Corrosive = Rust. Really?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by cicpup, Nov 27, 2015.

1. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    So without my knowledge it seems around last summer (2014) my son took a couple of my Mosins out for an afternoon of surplus ammo fun and neglected to clean them before putting them back. A little thing I discovered last night. Not too good for the resale value. After some extensive cleaning I got the T-53 to where there's minor pitting but I'm sure it'll still fire fine. Now the 1938 Tula. I've wore out 2 brushes and there's still quite a bit of rust. Is there a better method than Hoppes, remoil & scrubbing my ass off? Contemplating dipping a brush in navel jelly.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Get some aluminum, stainless, or bronze wool. Big 45 is what I use, it's thick stainless steel alloy ribbons, you wrap some around a brush or jag, and it will clean rust out. Also takes off surface rust without destroying bluing.

http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

3. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Aluminum foil + 3-in-1 oil took the surface rust off my old 16 gauge.

4. lsi1

lsi1 Member

What are your current feelings on child abuse?

5. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

6. cicpup

Vermont
    A bit more laxed than 2 days ago. Know the recessed area where the firing pin extrudes? Imagine the thoughts that went through my head when I pulled back the bolt and that area was completely filled with a mound of rust flakes. Haven't been that kidkicked since he pulled my unopened Hot Wheels collection off the wall and played with them outside. He's manned up to it and agreed to give me a real good deal on one of his guns as an apology, so I guess I did OK raising him. Just did a $hitty job explaining corrosive ammo and proper Mosin cleaning. Or asking permission.

7. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

"Corrosive" ammo contains salts the trap and hold moisture.

8. lsi1

lsi1 Member

While my cousin was stationed in North Carolina His parents took in my other cousin who needed a place to live. During the 3 days that he stayed there he fired off 300 rounds of 7.62x39 through an AK and never bothered to tell anyone about it. 6 months later it was quite a mess.

9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Thank ajole forgot about those just reordered:D some more

10. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Go to your local auto parts store or Walmart and buy some Evapo-Rust. Plug the end of the barrel and fill it with the Evapo-Rust. Let it sit overnight. Then pour out the Evapo-Rust and clean as usual. It will get rid of the rust without having to use any type of brush. It's also how I remove bluing to prep guns for Duracoat. Eliminates the need to manually sand and card.

Attached Files:

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

Warm up some white vinegar. 2 bucks for a gallon of it. Not boiling or it'll deactivate, but just warm enough that it starts to form tiny bubbles in the bottom of the pot your heating it in. Use either a gun mop or a brush and wipe the inside of the barrel down good with it. Then dry it and lubricate it.

Warm vinegar will remove bluing if allowed to sit so dry it out good, but it will also clean the oxidation from corrosive ammo.

12. cicpup

Vermont
    So if I'm a bit sloppy, I'm screwed? No bluing removal needed. They're in perfect condition. Except for down the long hole.

13. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

If you leave it on overnight and don't wash it off. I use this magical device called a funnel to get it into the barrel. :)

14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Isn't that the son that is nearly 30, Rich? :eek:

Hey FLASHBANG, is that a "rust converter" or what, exactly?
    If so, that would be the #1 fix. It "un-rusts RUST" so to speak... ;)

15. cicpup

Vermont
    He's 24 now.

16. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Magical? :eek: No relation to the Wiz are you? :rofl:

17. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

24? I would have still whooped his a$$!

18. I don't understand why you are doing the cleaning...he's old enough to be doing the hard work (cleaning) after taking the guns without permission...or he should buy the gun(s) for the value you could have gotten for them before they were screwed up by what he did instead of offering a different weapon that he happens to have (and may not care for...maybe he should offer any weapon(s) he has...your choice, not his. That would be stepping up to his screw up. Just my opinion...I'll shut up now.

19. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Your son is there helping to derust and clean Your firearms, right?

Mine would be.

eldar

20. cicpup

Vermont
    He sold me a $400 gun that I really wanted for $150 and I get to keep the Mosins. That's $250 for two guns that cost me $300. Lost any real collector value on the Tula but I'm sure It'll be blowing up bowling balls before long. If not, it's a beautiful wall hanger. The T-53 is a T-53. Really not much worst than it was before.

We're even and I have a new project.

EDIT: Besides, he could have easily paid me double value and not bother him at all. Giving up that gun hurt a bit.