Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked in past topics and all over the internet about corrosive ammo because until today, even though I heard about corrosive and non-corrosive ammo, I never really knew what it meant. My question is, do I need to clean my guns as though I've shot corrosive ammo through it? I have a .357 magnum, .45 ACP, .380 ACP, and a 9mm. I have not shot any Wolf or anything like that and the only brands I have shot are PMC, Remington, Winchester, Black Hills, and Blazer. Do I need to worry? :blink:

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
as long as you clean your gun after every outing i wouldn't worry about it. besides it's a good practice to clean your gun everytime you shoot it unless you have an ak47 that is.lol

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
None of the ammo you mentioned you shot is corrosive. You don't have to clean your guns after shooting non-corrosive. It's all good.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Corrosive ammo is usually old foreign Military Surplus sold to civilians. Clean all guns "thoroughly" if you shoot corrosive ammo.
I do recommend you clean your guns after shooting & to take them apart as is recommended by the manufacturers.
Hi-Points should be taken apart or sent in for service after 2500-3000 rounds. Clean what you can get at, swab the barrel & oil it lightly & your good to go.
My Browning Buckmark says after each range trip but it's a bit of a pain so I do it every 3 trips or 500 rnds.
Wheel guns are easy to clean so why not do it. Semi-Autos can be a pain but are prone to failures if not properly maintained.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Only the military used corrosive primers due to a very long shelf life. Even that practice has ended but suspect any mil-surplus as corrosive unless marked otherwise. The main danger is to the bolt face and chamber pitting due to the salts formed by firing the primers. Salt of course is highly corrosive to metal. Windex and long cotton swabs can be used at the range to get most of it off while cleaning is required to get it all.

As for non-corrosive ammo, normally anything but an AR (due to a very dirty gas system) can wait to be cleaned for a few hundred rounds but if problems arise clean first. All weapons work better clean even an AK but remember disassembly can cause wear on pins or other parts so you have to balance out how often to clean for any particular gun. And no Im not going to say how often that should be because it varies.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Once a year I just toss all mine in the back of the truck and go through the car wash. Good enough.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Not sure why you mentioned Wolf as if it is corrosive, but it isn't either. The original Wolf had a lacquer coating that could gum up after a lot of usage, but that was taken care of in the late 90's and replaced with a polymer. It was still never corrosive, just harder to clean.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
i ralely take the gun down to clean it maybe one tome a uear just to check for wear and tear. i use that break free powder blast and i run something down the barrel and thats it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure why you mentioned Wolf as if it is corrosive, but it isn't either. The original Wolf had a lacquer coating that could gum up after a lot of usage, but that was taken care of in the late 90's and replaced with a polymer. It was still never corrosive, just harder to clean.
I had read other places that even though Wolf states that their ammo is not corrosive, it is and that you should treat it like corrosive ammo. Again, I just read it, so I have absolutely no idea whether it is true or not. I'm not saying it is, but since I heard other people say that you should treat it like corrosive ammo, I thought i should mention that I have never used Wolf.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
it's a good rule of thumb to treat all ammo as corrosive and clean the gun regularly. not only doe cleaning it after every use keep the gun looking new it also gives you a piece of mind that when ever your gun is needed atleast you know your useing a clean gun plus yu get to give it a look over when you clean it. it would be a drag if you grabbed the gun in a time of desperate need only to find out a spring broke on the last round you fired at the range but being you don't clean your gun regularly you never knew it wasn't any good till the bad guy was in your house and you sqeaze the trigger and all you hear is a click instead of a boom .

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do indeed regulary clean my guns and lubricate them, that I have no questions about. My only concern was whether or not to clean it like I had shot corrosive ammo through it which as I understand, is entirely different than normal gun cleaning. Again, I have not used any other ammo than the ones mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
as for as i know as long as you do a regular cleaning the corosive ammo will not have time to do any damage . corrosive ammo only does it's damage with uncleaned guns . the corrosion takes a little bit of time do work on the gun as long as you clean the gun after every shooting like i said corrosive ammo will not harm the gun and you shouldn't have to clean it a certain way just clean it like a regular cleaning . run a pad and bruch with some hopps on it through the barrel and run the pad til it comes out clean and then oil it up. do the same with the rest of the gun and then lightly oil it.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
as for as i know as long as you do a regular cleaning the corosive ammo will not have time to do any damage . corrosive ammo only does it's damage with uncleaned guns . the corrosion takes a little bit of time do work on the gun as long as you clean the gun after every shooting like i said corrosive ammo will not harm the gun and you shouldn't have to clean it a certain way just clean it like a regular cleaning . run a pad and bruch with some hopps on it through the barrel and run the pad til it comes out clean and then oil it up. do the same with the rest of the gun and then lightly oil it.
Thats not quite right and regular cleaning will not remove the corrosive salts, oil or petroleum based products will NOT break the corrosive salts down. You need to use alakline based product ,soap and water, plain water or an easy thing is use an ammonia based window cleaner. Ammonia will not break the salts down but the water in the cleaner will and the ammonia will remove cooper deposits. after you clean the bore with that product then clean as normal and you're good to go. Do the windex treatment as soon as possible best to take it to the range etc. with you. If you don't remove the salts before cleaning the normal way you will seal them in with the oil to work on your bore. Here's a link to a pretty simple way to do the windex cleaning.

http://www.empirearms.com/clean.htm

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
from what i have always been told is that hopps#9 will break down the corossive stuff in the ammo and clean the gun if you do it regularly that is. i could be wrong but i never used any soap of any other stuff other than hopps and i spray them down with breakfree and i have yet to have any rust or corrosion on my guns and sometimes i shoot anything through them and i don't really know if it's corossive or not thats why i clean after every shooting and i also take all of them out the closet and clean them every other month whether i shot them or not.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
from what i have always been told is that hopps#9 will break down the corossive stuff in the ammo and clean the gun if you do it regularly that is. i could be wrong but i never used any soap of any other stuff other than hopps and i spray them down with breakfree and i have yet to have any rust or corrosion on my guns and sometimes i shoot anything through them and i don't really know if it's corossive or not thats why i clean after every shooting and i also take all of them out the closet and clean them every other month whether i shot them or not.
It's been said that Hoppes will take care of the corrosives because of the ammonia thats said to be in it. As I pointed out, ammonia will not break down the corrosive salts so this is in fact not true, perhaps you've been lucky or live in non humid environment or haven't shot anything corrosive. I've looked into this quite a bit because I've heard conflicting stories about the ammonia too and everything I've read where a chemist was cited as a source says the ammonia does zip against the corrosives, its just convenient and a bonus to use the windex because it removes the copper/metal fouling. It's wide use of this may have led to the belief the ammonia itself removes the corrosives. Everything I've read involving cleaning of firearms using corrosive ammo i.e. military surplus guns etc. suggests you used a water based method or a cleaner specifically labeled to clean corrosive ammo (those cost $ though and i'm cheap) There are antecdotes on many forums of guys who just put the gun away saying "I'll clean it tomorrow" to pull the gun back out and to their horror find it rusting already.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Hopps #9 will NOT clean out the corrosive salts. When I was kid, I seriously harmed(ruined) a barrel on a new pistol using Hopps #9 instead of water.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
sorry but you might feel good about useing soap and water to clean the gun but i don't like useing it unless i'm doing a reblueing job other than that my guns will never see soap and water. now the windex in the barrel maybe but from all i read on the internet as long as you clean your rifle with a good bore cleaner after every range day then you should be good to go. hpps says it does remove the salts and stuff from the gun parts . i do know that i have never had any problems with my guns and i live in the deep south so my biggest problem is the salt air and the really bad humidity. everyone has a diferent way to clean their guns i clean mine like they are a very old colectors car and that they are worht millions. my rule is if you shoot it clean it and then reclean it every other month whether or not you shoot it.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
sorry but you might feel good about useing soap and water to clean the gun but i don't like useing it unless i'm doing a reblueing job other than that my guns will never see soap and water. now the windex in the barrel maybe but from all i read on the internet as long as you clean your rifle with a good bore cleaner after every range day then you should be good to go. hpps says it does remove the salts and stuff from the gun parts . i do know that i have never had any problems with my guns and i live in the deep south so my biggest problem is the salt air and the really bad humidity. everyone has a diferent way to clean their guns i clean mine like they are a very old colectors car and that they are worht millions. my rule is if you shoot it clean it and then reclean it every other month whether or not you shoot it.
The Windex does work well, anything that dissolves salt does. On the gulf coast we just leave a bit more oil on the weapon than would be normal to keep water out. Exactly the opposite of gun owners in dry climates.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
yea i hear that i use oil oil oil and then more oil. i will use the windex on my guns but only when they are really dirty like after a good 500/1000 round shooting session but thats the only time i use it. now something i do use alot of is them silica packes that come in the food packages to keep the moisture out we buy dog treats exedrine pain meds and just about anything else these days had atleast one of them packs in it i take them out and drop them into my ammo cans and i put a few in my gun cases alot of people go out and buy them but why buy something that you already get for free in the other stuff you buy. i even throw a few in my camera cases too and the ones i don't need right away i keep them stored in ziploc bags. to me there is no 100% right way to clean a gun but there is one wrong way and thats just plain ole not cleaning it . yes water is a good way to get some out but i just can't see putting water down a barrel or inside the gun alot of peeps say it's ok but me living down in a salty enviroment i say noway i think we even have a certain level of salt in our drinkin water because the salt water keeps intrudeing further up the bayous and into the fresh water parts of the bayou. but for me it's scrub with hopps then give it a shot of breakfree and then some more hopps then i oils the hell out of it. but thats just me others will use diferent methods even with the internet if you do a search everyone will have a diferent way of cleaning their guns and they are fine just as long as you clean them.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Corrosive primers will start rusting the barrel in minutes/hours. Read the US military tests. There is a reason that the Western armys wanted non corrosive primers so bad. The Russians still do, but only corrosive primers will their tests.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts