Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a CCW permit holder. I want something to use as a gun to throw in the glove box of my car and keep it there in summer heat and winter cold. I don't want to keep pulling one of my house guns out of the safe every day (kids=safe) and putting it in the car then back to the safe over and over. Had considered an old crappy looking revolver because I want the price point to be at $100-$150 and revolvers have rock solid reliability, can shoot equally as well with FMJ and hollow points and all steel construction for resistance to the elements. I would want a 38 special as it has good defense stopping power and is an up to date round. Negatives are is that this price point makes it hard to find a 38 special revolver (closest I have got is an old top break 38 using a 38S&W round not 38 special - I have been to three gun shows and 4 local gun shops with no success over the last 3 months). My other option was a mosin nagant revolver (easily obtainable for a $100 at gun shows), but reliability is unknown as is ammo availability and variety, trigger pull ect. Guy at work suggests a Polish Makarov (like a Walther PPK) but price point is $225 and we have the same kind of ammo issues. The other ammo issue is that I already have a gun that takes 9mm ammo and with all of the other guns mentioned I would need to store a different caliber of ammo - not good from a tactical or storage perspective. Now you might say why don't I use my other 9mm for the car? Well we are back to the safe car carousel and I'm sorry to be blunt but at $ 140 if something happens to the car or gun, or a self defense confiscation I'm not going to be as upset at losing it as compared to a $400 gun.
I have watched You Tube Videos, read articles, ect. ect., and most seemed positive except the haters who have probably never shot or owned one (or own a $800 gun that they couldn't shoot as well and were frankly embarrassed that they were out shot by somebody with a Hi-point) (which has an accuracy advantage because of its fixed barrel). I know people who have owned and shot the Hi-Points and said they shot great and were reliable (even gun shop owners who you would think would want to up sell to a pricier handgun). So you might ask why I am hesitant to take the dive on this low priced handgun - Well frankly it is the noted failure to feed, jams ect. Even by people who defend and over look these problems in a low cost handgun-Whether true or not -this is the last thing you want to happen when that situation occurs where you might need it most. Convince me to purchase the Hi-Point C9 listing why and why not. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Just my experience with my Hi-Points pistols (C9 & JHP). Have had absolutely zero problems from them. None, nada, Around 800 rounds through each. 20% factory FMJ, 80% hard cast lead. Reason to buy? Price and warranty. You'll have to convince yourelf, I can't do that. All I can do is relate my experiences. I'd bet my life on mine.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
I didnt read all of that, but, from the title you should buy it because its inexpensive and good quality, and you'll regret it if you dont.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How about Hollow points? How well do they feed. Any brand preference for this pistol?
The C9 was my first gun. I had a couple of problems in the first 300 rounds or so with FTF. I attributed that to my inexperience (limp wristing), magazine feed lips out of adjustment, and certain brands of ammo. The more I shot, the better it got (along with my technique). I love it! Very reliable. Very accurate.

I tried Speer's gold dot hollow points and had no luck with them. Lots of feed problems. I tried some Aguila hollow points and she spit 'em out as fast as I could pull the trigger. Makes lots of nice clean holes in the paper target! The Aguila's have a more rounded tip which eliminates the feed problems.

Buy it! Who knows, it might become your primary weapon.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Any purchase must be considered from a benefit/cost assessment.

Hi Point handguns are some of the lowest priced handguns on the market. Dollar cost is minimal, at least up front. In addition, if you watch and purchase used at a good price, you can almost always recoup your investment, even years later, so cost risk is also minimal.

From the benefit perspective, several things must be considered.

Is the weapon reliable? Anecdotal information says yes, firearms reviews say yes, a few people (most of whom don't own one) say no. However, the warranty and customer service being what they are, reliability seems to be obtainable in almost all instances.

Is there a more reliable weapon out there at your price point? Not one I could find that would not have the same reliability nay-sayers, and a far more questionable warranty/service record.

Will the weapon stand up to its intended use (hot/cold, bouncing around in the car, etc)? Again, anecdotal information says yes. Any weapon thus kept, must be used occasionally (quarterly firing at least in my opinion). Again, if a problem is discovered, you have the option of selling at your cost or returning to mother for a work up.

Can you get better for less? Don't know how or where.

this is a test

·
Registered
264 Posts
How about Hollow points? How well do they feed. Any brand preference for this pistol?
The JHP 45 and the C9 are just like any other gun, they will shoot anything you load in it.
I use Hornaday 45 ACP+P 230 GR TAP - FPD

As for my C9 I use Hornaday 9MM LUGER 147 GR TAP - FPD

·
Registered
235 Posts
My .380 has never had a problem with several thousand round of any make or model, other than after about 5k through she went back for an overhaul. No problems since. The JHP on the other hand is kinda picky about what it eat eats. Break it well! Still after about a thousand rounds still won't eat Hornady. It loves WWB wich so many folks here say their's won't.
Federal 185 Hp's are it's meal of choice, 2" groups @ 25 yrds without a hiccup. Bottom line for under 200.00 you won't go wrong.
John

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Convince me as to why I should purchase a Hi-Point C9

I can tell you I love mine with over 5k thru it and has never failed me other then that YOU will need to convince yourself. Look at all the other postings here on this forum and if that doesn't convince you then go with somehting else.

I'm not being a smart jerk here but it's something only you can decide on.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
generally the mags are the problem with ftf's, etc. once you have them tweaked, your good to go. i keep mine in my truck, trust my life to it every day. ive fired aprox 500rds through it, and had 2 ftf's.....all i do is run a bore snake, and spray it with rem oil.....that reminds me....might be time for a deep cleaning....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of your friendly comments. I will probably be purchasing one in the next few weeks when I see if he local shops do any price dropping or I may drive the 100 mile round trip to one that has them on sale for $139 with a free fanny pack (unless they are out) this week. The Hi-Point has one thing all of my other listed options did not have have - A no questions asked lifetime warranty! (Besides that they are built in Ohio less than 50 miles from where I live. Any warranty work would probably return the gun to me in mere days)

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
only the manliest of men can confidently rock a fanny pack.
Or the married ones who nolonger care what anyone thinks, I find em quite handy and they would probably be a good conceal carry choice when you don't want to print etc.

·
Registered
560 Posts
only the manliest of men can confidently rock a fanny pack.
Or the married ones who nolonger care what anyone thinks, I find em quite handy and they would probably be a good conceal carry choice when you don't want to print etc.
Regardless of my situation, I would never wear a fanny pack.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.