Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a very nice letter today from my Senator, stating his support for our Second Amendment Rights, after sending him a very civilized letter expressing my opposition to HR45.
It is your duty as a citizen to occasionally remind your representatives in Congress and the Senate, what your views are
on pending legislation. Read the text of the legislation, and be sure you understand what it says.
Take a few minutes to think out and write, in a grammatically correct, and properly spelled letter, to your state and federal representatives, how you feel. Without your direct input, they fall prey to the whims of the polls controlled by liberal media, and it's false representation of public opinion.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That proposed legislation is very, very scary.

I recall, many years ago when they were talking about a possible "assault weapon bill," I wrote to my representative. I got this long letter, in which he told of his time in the military and how weapons like the BAR were safely locked up at night, when they weren't in action, because they were so devastating. Then he went on to say it worried him to imagine that weapons like this were "on our streets."

In other words, he demonstrated in writing, that he had no idea what he was voting for, since he apparently believed the hundreds of rifles on the AWB list were fully-automatic machine guns like his old BAR.

What a dope. A dope with the power to our guns away.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I got a letter back as well, Not quite what I was looking for.:

Thank you for contacting me about gun safety related legislation. I support sensible gun safety laws and strict enforcement of those laws to help stem the tide of crimes committed with firearms. I believe Congress can and should pursue legislative solutions to prevent gun violence without infringing on the rights of law-abiding citizens.

I was an original cosponsor of the Brady Law (P.L.103-159), which requires prospective handgun purchasers to undergo criminal background checks before purchasing firearms. Between 1994 and 1999, over 22 million background checks were completed and more than 536,000 felons, fugitives and other prohibited persons were prevented from illegally purchasing firearms. I also support extending the protections of the Brady Law to purchases made at gun shows, thereby closing the loophole that currently permits gun sales without criminal background checks.

I also support increased funding for law enforcement efforts aimed at curbing gun-related crime. I have worked to increase the number of Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) agents and have supported funding for local prosecutors to target gun-related crimes. Between 1993 and 2000, strengthened enforcement efforts resulted in a 16 percent increase in the number of gun cases filed and a 41 percent increase in the number of offenders sentenced to more than five years in prison nationwide. I will continue to support funding for law enforcement efforts to ensure that our gun laws are strictly enforced.
If you would like to learn more about my views and record on this issue, I encourage you to visit the gun safety section of my website at [http://levin.senate.gov].

I advised him that this was supposed to be a representative form of government. ???

·
Registered
216 Posts
I got a letter back as well, Not quite what I was looking for.:

Thank you for contacting me about gun safety related legislation. I support sensible gun safety laws and strict enforcement of those laws to help stem the tide of crimes committed with firearms. I believe Congress can and should pursue legislative solutions to prevent gun violence without infringing on the rights of law-abiding citizens.

I was an original cosponsor of the Brady Law (P.L.103-159), which requires prospective handgun purchasers to undergo criminal background checks before purchasing firearms. Between 1994 and 1999, over 22 million background checks were completed and more than 536,000 felons, fugitives and other prohibited persons were prevented from illegally purchasing firearms. I also support extending the protections of the Brady Law to purchases made at gun shows, thereby closing the loophole that currently permits gun sales without criminal background checks.

I also support increased funding for law enforcement efforts aimed at curbing gun-related crime. I have worked to increase the number of Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) agents and have supported funding for local prosecutors to target gun-related crimes. Between 1993 and 2000, strengthened enforcement efforts resulted in a 16 percent increase in the number of gun cases filed and a 41 percent increase in the number of offenders sentenced to more than five years in prison nationwide. I will continue to support funding for law enforcement efforts to ensure that our gun laws are strictly enforced.
If you would like to learn more about my views and record on this issue, I encourage you to visit the gun safety section of my website at [http://levin.senate.gov].

I advised him that this was supposed to be a representative form of government. ???
Looks like we're going to have to work to remove Lenin..er..LEVIN from office.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Most of you don't remember because you weren't even born but prior to 1968 guns weren't even required to have serial numbers. You wanted a gun you just went and got one. No one thought anything about it. THAT was just the way it was. Today you think all this bs is normal. They slipped this stuff through quietly and bam. there it was before anyone knew what it was about or the fact that they were loosing their rights. Couldn't even imagine such a thing. Now, 40+ years later we are still fighting it.

We kept loaded guns in the house. You grow up with it, gun safety is taught right from the get go. You don't point a gun at anything you didn't expect to kill and you don't put your hand into the bailer. (that's a farm thing)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Apparently gun control and law enforcement are not working well for Michigan, where

the overall Detroit crime index (per 100k) is double the national average,

violent crime five times the national average,

murder is seven times the national average,

rape is double the national average,

robbery is four times the national average, and

aggravated assault is three times the national average.

(http://detroit.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm)

This wussy gun obsession on the left is tiresome and dangerous for Americans who want to protect their families and patriots whose only desire is that government fear the people.

"When they Government fears the people, there is Liberty, When the people fear
the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I had something to say about those statistics and I wrote it.... Then I read it and if anyone else read it I would probably get arrested or at best, kicked off this site. LOL
I can appreciate where I live, I can't get much farther away from Detroit. Most of us have offered Detroit to Canada but they don't want it.
I am trying to do my part to get the laws changed here. But this state continues to pull the Democratic lever. We have the worst financial situation in the country. They vote Democrat. We are spending more money on nothing. They vote democrat. Our manufacturing jobs are going out of country and they vote Democrat.

Michigan forgot the process and that we need a balance between Democrats and Republicans. That would put checks and balances back into our government. Good for Michigans economy and good for us gun toting fools. LOL (Notice how I changed the subject)

·
Registered
39 Posts
BTW HR45 has been around for a while. It was proposed in the last congress as well and never got out of committee.

Congressman Bobby Rush of South Chicago is a blatant political hack, opportunist and the co-founder of the Chicago Black Panther Party. The May 10, 2007, Blair Holt incident occurred in Chicago, which already has some of the most draconian anti-gun legislation in the country. Parts of HR45 would appear to conflict with the 4th, 5th and 14th Amendments of the Constitution as well. There were no co-sponsors the last time I checked.

Public reaction to this proposed legislation has been quite vocal. Though truth and common sense are of little value to the gun banning crowd, it may be important to note that the violent crime rate is at a 30 year low (FBI crime statistics Sep 2008).

Letting your elected representatives know your opinion of these laws is always a good idea, no matter where you live.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.