Conversation at the gas station this morning

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rachgier, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I drove Traci to work this morning and ran in to grab a cup of coffee. While I'm standing there waiting to pay one of the old ranchers sitting at a table strikes up a conversation and this is how it went;

"So I hear you're from New York."

"Yes Sir."

"What in the world made you move to La Junta? There ain't sh*t here."

"Well I lived here 9 years ago and fell in love with the place. Now that I'm retired the woman and I decided it was time to get out of NY. Taxes are disgustingly high, the gun laws are despicable, Cuomo is a Nazi, and the crime is getting out of control."

"Retired?! You're too young to be retired."

"Believe me, it wasn't my choice. I took a forced medical retirement for a line of duty injury."

"Well that makes sense, but this place is going to hell. Damn Mexicans and druggies everywhere."

"No disrespect Sir, but you guys don't have sh*t for crime around here. Last month the Fowler Police Chief was bragging about busting 2 houses and getting like 20 bags of heroin, a few hundred dollars and a couple of dealers. The night before that happened where I live? They busted one house with one dealer and took 500 bags of heroin, a few hundred pain pills, a dozen ecstasy pills, a few ounces of weed, some crack, and several thousand dollars. Hell, just this weekend there was a double stabbing, a shooting, a murder, an arson fire that killed an elderly couple and their dog, and two high risk federal warrants served that netted two fugitives wanted for skipping bail on murder charges. What did you have, a couple of smashed pumpkins and a bar fight?"

"I suppose."

"Besides, I'm not worried about it. If you're dumb enough to jump my fence with all the beware of dog signs and motion lights, you'll get what you deserve if you make it inside."

"What kind of dogs do you have."

"We've got 4 pitbulls ranging from 45lbs to 85lbs, and they don't like strangers. That's the least of your worries though because you'll have to deal with my old lady and any number of weapons she can lay her hands on before you get to her."

"Well what about you? What are you going to do, lay there and let you woman fight your battles for you?"

"No Sir. I sleep between my wife, the weapons, and the door. More than likely, that last thing you're ever going to see in this world is a 300lb, half-naked, pissed off Marine coming for your ass."

He just stared at me and the guy sitting next to him laughed and called him a dumb ass.

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Well now that you've ingratiated yourself to the natives, they'll start to accept you in 5 or 6 years.

3. Rachgier

Nah, most of them are glad we bought this place. Said they hated seeing it sit empty for so long. Apparently their son, the previous owner, was a d-bag and sold off most of the family assets then lost this place to a foreclosure. The only thing he has left is the 6 acre field behind the house that's up for sale as well.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I guess it's all a matter if perspective. From his perspective, it's all going to hell in a handbasket. It used to be so much better. From yours, it's darn near paradise in comparison. :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

5. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I seriously doubt that. After that conversation with the locals, I'm sure word got around within a couple days of who he is, where he lives, and the values and character he carries along with him. I would imagine he will only get respect where respect is due. He'll be a valuable neighbor to have out there in Gods country. After all, they are country folk. Not like the tards he spoke of in NY. They have character and values those idiots never dreamed of.

However; (there's always an however) if anyone ever wants to come visit, they'll probably stand at the fence and yell or throw rocks at the house to get someone's attention. I doubt if they'd want to come on the property after all that old lady with the guns talk. They'll be more afraid of her than him :rofl:

Welcome to Colorado my friend ;)

6. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

That was a great post Rach. Kinda definitely helps put things in perspective.

7. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

6 acres would be good for a nice rifle and pistol range.

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :D +1 Plano

Loved that OP post, Big Bro! :rofl:

9. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Does Colorado allow you to build a private range if you have a certain amount of property? Texas law allows any property owner with 10 acres or more to have a private range.

10. Rachgier

I think it's 40 acres. There's a 511 acre plot of land that used to be range for sale a few miles from my house though.

11. undeRGRound

INDY
    Buy It!!! :D

12. Rachgier

You loaning me the 20% down?

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    22 years ago, I could have bought all of the 6 houses I looked at for a total of $250K. 5 years ago, I could have sold them for $250K, each.

If you can swing it, land is almost always a good investment.

Of course...those houses are now only worth $200K each...so time is also a big part of the equation.:p

14. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I've got a makeshift range on my 11 acres in Colorado and the sheriff hasn't said anything about it. I asked them if I could shoot on my property and the deputy said "long as you don't shoot anyone". ;)

15. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I would jump on that6 acres! All else fails it is room to grow veg with some work to improve the soil! Is it in city limits or out?

16. Rachgier

I'll keep that in mind, since you're not all that far away. I can run up in the camper and a portable bench and I can make enough ammo to keep us busy for the weekend. I'll talk to my neighbor, the Deputy, and see what Otero County says. I wouldn't mind picking up some local land for a dedicated range.

17. Rachgier

I am completely outside of city limits, and currently being worked for hay and alfalfa. I've still got half of my property that's overgrown and usable for a garden. I've got a 95' x 25' stretch behind my fence between the property line of the field that's prime for a solar array. I wouldn't even have to take out the horseshoe pits I found in the weeds.

18. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I miss playing horseshoes. Used to do it at the lake but torn rotator cuff put an end to that!

19. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

How does snow covered solar panels produce e-lec-trizity?

EPA makes my brother's club change out their sand in their range pits.

20. undeRGRound

INDY
    I should just buy it for you :D
    If me & Bull get the "device" working ;)