Compensator ?s

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by tjulian, Jul 5, 2015.

1. tjulian

tjulian Member

I am wanting to buy a compensator for my 995ts. I am buying one for looks as I know on a 9 mm carbine its not really necessary. However on the Hi Point website there is no description of the compensator. Thus some questions.

Is the compensator made of steel or aluminum?
    What is the overall length?
    How much barrel length is needed to install the compensator?
    In some pictures I've seen it installed with the set screw up. Can it be installed down?
    If I want can I move it back till even with the barrel so it is more like a shroud?

As I said I am going for looks only. I am also looking to save as much money as possible so I am looking at the factory compensator now. Any help with the above questions or any suggestions are appreciated and thanks offered in advance.

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

1. Zamak as far as I can tell.
    2. Around 2.5" without breaking mine out to measure it.
    3. Approx. 1/2"
    4. Mine is installed screw down.
    5. Nope, it has a stop inside of it so it will only seat the approx. 1/2" required.

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

If you want looks, the HP factory compensator is probably the most butt ugly option on the market.

Id suggest holding off and saving a few extra bucks and actually buying one that looks good, if you want it purely for looks.

4. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

The only 995 model I had went bye-bye with a rifle I gave to my nephew. I had bought 2. It goes down 1/2" and sets flush with the front sight. I cracked one as I spread it slightly as I wrapped the barrel tip with teflon tape. It fell off when I was shooting it. I have always run the screw on the bottom of the barrel.

Not aluminum, and the colors vary. I just "painted" some with Motorkote and are letting them soak over night. 2 .45's, 2 .40's, and a .45 from Brassstacker. The Motorkote gave a nice luster to the Gen4 slide on my Glocks. They are known for easy scratching with their latest finish. So far so good. The other thing I tried was the 995 I gave away was sort of dull VS the other which is a medium gloss. I did soak that receiver shroud over night. Not much improvement. I guess car wax would have worked better.

Ma's are kind of crude and that is the charm of them. Kind of a used "distressed look" from the factory. IMO gives a comblock appearance to those folks at the range that have never seen a HP. The finish can be kind of crappy right of of the box if you're a nit picker.

Warning, they make it look scarey!

5. 0311

0311 Member

I like the SHROUD look myself. Here's one my son made for my 995 Monkey Gun

Attached Files:

6. TNTRAILERTRASH

One thing for sure they aren't magnetic. I think they are made out of cracgalak. :p I will buy some more in the 995 size. The BrassStacker for the .45 is much shorter than the factory model. It's shiny too.

You can always paint it with BBQ, or exhaust header paint.

7. talon

talon the banned wagon

Its not magnetic because its zamac. The same pot metal Hot Wheels are made from. There's no steel in it.

8. Earnshaw

Earnshaw Member

And the carbine's slide as well. There is a reason the bolts are often seen mounted up on the comps and this is to allow use of the rail feature . The " bottom" of the comp is grooved to accept a claw mount, even a 22 tip off scope mount can be used, for mounting a light or laser.
    If you don't need the groove facing down then you can certainly mount the comp bolt down.

9. TNTRAILERTRASH

Never noticed that before. Although I am not to keen on mounting a laser or light that close to the smokey end.

10. Earnshaw

Earnshaw Member

You have more and better options with the TS models and their rails but on the old style carbines the comp's mounting feature was a handy thing indeed.

11. Rachgier

Correct, the comps come with a dovetail mount on them. Mom said they used to sell a laser and mounting ring specifically for their comp with the original stocks but discontinued it shortly after the TS went in to production and they shifted to a different laser.

12. TNTRAILERTRASH

Gotcha! This ain't your first HP rodeo is it?

13. Rachgier

I've skinned a few cats.

14. TNTRAILERTRASH

I was talking to Earnshaw. There you go changing things to Asian cooking :p

15. Earnshaw

Earnshaw Member

No it isn't, I'm not as way back as Ajole but my HP experience does predate the TS series by a bit. My first HP was a 4095 and I added a Surefire Nitrolon light to it using the compensator and a 1" 22 tip off scope ring.

16. tjulian

tjulian Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm not looking so much for a "pretty" compensator. I'm just looking for a more complete look to the carbine.I've already removed the rail under the barrel and the front sight back to the forearm.

I am also looking for something that is very economical. That's why I'm looking at the factory compensator.

17. TNTRAILERTRASH

One of my 9's is missing the under barrel rail. I bought it without the rear sight. He did put the front sight in a bag. It has a red dot.