Construction paper grips

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by ynot, Nov 22, 2014.

1. ynot

ynot Member

I was going through some old pictures and found some shots of the process I used to make my laminate grips from construction paper. I have posted pictures of the finished grips before but though you all might enjoy seeing some in process shots. I used 9 layers alternating 6 sheets of each colour bonded together with fibreglass resin using the method described here http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-homemade-micarta/

There is still some dust in the finish that I need to sand out and refinish but overall I'm happy with how they turned out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

That's pretty cool!!!....

3. Those look great, I would actually buy a set of those for my C9. If I find the time maybe even make my own set.

4. ynot

ynot Member

I would have loved to bought a set too as it took me about 30 hours over several months to complete them. There is a lot going on underneath the grips and if they aren't properly relieved the pistol won't function. Originally I was going to use spectraply laminated wood but at the time the smallest piece I could find that was wide enough to make a grip from was going to cost me $98. I see now that they offer pepper mill blanks for $14 which if cut correctly should yield several sets of grips. Maybe some of the guys on the forum making and selling grips will start offering this as an option. Just check out the colour options they offer and imagine how cool they would look. http://www.cousineauwoodproducts.com/pepper-mill-blanks/

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Your pepper mill blanks list a 3"x3"x11" size, but looks like a wedge shape. Is it actually a 3x3x11 rectangle? If so, I could see several sets for the $14 blank :D

6. ynot

ynot Member

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Got it. That is the easiest way to show the layers.

Very Nice! Your "topographic map style" is what looks best, IMO.

8. 0311

0311 Member

What type of finish did you use on them?

9. ynot

ynot Member

I used Minwax indoor/outdoor Helmsman Spar Urethane clear gloss. It is a pretty slick finish which I know a lot of people don't want on their grips but I like it and it doesn't cause me any problems handling the pistol.

10. panoz77

panoz77 Member