one of my chest rigs, but I've never found a need for it to be on the same rig with the rest of my rifle ammo....separate, yes, because sometimes I only need the handgun and its ammo, and not the rifle and its ammo all the time.... though they're always nearby, if not at work.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
21 - 40 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.