Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new computer, a Compaq presario, and I've hit a roadblock:

with my last PC, I was using maxivista with a second PC to get multiple monitor ability, unfortunately maxivista doesn't support the Vista WDDM architecture, so now I have to actually use a second video adapter. the onboard chipset for my new PC is an Nvidia GeForce 6150. luckily, I have an older GeForce MX4000 laying around, but I can't find vista drivers for it...

my question is this: since both are made by the same company, could I just install the 4000, let it use the 6150 drivers, and get multimon support ; or will i need to wait till (if) vista drivers become available for the 4000? OR do I need to quit being a pennypincher and just ante up for a dual head graphics card?

any help would be much appreciated...

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
trying to run two video cards in other than matched linked set is not likely to work well.

What you need for dual monitor support is duel monitor outputs on your video card!

Also do you want two cloned screens? or an extended desktop?

If you want two cloned screen you can buy a video splitter and hook both screens to that ..

For the extended desktop you would need dual monitor support on you video card IE two plugs on the back of the computer for monitors.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
By the time you fart around and waste time and energy then buy a cable to split the video only to find out the 4000 is so slow pushing duels, And the 6150's drivers don't work right and....
Well you get it, just spring for a new video card and make sure it comes with the cable for duels or has two outlets on the card.

Good luck with that.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
It's been years since Ive used windows so someone with some Vista knowledge will need to chime in and confirm but,...

Last I checked nVidia drivers were universal. Meaning the download package contained drivers for all nVidia cards. IF this is still the case, and you have the latest nVidia drivers installed, simply installing the card should suffice as t will find the driver for it automatically. If it does not work this way still, you may be able to use the Windows XP drivers for the 4000, I have heard that this works from some people with some devices. YMMV.

You may want to check the nVidia website though because according to it, your 6150 may support dual displays OTB, you just need another physical adapter.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/gpu_mobo_features.html
NVIDIA® nView™ Multi-Display Technology
Advanced technology provides the ultimate in viewing flexibility and control for multiple monitors.
OR, get a video card with dual outputs.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last I checked nVidia drivers were universal. Meaning the download package contained drivers for all nVidia cards. IF this is still the case, and you have the latest nVidia drivers installed, simply installing the card should suffice as t will find the driver for it automatically.
well, since all I'm wanting is an extended desktop, considering this fact, I think I'll try to just install the 4000...
yes I am a cheap bastard...

if all else fails, maybe I'll buy a dual head video card...

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
In order for Aero to work both video cards will have to use the same driver... now in some cases the Nvidea drivers are close enough to the same as long as the card design is close and it will work ... other times and you will have major problems ... if it doesn;t work just remove the older card and everything should revert back and work.

Oh yeah and then you will have to get that duel head card 8)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm so glad I still have XP.... I have an nVidia 7xxx.. (can't remember) & extended desktop. I love it! Now, after 3 years, using someone else's single-monitor computer is a huge inconvenience. Oh, what they said... Get a new video card. I got mine used on ebay (I know) for cheap.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I'd love to run a spanning desktop... I had 3 monitors when i worked at the Sheriff's Office in dispatch... One was the unit screen, center was the CAD (computer aided dispatch), and the left was my NCIC/SLED/SCCJS/DMV stuffs... then I had the telephones on a touch screen to the left of that monitor, but it wasn't running off of my PC... it had it's own CPU.

I was told dual heads or a really fancy one that split the out between 3 monitors.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well.....
I guess I'll be getting that dual head graphics card.....
:cantlook:

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
nvidia drivers for vista arent compatible with older hardware. you need a dedicated dual monitor card designed with vista drivers. sucks but thats MS for ya. just wait till windows 7 comes out and we have to start all over again.......

SW

·
Registered
467 Posts
nvidia drivers for vista arent compatible with older hardware. you need a dedicated dual monitor card designed with vista drivers. sucks but thats MS for ya. just wait till windows 7 comes out and we have to start all over again.......

SW
Windows 7 will not be a new start. It's an evolution of Vista, just as XP was an evolution of Windows 2000 (which never had a "consumer" release). I've played with the beta a little and it's looking pretty good so far.

·
Registered
63 Posts
trying to run two video cards in other than matched linked set is not likely to work well.

What you need for dual monitor support is duel monitor outputs on your video card!

Also do you want two cloned screens? or an extended desktop?

If you want two cloned screen you can buy a video splitter and hook both screens to that ..

For the extended desktop you would need dual monitor support on you video card IE two plugs on the back of the computer for monitors.
This. I do IT support on the side, and I will say that there are a TON of graphics cards with dual monitor support that wont break your bank. Check out newegg.com, or tiger direct. Both have awesome prices, and usually some killer bargains with cheap (but really fast) shipping.

·
Registered
467 Posts
One more thing: Many cards do not have vendor supplied Vista drivers, which doesn't mean they won't work. Vista will support most cards out there, you just won't get dirvers as optimized as you might want. If not gaming, or not using current-gen games, it probably won't matter much.

Also, as previously mentioned, you can get much more recent cards than the mx4000 for pretty cheap. Isn't that an AGP card? The last 6150 chipset MB I had was PCIe, but I don't recall if it also had AGP (some systems around the time of that chipsets initial release offered both). I'd assume any current system would require a PCIe card.

Beyond that, other comments about different methods of supporting dual monitors generally applies.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: computer guys... I need help

BACK FROM THE DEAD......

well, I got that dual head video card, and now I've got another question...

the video card I got is an Nvidia 6200...
now, I got this card, specifically because it is close to the model of the onboard chipset, which is a 6150...

now when I installed the new card, of course it over rode my onboard...

is there any way that I can get both the onboard and the PCI graphics cards to work, now that they both are the same manufacturer, and much closer to the same model?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I really have no idea what the heck you guys are talking about BUT !!!!

I did read Microsoft VISTA. I DO have that...... I can read blogs and all I can say is GOOD LUCK...... Vista is about a silly millimeter better than their old Millenium........ Remember that little gem ???? Enough said. GOOD LUCK !!!!

·
Premium Member
478 Posts

BACK FROM THE DEAD......

now, I got this card, specifically because it is close to the model of the onboard chipset, which is a 6150...

is there any way that I can get both the onboard and the PCI graphics cards to work, now that they both are the same manufacturer, and much closer to the same model?
Why would you want to. You are now getting the duel monitor support you were looking for. Quit messing around and get to know the equipment you have now. You don't dig into a gun where you aren't supposed to go. You take it to a gun smith. You just learn to shoot it and clean it. Do your computer the same.
Keeping the BG's OUT of your computer will keep you busy. That is, if you even notice the BG's are in it.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
IMO, and I am no IT guy, I bought an NVIDIA card for my desktop and it is an HP so its the same company. Now I don't know which model it is off hand but it has dual monitor conectors. I would suggest you go that way because I have found in case of a crash it is easier to use hardware to add a component than to use software and have to re-do anything in the event of a crash. Hope it never happens but you know how it goes.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, I resurected this old zombie for nothing...

apparently, you have to use the exact same model card in order to achieve more than 2 monitor capability, so I guess it's off to get another card...

·
Registered
467 Posts

BACK FROM THE DEAD......

I don't currently have a system with that chipset, but I did. I *thought* it was an either/or option. As far as I recall, only the newer ATI chipset allow concurrent use with specific video cards. The onboard chip uses system memory for video memory so you really are better off not bothering to use it.

If you have the motherboard model I/We can look up the online manual and confirm the options/settings.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
You have to use either the onboard or the added video card, both can't be turned on at the same time.

If the video card has 2 outputs (e.g. 2 DVI ports) you can plug both monitors into that card and use NVidia's configuration tool to setup extended desktop.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts