Come and take it

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by adam01364, May 16, 2018.

1. adam01364

adam01364 Lifetime Supporter

come and take it.jpg

A conservative woman who recently graduated from Kent State University has received threats after she took aim at her school’s anti-gun policies in a photo shoot where she carried an AR-10 and wore a cap that said, “Come and take it.”

Kaitlin Bennett, a 22-year-old Second Amendment supporter from Zanesville, Ohio and founder of Liberty Hangout at Kent State, a student media outlet that promotes libertarian values, posed in front of the Kent Student Center for the tweet that has gone viral.

“Now that I graduated from @KentState, I can finally arm myself on campus. I should have been able to do so as a student – especially since 4 unarmed students were shot and killed by the government on this campus. #CampusCarryNow,” she posted on Twitter Sunday.

Bennett told Fox News she wanted to condemn the school’s “insulting” policies.

“I wanted to draw attention to the gun policies on campus that allow guests to open carry, but not students,” she said. “I find it insulting that the school values the lives of their guests more than those attending the university for four years.”

The university has a rule against students, faculty, and staff carrying “deadly weapons.” But Kent State University spokesman Eric Mansfield told Fox News that because Bennett is no longer a student, she violated no policies.

“After graduation, she joined the ranks of our proud graduates,” Mansfield said. “So at the time of this photo, she and other graduates would be permitted to open carry on our campus.”

Read more here: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/1...gun-policies-goes-viral-come-and-take-it.html

2. adam01364

So, lemme get this straight.
    The university has a rule against students, faculty, and staff carrying “deadly weapons.”
    But after graduation she and other graduates are permitted to open carry on campus.

I just gotta say that University administration is chuck full of educated idiots.

3. eldarbeast

eldarbeast Supporting Member

Like many if not most institutes of higher learning.

eldar

4. SDProf

SDProf Supporting Member

Pretty much the same in my state. No law against campus carry, just Board of Regents policy - which only affects students, faculty and staff. John Q Public, no restriction.

mn_doggie and eldarbeast like this.
  5. 1024Megabytes

1024Megabytes Member

She picked an Armalite 10 rifle. Sweet! This woman has more guts than me.

yworrydog likes this.
  6. adam01364

And she's a dang sight prettier too.

moona11, lklawson and wrench459 like this.
  7. wrench459

wrench459 Member

It took me more than ten minutes of staring @ the picture before I saw the AR.:clown:

yworrydog, Dave4903, lklawson and 2 others like this.
  8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    How can you miss it? It's totally blocking the view.

lklawson, SWAGA and eldarbeast like this.
  9. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

That shooting happened 5 blocks from my old house.

10. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

How does May 4th 1970 equate to gun violence/gun control? I was in the 7th grade when this happened. I was in science class across the river from downtown. I never got home that night from school. We had a town of 13,000 people and a campus with 17,000 students. Things were really whacko for a week. We need to find a concentration of the ant-E-Farts and punch some holes in their little skinny asses and there would be a lot less willing to join the "resistance." IIRC the following year they shot a bunch with rubber bullets. That was the last of that.

I am sure a bunch of our members here are too young to know who was stirring up the shit in Kent. It was the students communist party. The SDS. Outside organizers that escaped arrest and prosecution.

eldarbeast likes this.
  11. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

You had the National Guard occupy the grounds of a University.
    Not trained in crowd control, riot control or god forbid deescalation tactics.
    Eventually shot and killed 4 protesters.
    If that isn’t your feared Gubberment Tyranny I don’t know what is.

12. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Technically good marksmanship is a form of crowd and riot control. Probably not as judicious of a choice as some would have liked, but it was effective.

FlashBang, OldOutlaw, RandyB and 3 others like this.
  13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Almost, but not quite. This was in a city that had had riots for 2-3 days, including arson and vandalism/destruction of property, and then, the campus "protestors" (who significantly outnumbered the Guardsmen), when legally ordered to disperse, threw large rocks at the Guardsmen (arguably a deadly threat), retreated, returned, threw more rocks, and then began deliberately advancing on the Guardsmen. There is even more-or-less credible claims that a "sniper" fired on the Guardsmen first.

While there have been very clear instances of over-reach and abuse under color of authority, this isn't one of them.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Points for humor. :) However, this wasn't a good marksmanship type event. It was a case where an outnumbered (but better armed) group of Guardsmen experienced an event which they were untrained for and then panicked.

They were clearly being threatened, had already had deadly force used against them (thrown rocks), and may have been shot at. However, their response was random and uncoordinated; that of a wounded animal lashing out at whatever is close instead of identifying a specific threat and the "best" method for dealing with it.

I don't really blame the Guardsmen. They were not properly prepared for what they were asked to do. I know it sounds awful, but the "victims" were as much victims of their own poor decisions as they were of any bullets, maybe more. They were voluntarily there in a group of "protestors" which were engaging in violence. Frankly they're lucky that more weren't shot and they should thank God for the institutional restraint from the Government via policies, even in this event. When Napoleon was called to put down a riot, he peppered them with a cannonade of grapeshot and was commended and got a big promotion for his action.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

eldarbeast, RandyB and moona11 like this.
  15. Rachgier

Negative points for being your typical self.

I'm not stupid, I learned about Kent State when I was in school and did my own research on the topic for a report I did in my "War in 20th Century America" class. I don't need the history lesson or a lesson in crowd control tactics and training. Pretty sure I've got you beat on real world experience there.

You took a joke, that as just a joke, and went full retard on it. Good job Kirk, business as usual for you.

16. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Sucks. Don't it?

fatal-bert33 likes this.
  17. Rachgier

Used to it. But I'm on day 4 of operation cold turkey and really want a cigarette so it felt good to kick the nerd.

Dad_Roman, lklawson and SWAGA like this.
  18. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

Trust me, it will last a year.
    Been there done that.
    Watch for the road rage.

histed and lklawson like this.
  19. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

Manipulating the situation by putting an untrained entity in a volatile environment.
    No different from self defense in concealed carry.
    Keep escalating the situation till you’re forced to shoot.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 8:50 PM