Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting hypothetical (although with ammo prices going sky high might be a bit more than a hypothetical). If you had a choice between a Raven, a Davis P32 or Bryco/Jennings/JA 32 which would you choose to carry concealed and why?

I know the calibers are not great. But 25 and 32 are still reasonably cheap.

The guns listed above are available, although going up in price, (seen a Raven on GB go for over 200 and local listing on Armslist for a Davis P380 is asking 250) and easier to get than some of the higher quality 25s and 32s.

It would be interesting to see what kind of history SNS have as a concealed carry weapon. I suspect they were carried both legally and illegally in far greater numbers than many would suspect (although I have nothing to back that guess up with).

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
32 ACP has a tendency to tumble on impact. Nasty. it's why I don't have any qualms about loaning my parents my Kel-Tec p32 for their carry needs.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
25, and 32 is cheap?

A Raven is lucky to go through a single mag without a jam.

Get a Taurus for under $300. Let them eat 9.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
25, and 32 is cheap?

Get a Taurus for under $300. Let them eat 9.
Yes, I can find 25 and 32 for about 34-36 cents a round. 380 and 9mm is pushing a 70+ cents a round.

I have had some decent success with Ravens. Now the biggest issue with Ravens, is if you grab too far up on the gun it seems to mess with the cycling of the next round. Plus the slide safety is not very conducive to concealed carry.

I would consider getting a Taurus 25 if I could find one for a reasonable price.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
The link shows where they’re for sale
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Tumbling doesn't bother me. It does bother the recipient of the bullet. Both the AK and M16 tended to tumble in the Viet Nam "conflict" causing awful wounds, or worse.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wouldn't choose any Raven, Davis, or Bryco for conceal carry. They just aren't dependable enough. In the 70's and 80's I carried a Colt Junior .25. When I discovered the Colt Mustang Pocketlite in .380 I retired the Junior. Both are true pocket guns and both are very reliable. The barrel on the pocketlite is a bit longer and the sights are much better making it a more accurate pistol for me. I also like that the .380 makes a bigger hole The Colt is pricey but if you're going to trust your life with the gun you carry don't you want dependable instead of cheap?

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn't choose any Raven, Davis, or Bryco for conceal carry. They just aren't dependable enough. In the 70's and 80's I carried a Colt Junior .25. When I discovered the Colt Mustang Pocketlite in .380 I retired the Junior. Both are true pocket guns and both are very reliable. The barrel on the pocketlite is a bit longer and the sights are much better making it a more accurate pistol for me. I also like that the .380 makes a bigger hole The Colt is pricey but if you're going to trust your life with the gun you carry don't you want dependable instead of cheap?

View attachment 66929
Both the Junior and Pocketlite are probably fine firearms, I have not used either. But they are also way more expensive than the original three firearms noted. And 380 is getting ridiculously expensive and hard to find. The cost of ammo will likely continue to go up (the election is just around the corner). Those that carry a 380 or 9mm might need to look at alternatives. If you carry, you need to shoot your carry gun on a regular basis, that might become very difficult with an increasing ammo shortage.

The point of the original post was to have discussion about the pros and cons of the Raven, Davis P32 and the Jennings/Bryco/JA 32 in regards to concealed carry (also why I originally had posted this discussion in the Saturday Night Special forum). What are the advantages and disadvantages of each firearm? For instance, I would suggest that the slide safety on the Raven would be very difficult to use under stress vs the up and down safety. But is that really the case, I have not tested it? Would the chunkier P32 be a better pocket gun because it is chunkier and maybe a bit easier to draw than the slimmer Raven and Jennings/Bryco/JA 32? Are the Jennings/Bryco/JA 32 magazines the better made of three? They seem to be sturdier than the Raven and Davis P32 magazines.

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
If you had a choice between a Raven, a Davis P32 or Bryco/Jennings/JA 32 which would you choose to carry concealed and why?
I've owned a number of them all and have carried them all at different times.

Ranked from smallest & lightest: Raven, Bryco/Jennings/JA 32; Davis P32.

Raven: Of the pistols you've listed, the easiest pistol for me to conceal is a Raven. I'm a tad over 6' tall, weigh 185#, and typically wear well fitting jeans and tee shirts. I can conceal a Raven in an IWB holster pretty well. Felt recoil is nil thanks to the caliber.
The sliding safety can be a PITA, so look for one with a push up "disk" safety.

Bryco/Jennings/JA 32: Size is pretty good and it's got nice rounded edges. However, it's based on the M38 (.380) frame, which has a checkered history of frame and slide failures and I've never trusted them personally. Followup shots are a bit difficult to keep on paper without adjusting your grip; if you decide to get one, put a Hogue Handall on it.

Davis P32 / Cobra CA32: Built on the .380 frame, it's big, clunky, heavy, squared edges, and can be very reliable. Design-wise, it's a Raven on steroids. It's comfortable to shoot, and I can put all seven rounds on paper with it. It feels real good in my hands.

Of the pistols you specifically listed, my choices would be Raven for deep concealment, otherwise it would be a Cobra CA32. Having said that, I would look long and hard at a Kel-Tec P32. It's small, light, very easy to conceal, and will get the job done for you. Plus, Kel-Tec is still in business!

YMMV, but I've got to say this hasn't been my experience at all. I have noticed that people seem to love to eff with the magazines and that is a surefire way to cause problems.

Reactions: SWAGA

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
Would the chunkier P32 be a better pocket gun because it is chunkier and maybe a bit easier to draw than the slimmer Raven and Jennings/Bryco/JA 32? Are the Jennings/Bryco/JA 32 magazines the better made of three? They seem to be sturdier than the Raven and Davis P32 magazines.
The P32 gets snagged in my pocket. I used an IWB holster when I carried it. YMMV. Mag quality is all over the place, I wouldn't say one is that much better than the other. As I mentioned in my earlier post, people eff with mags a lot. The Raven mags that I've purchased directly from Phoenix Arms have been perfect.

·
Premium Member
35,989 Posts
Over the years, I’ve managed to collect more than a few guns capable of being carried in pockets. None are smaller than .380. The 9x17 guns are the smallest, but I have small 9x18 and 9x19 guns as well. If I were looking to carry .32 or .25, I’d try to find a KelTec or Beretta. The Keltec May be craptastic, but mine work fine. The Beretta wouldn’t be cheap, but it would be less than a Glock.

Reactions: adam01364

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've owned a number of them all and have carried them all at different times.

Ranked from smallest & lightest: Raven, Bryco/Jennings/JA 32; Davis P32.

Raven: Of the pistols you've listed, the easiest pistol for me to conceal is a Raven. I'm a tad over 6' tall, weigh 185#, and typically wear well fitting jeans and tee shirts. I can conceal a Raven in an IWB holster pretty well. Felt recoil is nil thanks to the caliber.
The sliding safety can be a PITA, so look for one with a push up "disk" safety.

Bryco/Jennings/JA 32: Size is pretty good and it's got nice rounded edges. However, it's based on the M38 (.380) frame, which has a checkered history of frame and slide failures and I've never trusted them personally. Followup shots are a bit difficult to keep on paper without adjusting your grip; if you decide to get one, put a Hogue Handall on it.

Davis P32 / Cobra CA32: Built on the .380 frame, it's big, clunky, heavy, squared edges, and can be very reliable. Design-wise, it's a Raven on steroids. It's comfortable to shoot, and I can put all seven rounds on paper with it. It feels real good in my hands.

Of the pistols you specifically listed, my choices would be Raven for deep concealment, otherwise it would be a Cobra CA32. Having said that, I would look long and hard at a Kel-Tec P32. It's small, light, very easy to conceal, and will get the job done for you. Plus, Kel-Tec is still in business!

YMMV, but I've got to say this hasn't been my experience at all. I have noticed that people seem to love to eff with the magazines and that is a surefire way to cause problems.
The slide safeties are a pain in the butt. I don't see how anyone could use one under stress. I wonder what the rationale was for them? Was it just price (probably)?

Interesting that finding disk safety Ravens is not easy. I see lots of slide safeties on GB but not many disk safeties.

Interesting in regards to the Bryco frame issue. Have you heard/seen a 32 have frame/slide issues? I don't recall reading any issues on the BJJA forum. As noted in a different post, I really like the Bryco/Jennings/JA 32, it fits good and shoots well. I just got some additional magazines for it. I have about 400 rounds problem free through it. I did have some issues the last time I was at the range, first time any issues arose, and I think it was due to one of the new(er) magazines.

I have a Davis P32, it has had some issues but I would chalk that up to not being broken in yet. Need to do some more testing. It is definitely a chunky little gun. LOL!

I had a Kel Tec P32, I really wanted to like it. The 10 round magazines are awesome! With that said, I was having extractions issues , that Kel Tec took care and I was always shooting low (I have read that seems to be a recurring issue for P32 owners). I never really got used to it. It was a gen 1, and I thought I read the gen 2 has a bit bigger of a front sight. Maybe I will have to look for a gen 2.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The P32 gets snagged in my pocket. I used an IWB holster when I carried it. YMMV. Mag quality is all over the place, I wouldn't say one is that much better than the other. As I mentioned in my earlier post, people eff with mags a lot. The Raven mags that I've purchased directly from Phoenix Arms have been perfect.
Good to know about the Phoenix Arms magazines. They seem pretty reasonably priced on their website and their customer service seems to be pretty good.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Over the years, I've managed to collect more than a few guns capable of being carried in pockets. None are smaller than .380. The 9x17 guns are the smallest, but I have small 9x18 and 9x19 guns as well. If I were looking to carry .32 or .25, I'd try to find a KelTec or Beretta. The Keltec May be craptastic, but mine work fine. The Beretta wouldn't be cheap, but it would be less than a Glock.
See above in regards to the Kel Tec P32.

Sadly, my experience with Beretta 25s has not been good. Both the 950BS and Model 21 have not been reliable. I would have to check my range notes but I think both have had major issues on the range.

·
Administrator
24,793 Posts
The point of the original post was to have discussion about the pros and cons of the Raven, Davis P32 and the Jennings/Bryco/JA 32 in regards to concealed carry (also why I originally had posted this discussion in the Saturday Night Special forum).
You're new. If you knew this audience, you would know it doesn't matter what you wanted. They're going to take it wherever they decide it should go. You put "concealed carry" as the title, not "compare and contrast these firearms".

The point of the entire SNS section is to discuss those firearms. It kind of makes your post redundant.

Reactions: 7000al

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're new. If you knew this audience, you would know it doesn't matter what you wanted. They're going to take it wherever they decide it should go. You put "concealed carry" as the title, not "compare and contrast these firearms".

The point of the entire SNS section is to discuss those firearms. It kind of makes your post redundant.
Good point. Things on the internet can and often do end up all over the place. LOL!

I was wondering about where to post it. Thanks to whoever moved it.

And a remainder to myself to not post when tired. I had to delete an earlier post, since I was mixing up ideas. Hahaha!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts