Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it was way to hot to work in the garage today, and I decided to play around on the computer a bit. Was looking at all the torn up stocks I have and said, "Why not a wood stock for the 995?"

Now, I'm not the best at designing organic shapes... specially with the program I'm using. Still needs alot of work, just wanted to have some sort of concept on "paper".

All the internal cuts I actually payed attention to. They are drawn up to fit the carbine, so those have to stay where they are at... all the rest can change. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I think if you're shooting for a wood stock, attempt to make the stock California legal... like a traditional rifle. ;) Still looks good, and you still amaze me. +1

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strangerous: The reason I left the strap was cause I figure the wood pistol grip would need some sort of reinforcement.

Silicon Wolverine: The ATI does not have any issues so hopefully yes it will have the same "issues" that the ATI has. Material could be pretty much anything wood, laminate, plastic, what ever. Once the fixtures and cutting code is done the material is of minimal consequence.

WildBillCody: Like I said, its just a concept, it will probably be re-shapped many times more. The trigger guard would have to be made of bent steel or machined aluminum in order to be strong enough.

·
Banned
1,408 Posts
I like the idea. I was thinking of trying to design something too. There is no way to make a "traditional" stock because of the magazine. You could do more of a thumbhole design instead of the strap style which looks more like a wood ATI.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
I think if you're shooting for a wood stock, attempt to make the stock California legal... like a traditional rifle. ;) Still looks good, and you still amaze me. +1
If the stock were filled in behind the 'pistol grip' so the thumb could not wrap around, it should be CA legal with the 10 round magazine without a BB or muzzle device. Overall length would have to be 30 plus inches to stay legal though. If HP were to adopt the stock described as an option it could make the carbine importable to CA without alteration.

If you contact them with the idea let us know what the reaction is.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
.....stock described as an option it could make the carbine importable to CA without alteration.

If you contact them with the idea let us know what the reaction is.
Last time I tried to contact HP with a "great idea" I was given the cold shoulder.... so I decided to make the triggers and handles for myself and was forced to make a profit :wink: . Maybe this project will go down the same road.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
...Last time I tried to contact HP with a "great idea" I was given the cold shoulder.... so I decided to make the triggers and handles for myself and was forced to make a profit :wink: . Maybe this project will go down the same road.
If you check Calguns.net you'll find several gun dealers that alter rifles to make them importable to CA. Generally alterations have to be done before a rifle is sent into the state. You might be able to hook up with a FFL local to you and sell the modified rifles to CA residents. I have no idea of the legalities or limitations involved in doing so. Again, should you wish to try it, I'll wish you the best of luck. :wink:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I haven't built a stock from scratch so I don't know, but from looking at my 995, it seems like it would be a lot easier to make the grip and the stock area around the grip out of metal, with a wood buttstock and foregrip.
One idea I had was a redesigned receiver cover to go along with a different stock. A combo wood and metal stock like I talked about above, but with a non humpbacked reciever cover, a wood fore grip underneath, and a wood hand grip that covers the entire area above the barrel from the receiver up to the front sight to give the rifle nice clean lines.

My photoshop-fu isn't good enough to put a picture out there that matches up to what is in my head, but give it some thought.

·
Registered
247 Posts
http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/detail/1937_smle.htm

Ignore everything but the business end of this sadly neutered former firearm, and you will have a vague idea what I mean about the grip and handguard set up I lack the artistic skill to depict.
A number of the military rifles from that period had the entire barrel encased within the stock, and that might be an attractive look on a 995 with the right guy designing it.

Not me obviously, I can't even draw it. :D

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I wonder if you could do something similar to this:

Would this be possible while still keeping the necessary angle of the grip? I think a 995 or 4095 would look ultra sexy with a stock similar to this.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I'm liking the idea of making the "bottom" of the receive aluminum and the rest wood (very much like an AK). This wold save me in having to make a stock that is split down the middle... just need to figure out a way to attach all the parts together.

The chances of me selling fully finished stocks are pretty low to nill. But if I figure out all the mechanics and fit I would be more than willing to sell them as semi-finished or blanks with all the internals cut out. I think that way people can do what they want and we will see alot more variations and concepts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You are killing me Bushman :lol: Now I am gonna have to get another 995 to put a Bushman stock on it. You guys are gonna get me in real trouble with my wife tisk tisk :D

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
You are killing me Bushman :lol: Now I am gonna have to get another 995 to put a Bushman stock on it. You guys are gonna get me in real trouble with my wife tisk tisk :D
Same here my friend. This is making me want to buy a 995. Sadly, my wife says no long guns...for now. They say its easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I like that idea a lot. I'd love to get a semi finished stock and add my own tweaks. A laminate stock could be the way to go, you can do a lot with stains and coatings.

Just my 2 cents

Ron M.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.