Cool Vietnam pictures and stories

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by SWAGA, Dec 10, 2015.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

As some of you may know I've been training for a new job.
    One of the instructors is amongst a bunch of other [email protected] sh!t a Vietnam vet.
    Helicopter door gunner and then a helo pilot also. Three Purple Hearts.
    Told us some [email protected] stories, his unit received a Presidential Unit Citation in 2002-2003.
    I've told him I'm a mod on a gun forum and
    I'm posting the pictures here with his permission.
    Yep, that's him on the skid

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1449803908.378482.jpg

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1449803959.912374.jpg

His Thanksgiving in 1968 ( on the left)

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1449804148.262264.jpg

Thanks for your service 'Sarge!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Cool SWAGA. I got 2 of those prez unit citations. Did you give him Flashes #

3. SWAGA

No, just told him you bunch of delinquents and misfits would like those pics.
    He's told us about flying gunship helo's, empty the guns, RTB for reload and go out again...rinse and repeat for entire days.
    Apocalypse Now stuff for real.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Not to detract from the total bada$$ery on display there, which is high speed low drag all the way....but he's not on the skid, as the skid is the thing about 2 feet below his feet.

Also...notice the rifle? Not the M16, it's the CAR-15, isn't it? Or a Commando?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  5. SWAGA

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueBSG97qkSc[/ame]

6. brownwater

brownwater Brownwater Member

The carbine could have been either. I've seen both. The commandos were more plentiful. I was issued an m16 a1. Didn't like it much. We were armed with twin 30cal turret on the front of the boat and I had an M60 on the back where I was. Our best weapon was speed. I had the twin 6V53's turned up to 3,200 rpms. The boat would clip along at around 35 knots or more depending on how much weight we were hauling. The PBR was nothing short of an adrenaline rush. I was even dumb enough to go back for a second tour. Didn't make the whole tour though. We took rocket fire in the north west area of the Can-Tho province after making an insertion. That's when we got our unit citation.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I was in the last generation to have the A1, they went A2 right as I got out. I also got to carry the pig for a while, not so bad as we were an ordnance company, so I only carried it from the truck to the foxhole and back.:p

Never saw action, and I prefer it that way, I served with guys that had been in Vietnam Nam, and it took its toll on all of them in one way or another.;)

One of my drills from Basic had some wicked scars on his back from an RGP that took out a few of his squad. He said Charlie couldn't aim, but he could danged sure fight. He also said..and I quote..."shooting ****s is better than sex"...he had a lot of hate built up.;)

8. brownwater

brownwater Brownwater Member

Amen to having a lot of hate built up! That day in December we took rocket fire from the VC. We had just inserted a Seal team for a clean up mission into Cambodia. The boat was ripped to shreds and my wounds were from the fiberglass hull. The gunners mate wasn't so lucky. The QM just made chief the day before and made it out without a scratch. We went into the jungle and the AirCav came in to get us because the med choppers were taking too much fire. After 2 hrs we made it out. The door gunner got hit in the leg as he was hanging out returning fire. I swear that M60's barrel looked red. He didn't even even stop firing even after he was hit. There will always be a warm spot in my heart for the AirCav. I spent the last 6 months of my duty in Balboa Naval Hospital learning to walk again. Back home things were not good. I hated everything and everyone. Long story shorter, super bowl Sunday 1980 a friend shared Gods love to me and I finally realized who God was and what He did for me. That day I was a changed man. All of the hate seemed to just disappear. The nightmares went away and I slept like a baby. It's been a long time since that day but I have never had the same kind of hate in my heart as I did before. All of the Government programs that are supposed to help Veterans deal with stuff are bull! It's Jesus that changes hearts, I know he did mine. Looking back I hate that we had to go through what we had to, but I'm glad that my heart was changed!

9. rmuniz9336

rmuniz9336 Member

The guy you describe sounds almost exactly like another old 'Nam vet in my MP unit in Germany. He and I became pretty good friends, and once he trusted you, he could tell you stories that either had you laughing your head off, crying in your beer, or utterly perplexed that he made it out.

My favorite memory concerning him though was from the pistol range. We'd gotten a new Captain, and truthfully, we were way behind on routine weapons qualifications. So, he started getting us back up to speed on that. We go to the range, do a standard 50 round course. Afterwards, the Captain is walking around looking at the targets, and he comes to my friends target. Center mass, right in the "X" ring is a a hole about two inches across. He tells my friend, "You didn't qualify!" The range master said, "Sir, I have to disagree with you." "What do you mean," the Captain said. The range master smiled, nodded to my friend and said, "Let me introduce you to the Military Police Champion Pistol Shooter five years running". After that, and to keep the Captain from making such a statement again, my fried would draw smiley faces or write his name on the target.

That fact and that he had kills with a handgun in both combat and garrison settings only made him more impressive to us.

I knew a lot about combat pistol fighting before I ever meet him. What I learned from him was more like an Advanced Masters course in the subject.