Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be updating the platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?

I bet you’re thinking, “What does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- The Management

·
Premium Member
35,847 Posts
Don’t you love when, as a user, they tell you what you want?
How do they know? They ever ask anyone?

Let me guess. It’s gonna be more phone friendly, but less computer/tablet friendly. More room for ads, less room for content. More clicking to get anywhere.

Can’t wait to see how close I am.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
Are we going to loss our statistics again?
Foolish mortal. Of course they shall be obliterated, blasted into the ether, never to be seen again!
upload_2021-2-26_21-54-32.jpeg

Reactions: Rabidwookie

·
Premium Member
6,859 Posts
Are we going to loss our statistics again?
On the other forums we did not lose any. Most recently on Firearms Talk Forum we really had no serious problems. The owners of all these many forums is doing this on all of them. No real biggies to worry about.

·
Premium Member
6,859 Posts
The one thing they will tell us here to do is check our sign in info. To write it down.
If we don't remember that, well, you won't be able to get back on.
This is a different software package than used to here. I don't mind their new software at all.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Go look at the Walther and Ruger fora. It'll probably look like those. There'll still be plenty of room for content.

·
Administrator
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The one thing they will tell us here to do is check our sign in info. To write it down.
If we don't remember that, well, you won't be able to get back on.
This is a different software package than used to here. I don't mind their new software at all.
If anyone has trouble with logging in after the site is updated you just need to hit the contact us link at the bottom of the page. We usually will be able to get folks sorted the same day.
-Philip

·
Administrator
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't you love when, as a user, they tell you what you want?
How do they know? They ever ask anyone?
Let me guess. It's gonna be more phone friendly, but less computer/tablet friendly. More room for ads, less room for content. More clicking to get anywhere.
Can't wait to see how close I am.
Your account is in supporter/premium status so when it moves over you should see no ads and will have lots of room for content. If you move from desktop to tablet or to your phone it will look the same, it will just scale to fit the screen size. No need to pinch and stretch if you use the site on your phone. Photo uploading will be much easier too especially if you use your phone as your primary photo taking device.
-Philip

·
Premium Member
35,847 Posts
Your account is in supporter/premium status so when it moves over you should see no ads and will have lots of room for content. If you move from desktop to tablet or to your phone it will look the same, it will just scale to fit the screen size. No need to pinch and stretch if you use the site on your phone. Photo uploading will be much easier too especially if you use your phone as your primary photo taking device.
-Philip
Thanks for the response!

·
Premium Member
6,859 Posts
The folks who will be here to help with the update are top shelf. You will be in good hands. :)
-Philip
I hope CricketW is sent here for it. That Lady did really well answering questions and she made it a smooth transition.

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
It's going to look like TheKTOG.org Go take a look.

The biggest problem with it i show it screws up the Alerts. It makes it Alerts LESS USABLE.

Please fix this before you install XF.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
6,859 Posts
It's going to look like TheKTOG.org Go take a look.

The biggest problem with it i show it screws up the Alerts. It makes it Alerts LESS USABLE.

Please fix this before you install XF.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
How is it less usable? I like the Alert method on the new program.

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn't seem correct once the site goes live, don't panic! We'll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.
[...]
We appreciate each member's contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- The Management
The Alerts selection in the XF is NOT quicker or easier. Before, I'd just hover over the Alerts. Now on TheKTOG I have to click, pull down, then go to a list. It is 3 times more inefficient than what we are currently using. Please make the Alerts pop up just by hovering over it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
How is it less usable?
Currently, I just hover over the Alerts. Under the new software on TheKTOG, I have to click, pull down, then go to a list. It takes 3 times as many steps than what we are currently using.

I don't hate most of the new XF software, but i genuinely hate that.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
6,859 Posts
On FirearmsTalk, I just click the Account button and a drop down comes up. Click Alerts and there they are. I don't mind just 2 clicks at all. As fast or faster than here IMO.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.