Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 995 and was wondering if the comps are for anything other than looks?and does it effect bullet impact,speed,anything?
any info is and will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
It seems to be mostly for looks but a chronometer would tell the tail!

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
I just got mine in the mail the other day, havent put it on yet. It is a very heavy piece of metal for the size. Seems like it would reduce muzzle jump for sure. It also gives it a better look also if you ask me.

I'll try to let you know something later.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Also you can attach accessories to it.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Will they fit with the existing sight intact? I don't know how much goodies i want to add untill the new stock is released,that will add all kinds of options--RR--

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Will they fit with the existing sight intact? I don't know how much goodies i want to add untill the new stock is released,that will add all kinds of options--RR--
Yes it just slips onto the end of the barrel and you tighten a screw with the hex screw they provide. I just read this and put it on to answer your question lol. Looks nice.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Installation of the compensator only takes a few seconds as radair08 said. The allen wrench is included when you get it, so just slide it on and tighten the screw. Make sure you install it correctly so the gases are vented upward to effectively compensate for muzzle rise. If you install it upside down you'll have some SERIOUS muzzle flip as it'll blow the gases down, causing the barrel to rise even more than normal.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
a good friend just loaned me his compensator so I can get some measurements,just looking I'd say that the actual compensation factor of the thing is almost nil,(haven't shot one installed),the vents are at 90 Deg's to the bore.Might be better to call it a flash suppressor.A true compensator should be venting gases upward and backward. I'm thinking about 6" long total,part of this will be lost to the barrel clamp area with say .050 to .060 holes on the upper half, 25 -30 degrees left and right of top dead center in a pattern of 3/16" .Then Birchwood Casety's "cold blue kit" and Viola! A new true compensator is born.Course will take some time to make.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Well have just finished designing the "new" compensator.Overall length is 5".Will also work to hold on the barrell shroud should you want to remove the front sight after scoping/red dot sight installation.This is gonna work.Can't wait to get started on it after work Monday.

Edit by Exmil.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I cant tell there is any effect it may have on the rifle so I took it off as it interferes with my laser which certainly has a useful function. Any compensator shipped without very specific instruction about how it should be installed is not apt to be useful.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rhodes if you dont want/use it,i got dibbs! :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
rhodes if you dont want/use it,i got dibbs! :D :D :D
Hehe Im a packrat...err collector. I never get rid of anything.

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Well have just finished designing the "new" compensator.Overall length is 5".Will also work to hold on the barrell shroud should you want to remove the front sight after scoping/red dot sight installation.This is gonna work.Can't wait to get started on it after work Monday.

Edit by Exmil.
Put me on your list when you get these made.........

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
where's the pics? --RR--

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
when can we get our mitts on one?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey ExMil,

I'd certainly be interested in a couple over here in your neighboring state of Georgia. I have one 995 with another due this week. You mentioned that yours have the notch for the barrel shroud. Do the ones sold by HP have this? I have a Red/Green/Blue dot to install on the one I have now, and the new one has a scope, so I plan to remove the front sights. After the problems I had with the ATI stock, I don't think I'll put it back on the gun. Let me know.

Thanks,
O'Dell

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Madison,nah its not a notch,more like a chamfer/bevel to the ID.I hope the machinist terminology isn't stumping you.(No pun intended).Dunno how many I'll make .All depends on when I can get "machine time" at the shop where I work.And I do know as of today the Lathe I was planning on blanking the part on before mill work ,broke down and I don't know when parts will be in for it.Course I could do it all on a mill,will just take longer.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I didn't understand anything before [no pun intended] [I'm a lawyer - not a machinist <G>] Maybe I should have ask if it would anchor the front of the Shroud. Well, if you do crank any out, I'd be interested.

Thanks,
O'Dell

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Madison,
The way I've designed ,it should work with or without the front sight.But still gotta make 1,2 actually,a good friend wants to remove his front sight(He uses a red dot now)and Im not planning to so I tried to cover both bases.Positive it will work without the front sight,not so sure about the clamping forces on such a short surface area on the barrell with the front sight installed.I shall see tho.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.