Consider very carefully whether or not to join the NRA

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Jul 22, 2019.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I taught another Ohio CHL (concealed carry) class this weekend. At the end of class I have a segment on joining pro-firearms advocacy group. I have always advocated for the NRA as one of the best bang-for-the-buck, if for no other reason then because if their breadth and influence. This time I didn't. I told them, without much details, that until the NRA gets their act cleaned up maybe the students should consider one of the other advocacy groups such as Buckeye Firearms, The Second Amendment Foundation, or even JPFO. I told them that I'm keeping my membership up because I want the NRA to reform and, as a voting eligible member, I at least have that. But the students, on the other hand, might want to wait on the NRA and join something else for now.

Wayne LaPierre and his cronies have to go.

BTW, I have now heard of at least three different organizations which have sprung up since the debacle at the last NRA Annual Meeting with the specific aim of forcing LaPierre & cronies out and reforming the NRA to be what it is supposed, NEEDS, to be. One of them is aimed at big doners and what if I heard is even half right is going to cost the NRA millions of lost donations. Another one is Save The Second ( http://www.savethe2a.org/ ), spearheadded by well known firearms trainer Rob Pincus and Jeff Knox, the son of Neal Knox the engineer of the famous Cincinatti Revolt which is credited for changing the direction of the NRA in 1977. This is the one which I am supporting and which I think is the best vehicle for the average NRA member to affect change.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  2. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Member

I haven't renewed and my membership expired 2 weeks ago. I'm looking into other groups but have not decided yet.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

If you are a voting eligible member, I recommend maintaining your membership, voting, and working through Save The Second. If you're not a member, well, your call.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

glockr, SDProf and CowboyBob like this.
  4. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

First choice ought to be a NATIONAL organization. GOA is a good choice. I am also a member of the TFA. I could snag into my dad's NRA "legacy" membership as he is a lifetime member.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  5. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Once they actually start supporting gun privileges (privileges, a "right" can not be infringed...ever, in any way shape or form-unless YOU do something naughty) ...THEN I'll join the NRA. I'm a Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, type of guy. I want the US to be like Switzerland.

undeRGRound and 7000al like this.
  6. Rerun

Rerun Member

I don't.

The Swiss can pull firearm ownership from their population anytime they want.

Here,
    it will take a civil war to do so.

eldar

Armynurse and glockr like this.
  7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I don't.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. missiledefender

Firearms legislation in Switzerland allows the free acquisition of semi-automatic, but not fully automatic firearms by Swiss citizens and foreigners with permanent residence. Permits for concealed carrying in public are issued sparingly.

That's the Swiss Law (boiled down). I like it. is it perfect? No. Neither is The US Version.

I like that its pretty acquisition is pretty free and open.

How I want it: No paperwork, walk in, walk out, like I'm buying clothes. No government restrictions, of any kind of the type, places carried or way that they are carried...period.

I want that decision left to the property owner and not the government.

You wanna carry a concealed carried M60 Machine Gun, at the day care? Fine, have a nice day Sir/Ma-am.

HOWEVER, as a Libertarian, mess up, damage property or kill someone without cause...be prepared to be punished: severely.

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Not any more. Now the Swiss have their scary black rifles banned because the beta in the EU saw one once and wet their pants. The Swiss now have to register their guns, including component parts. The Swiss now have to get a special mother-may-I just to own. The Swiss now have to prove that they're a member of a "gun club" or prove that they regularly practice "sport shooting." A magazine capacity restriction (11 rounds for a rifle). And I saved the best for last, the EU can add anything else it wants every 5 years.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

yworrydog and OldOutlaw like this.
  11. Rerun

Rerun Member

Except,
    the Swiss DO allow ownership of Fully automatic weapons.

You didn't read the link that Kirk supplied.

At the bottom of that linked article was another link to firearm ownership by the people of Iceland.

eldar

12. missiledefender

Youre both contradicting each other. Regardless

We shouldn't NEED these groups because our "rights" (privileges) shouldn't have been restricted at all by the government.

SWAGA likes this.
  13. Rerun

Rerun Member

No, we aren't.
    Read the linked article.

eldar

14. missiledefender

I have read the article....point?

One is speaking of Auto, one is speaking of Semi Auto

15. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    My NRA membership expires in September. I am not renewing it. I am a member of the GOA, and I have made a extra donation to them for the same amount as my NRA dues.

missiledefender likes this.
  16. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

here is the thing about the NRA. they are the only group that has the clout to make the anti gunners in Congress think twice.

it is a shame that the NRA is imploding, and the open call for confiscation I feel is happening because of the internal issues that the NRA is experiencing. I also support GOA, but they just dont, at this time anyway, have what it takes to make the gun grabbers tremble. I hope they soon will.

I hope the NRA can fix itself. As long as the NRA is viable, I will not pull my support from what I believe is still our best hope.

shubbell, Armynurse, glockr and 6 others like this.
  17. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

We'll see. In the mean time you can squeeze your wallet for a membership to the GOA?

Rerun likes this.
  18. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I went to the NRA website and their ‘contact us’ and left a message not to send me any mailings/emails until LP is out.
    Next day...new email.
    :rolleyes:

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You seem to be reading about the way it used to be.

The point is under the new laws, you only are “allowed” to “own” automatics is you are in the military, which was a concession the Swiss got because the EU wanted them gone; and you are only “allowed” to buy semi guns if you can prove you are training with them, which requires a gun club sign off. So no, you can’t just go buy a semi gun anymore, unless you can prove it has a legitimate use as a target rifle, and several people officially say you are actually going to use it for target shooting. So you either have to shoot it enough to keep the gun club president happy, or you have to know someone. The Germans have used that system for a long time

I have no idea what the handgun laws will be, but in the past, you had to have a simple “not a criminal or danger to himself or society” permit to buy the handgun at all, and then prove a need to get a carry permit.

20. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter