Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's pretty expensive, and the lower doesn't have much affect on accuracy in the Stoner designs. But, considering the material, it's gotta be the best, right? Now, I know Primal is the authority who will provide the definitive opinion, but tell me what you think:

https://www.vbd.com/noc/shop/products_detail.asp?CategoryID=29&ProductID=286

There's even a history lesson on the page.

:think:

--I think it's certainly stronger than aluminum for little if any more weight, depending on alloy. But, I don't think the strength is necessary and I sure think the cost is too high. If you think the cost is justified, please explain.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
NDS, next time I see you, I am going to hurt you.

:roll: :evil:

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
--I think it's certainly stronger than aluminum for little if any more weight, depending on alloy. But, I don't think the strength is necessary and I sure think the cost is too high. If you think the cost is justified, please explain.
to be honest, the lower is the least important part of an ar15. all it really does it house the trigger group, hold the magazine and provide a point for the stock to screw into. the typical a2 lowers as long as they are milspec has have several improvements over the original a1 or slabside lowers. they reinforced the front lugs and the rear area near the buffer tube threads. they also added a fence around the mag release to prevent accidental mag releases.

there are only a few large companies that manufacture ar15 lowers, and the only reason to pay more for different materials or billet lowers are for looks. you rarely hear of any ar15 lowers being damaged.

here's a list of who makes what, it's a little old but should give you an idea of whether or not it's worth paying more for a big name. granted some companies clean up the forgings a little more than others.

LMT = LMT, Lauer, DS Arms, PWA, Eagle, Knights Armament, Barrett
CMT = Stag, RRA, High Standard, Noveske, (new) Century, Global Tactical, CLE, S&W, MGI, Wilson Tactical, Grenadier Precision, Colt
LAR = LAR, Bushmaster, Ameetech, DPMS, CMMG, Double Star, Fulton, Spike's Tactical
JVP = Double Star, LRB
MMS = Mega, GSE, Dalphon, POF, Alexander Arms,
Olympic = Olympic, SGW, Tromix, Palmetto, Dalphon, Frankford, (old) Century
Sun Devil = Sun Devil forged billet receivers
Superior = Superior Arms

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
No, I just think NDS likes pushing buttons. Right buddy? :roll:

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
If that bunny had a pancake on it's head, it'd been better. However, I am not distracted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.