Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the subject says.

I'd like to put together a list of makes and models of guns with the ability to change-out barrels. In the future it may be a huge asset to have "one gun" that can quickly be converted to shoot whatever ammo you've been able to scrounge.

Whatever you can find from the single shot HR/NEFs to high dollar sniper rifles.

Bonus points for lists of all available calibers/gauges for a given platform and/or pictures.

Thanks,

-'bridge

·
Registered
367 Posts
thompson contender and encore
one is a carbine ano one is a pistol
i belive that you can get them in near about any caliber/chambering/guage

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Well, the break open NEF/H&R/Rossi/TC rifles/shotguns are probably the most affordable and available. Almost any other type of rifle will require a different bolt if the conversion bbl chambering uses a different case head size.

A couple companies make "caliber adapters" that allow you to shoot smaller rounds out of various rifle and shotgun bbls. These vary from chamber sleeves that let you fire say a .32ACP pistol round in a .308 rifle to a short complete bbl assembly that slides inside a 12guage break open shotgun bbl like a really long shell. They also make similar .22RF inserts with short bbls that fit in rifles.

Uzi carbines

AR15s/AR10s can change out the entire upper assembly for multiple calibers, including pistol rounds with a magwell adapter. There are also a few non-standard but AR based rifles with multi caliber bbls and uppers available such as the MGI Hydra. There is also an aftermarket "quick change" kit for a DIY AR bbl swapout:
http://www.mapartsinc.com/productsDetail.asp?id=1415

Robinson XCR multi caliber rifle.

Erma Sr 100 bolt rifle.

Blaser R93 bolt rifle

FN SCAR?

TPG-1

Sig SHR970 bolt rifle

Accuracy International sniper rifle

1919A6 beltfed ;)

MG42

Sako Quad rimfire

Ruger 10/22 and 77/22 rifles have aftermarket bbls in various .17 and .22 rimfires available. While not a "quick change" system, swapping bbls involves 2 allen bolts and 5 minutes.

Almost all custom made "takedown" rifles that have removeable bbls can be ordered with spare bbl assemblies in a different caliber.

Not a "quick change", but the Savage bbl nut retainer system allows the owner to swap out bbls with just a special wrench and a Go headspace guage for each bbl.

Designs like the Israeli Tavor, Austrian Steyr AUG, and the Magpul Masada/Bushmaster ACR use quick change bbl systems to quickly change bbl lengths for various missions. Eventually someone will start making bbls for them in various calibers that use the .223 sized casehead. The Tavor is available in 9mm, but I don't recall if that was a bbl/bolt/magwell swap or a different rifle. The AUG has a 9mm conversion kit.

Dardick Model 1500 with carbine conversion for the really impractical and obscure collector piece.

If you include pistols, almost all .40S&W pistols can be converted to .357 SIG with a bbl swap, reverse too. There are several break open "hand cannons" such as the TC with mutiple bbl swap possibilities.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
AR15s/AR10s can change out the entire upper assembly for multiple calibers, including pistol rounds with a magwell adapter. There are also a few non-standard but AR based rifles with multi caliber bbls and uppers available such as the MGI Hydra. There is also an aftermarket "quick change" kit for a DIY AR bbl swapout:
http://www.mapartsinc.com/productsDetail.asp?id=1415
I'd just get an AR - I can swap one of those out in seconds, if I can affords all the uppers. And theoretically, you could get an upper for just about every caliber in existence. Carrying the uppers about would be a pain, but so would carrying around a bunch of barrels. Heck, for .22, you don't even need an upper - just get the conversion kit. One lower, so only one gun (legally speaking), but a practically unlimited ability to customize.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I am a big fan of the h&r/nef rifles. I have a .280 thats changes out to a 223/5.56 bull barrel in 30 seconds. it all cost me less than 300. not to mention that the 24" .223/5.56 bull barrel is extremely accurate. :yes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Uzi Carbine/SMG

factory .22 coversion kits, bolt and barrel need changed

9mm to 41action express with a barrel and magazine change, both use the same bolt.

a popular non factory conversion is 40sw and 10mm, use's the same 9mm bolt but a custom barrel, can use 9mm.40ae and even 45 uzi mags with slight modification

45acp with a 45acp bolt, barrel and magazine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.