Compensator/flash suppressors

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by drscot, Feb 11, 2015.

1. drscot

drscot Member

I am having difficulty finding a good flash suppressor for my 4095TS. A compensator really isn't necessary given the minimal recoil. I was told once that the compensator sold on the HP site also works well as a flash suppressor, but I'm not so sure about that. Does anyone have any experience with it or know of a dedicated flash suppressor that is available elsewhere?

Thanks guys!

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I've got the comp from the HP website on my 4095. Its purely for looks. Honestly, you really don't need it for either reason. Not sure what you would consider a "good" flash suppressor either. It's not like you're throwing 3ft flames out of the barrel. What exactly are you trying to accomplish or worried about to think you need a flash suppressor?

3. drscot

drscot Member

Reasons for flash suppressor

I'm not interested in "looks" like the one you have. Mine is a "trunk gun" and if I should ever need it at night for defense purposes I want the "foot print" minimized and the least harm to my night vision as possible. I'm not in the least bit concerned with looking "cool" with a "looks only" compensator. I want a flash reducer for all the legitimate reasons they exist.

4. Rachgier

When I originally bought mine, it was for all those reasons. It just turned out to be useless for either. There was no noticeable difference with the muzzle flash with or without it, but there isn't a whole hell of a lot to mitigate in the first place. If I can drag my butt off the couch later I'll measure the OD of my barrel if you don't have a measurement off yours. I'm still suffering with the plague thanks to my kids. I swear they bring it home one at a time and I end up sick 6 different times. Be aware, you may get some advice for some seriously expensive options for your "truck gun."

5. panoz77

panoz77 Member

The only flash suppressor that I have seen that truly makes muzzle flash virtually disappear is a 4 piece flash suppressor like the one I bought from CNC Warrior for my Yugo PAP92.

He tries with no brake first, then the regular old style krink, then the 4 piece from CNC (2:47 mark)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfIfR3R6F_I[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Evztbs2AE[/ame]

They don't make one for 9mm that I am aware of. I have never seen any other device kill muzzle flash as good as this 4 piece brake.

This is mine.
    [​IMG]

6. norham

norham Member

It's only a muzzle protector/ gravel strainer. It keeps big rocks from lodging in the muzzle while allowing gas relief ports to lessen barrel damage if fired. One never knows if the gun may be used as a crutch....

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I have fired at dusk. Don't remember a lot of flash. I was firing 3 different PCC's. 2 9's, and my 40. The rounds maybe loaded with faster burning pistol powder. So in a 16" barrel not a big deal? I saw a few sparks, no flash.

Get a 2000 lumin light!

The factory suppressors make it look scarier! I love the looks of the Brass Stacker. Everything but the price!

8. drscot

drscot Member

Bob, your results are exactly why I started this thread. Compensators are not flash suppressors and not all flash suppressors are created equal. Looks like you found that out the hard way. At least I know the claim that the HP compensator is a good flash suppressor is not an accurate statement thanks to your input. I never assume I am correct but that information given to me upon inquiry before purchase was highly suspect. I'll check with CNC Warrior. That's impressive and just what I am looking for.

9. Rachgier

Well to be honest, I had a "mall ninja" moment when I first got my carbine. I had that thing stacked and packed with all sorts of cool gadgets. I've backed it back down to a FG for the old lady, iron sights, and the dual mag holder from Mom. I kept the comp on it because the barrel just looked so......naked and pitiful.

10. drscot

drscot Member

Know the feelin'

I know the feeling, Bob. I have a safe full of long guns and hand guns I rarely or even never use. Heck, last time I tried to rearrange the contents I found long guns I didn't even remember having! For my 4095 TS, I do have the double magazine snap-on holder for the stock. I also added a Lucid HD7 and an aluminum Picatinny toprail. A functioning flash suppressor will be the end of it. A high lumen light would be nice but then there would be no need for a flash suppressor, would there! Decisions Decisions.
    P.S. The guys at CNC Warrior have ben great with forthcoming information. Looks like I will probably have to have my barrel threaded. I have no idea what the O.D. is though and if it can be safely done on the 4095.

11. Rachgier

Because I already said I would do it, I'll go to the garage and grab my calipers so I can get you an OD.

Turns out the plague the kids gave me turned in to a double ear infection, sinus infection, and strep throat. Apparently, all of the coughing caused an overpressure in my right ear and caused a small rupture along the scar on the ear drum where they replaced it.

EDIT: Okay so my 4095 barrel has an OD of 0.660 ... I had a single variation of 0.6595

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  12. drscot

drscot Member

Lucky!

Consider yourself fortunate! What if the infection was much lower and not something you caught from your kids! Thanks for the O.D. measurements though. I don't have a pair of calipers for that.

13. Rachgier

All 50 states, most of the US territories, dozens of countries, and 6 of 7 continents with the USMC. The only STD I ever brought home was two amazing twin boys. My policy prior to the one I'm with now was, "never bring home anything it takes medication or a restraining order to get rid of."

14. drscot

drscot Member

Joke.

It was a joke Bob, no response required. Thanks for the measurement.

15. Rachgier

So was my response. It took getting married to bring home something I couldn't get rid of without a restraining order. :D

16. drscot

drscot Member

Text

Text always has its limits, does it not? Say, I am assuming that .660 was centimeters?

Thanks.

17. Rachgier

Inches, this is 'Murica we don't use no stinkin' mealy meeters....lol

18. drscot

drscot Member

True

True, but metric is so much more precise it really is superior for some things. Kind of like the difference between measuring something in feet versus "a stone's throw". When I was in the 8th grade we were told we would be converting over to the metric system over a 10 year period. Well, I'm 63 now and it hasn't happened. Try having your pharmacist measure out your dosing in ounces rather than grams or milligrams and POOF!!! You would likely be dead or things would be falling off that I'm sure you would rather keep! But you are right, I find I have to use both systems. They both have their place. Oh, and if you are a reloader I'll bet you never weighed your bullets or powder in ounces. Kaboom if you did! :D

19. Rachgier

Actually, and correct me if I'm wrong, the "grain" measurement comes from the Avoirdupois system which is based on a pound consisting of 16 ounces or 7,000 grains. The unit was based on the weight of a single barley grain. I want to say somewhere around 1960 the international yard and pound agreement established that the grain/troy grain is precisely 64.798 milligrams? But both the British Imperial and US customary units still recognize the Avoirdupois pound as being precisely 7,000 grains.

Technically you buy your powder by the pound and dispense it by the grain. Not metric at all.

EDIT: Both systems have their flaws I just wish I could buy a vehicle that didn't have a mix of the two.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  20. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Then they wouldn't be able to sell you SAE and metric sets of tools. ;) Conspiracy for tonight.