Constable serving eviction order kills 12-year-old

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Jan 13, 2016.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

http://news.yahoo.com/police-constable-serving-eviction-order-kills-12-old-192948598.html;_ylt=AwrC0F9bxJZWOHwAairQtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTBybGY3bmpvBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--

I don't particularly like that headline. While it is technically true, it is misleading

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Well...that sucks for everyone involved.:(

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Eviction in the winter time.
    Monday morning quarterbacking here but couldn't he have shot the guy in the torso?
    Couple of inches either way could have made a big difference.
    Tragic in any case.

* guess he could have paid a month worth of rent by not buying the gun or pawning it *

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  4. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    Tragic.
    Constables are elected, not hired. Who knows how much, or how little handgun training that he had.
    I was at a volunteer fire station fund raiser several years ago when I heard a local constable say that he had only bought one box of ammo when he bought his pistol four years before and he still had most of it left.

5. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Could be the Constable pulled the trigger prematurely. May never know for sure. Tragic loss of life.

6. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Tragic event, too bad she wasn't at school instead of being home!

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Pennsylvania girl, 12, killed after father aims gun at constable
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/13/us/pennsylvania-constable-shoots-girl-dead/index.html

She was home sick from school but still put into that situation by her 'father'.
    He closed the door the first time.
    He should have gotten her out of the way before he opened the door the second time to initiate the confrontation.

Lot of people here on the forum have had to sell guns when things got tight.
    He could have avoided the eviction as he clearly had a rifle worth a month of rent.

8. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Yeah , maybe a friend would have loaned the money in exchange for the rifle as collateral. This is a sad deal and it gives the gun grabbers more ammo.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Thanks for looking at the other possibilities here. You have to wonder if the constable ID'd himself, or what they said in the first contact as well.

I was all set to call you on the idea that the constable could have aimed better...I'm sure the guy with the AR stood still to make it easy...but I'll refrain since the idea that a guy with a $500-$1000 gun was several months behind was also my real question.;)

Wonder if the landlord had seen that gun under less than friendly circumstances?

Regardless...it's a full load of crap for everyone involved, no matter who is to blame, or who eventually gets ripped by the law.:(

10. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I'm gonna go with the guy aiming a loaded AR at a cop. Everything that happened after that is completely his fault. He solely started the chain of events.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I'd agree, but we don't know both sides of the story yet. Realistically, we don't know any of the real story yet, if you consider that all we have is a media report.;)

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

In many places, he could be charged with her murder because his illegal actions directly lead to her death.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The story would have to be radically different. Man points gun at another person. Whether that other person has identified himself as a LEO or not is irrelevant. The act of pointing the gun at him is a genuine Deadly Threat. At that point, Deadly Force is justified.

Both of the media stories would have to be very very wrong about some important detail.

The man who pointed his rifle at another person is directly responsible for the death of the girl.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Well....there is one scenario that is in direct conflict with that idea.

If some guy is pounding on your door yelling at you, you think you are being threatened, you open the door to confront the "attacker", see he has a gun, don't see a badge, slam your door, go to get your gun to "stand your ground" against this potential home invasion, open the door and point your gun to chase him off your property, and the "bad guy" at your door opens fire...

Yeah, I know, it's probably not true...but it could be.;)

15. tallbump

I like this thread, discussing differnt possibilites but remaining civil.

I do wonder, personally, if they rifle ws even pointed at teh constable? Who knows?

I do find it somewhat suspicions that the man with the rifle pointed the rifle at the constable, and the constable had time to draw and fire, and the man with the rifle never fired. Entirely possible, sure..but seems odd to me.

I do also take some issue with teh constable's apparent horrible aim...but I wsn't in his shoes and don't know the whole situation. But, given what has been reported, it seems they must have been at very close range. One just outside the door and one just inside? Less than 10 feet? To not hit center mass??????

Sure, perhaps the target or shooter were moving....but again, given what he know, seems unlikely. Possibly, the shooter/constable drew, moved to get out of the way while firing? Not too unrealistic I suppose.

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Stress and Adrenal Dump makes fine motor skills and delicate aim turn crap. Most people are lucky to be able to hit torso during adrenal dump. That's one reason why properly training Robo-Droid and then knowing when/how to release him is so important for military, LEO, and self defense and why it's so important to train Robo-Droid to your specific needs.

Adrenal Dump. I used to have a link to a study (focusing on LEO) at one point. I'll see if I can find it again.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. tallbump

Yea, I can see that.

I guess that's why we need to practice, practice, practice, so it becomes muscle memory

18. Depending on the state he might be charged with murder. Very sad that a little girl had to die whatever the reason for the eviction.

19. And then we have the grandmother with no training, first time shooting hit the bad guy in the gut. I have seen this for years that people who are not LE, with no training are better shots. I am sure they have just as much adrenal dump.

Personally just my opinion I believe that too little, or too much training can backfire. It is the thought process that counts, and people with no training have to think, that is all they have to fall back on, and it works.

The most important training a person can do for such situations is train to think under pressure. Just like commercial truck drivers. Without that the training is going to backfire.