couldn't believe the amount of ammo at my LGS

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by USMC_VET, Mar 28, 2015.

1. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

Was at Turners outdoors which is a chain of hunting/fishing stores here in Socal , they also started their annual spring sale yesterday

Walked over to the ammo section and found more than enough ammo for every caliber . So I start looking for 5.56 nato ammo and find at least 20 cases of Federal/lake city m193 that was under the display table . They had it in 20 rd boxes and in 120 rd count mini ammo cans

They had the 120 rd count for $64 and the 20 rd boxes for $9 . So my friend and I bought 400 rds ea plus some Plano ammo cans . A couple hours later we returned back to the store and I bought 200 more

While checking out other LGS in our area found some killer deals also on Tulammo 55 grain @ $4.25 per 20 rd boxes

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

WalMart is the only place local to buy ammo here. Their ammo is spotty, not much of any one caliber.. The BAD problem is, they NEVER have anybody working the counter. And the employees have to take some silly ATF training in order to ring out a customer. They only have a select few that can pass the test, so sometimes there is no one to work the dept. I have told the Mgr, they should either put the ammo back on the shelf, move it up front to the CS counter or QUIT selling it all together. It makes WalMart look like amateur's & not caring if they sell it or not.

3. Walmart here aswell.
    Except they are only at the counter half the time.

4. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Dunhams, walmart, and rural king are the closest places for me, though I tend to take my empty brass to a guy who sells reloads and I usually trade him for some ammo

5. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Ammo here has been plentiful lately. Even 22lr is usually in stock.

6. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

First time in 3 yrs I found 200rnds of 22lr hyper HP's at Walmart on Saturday.

7. USMC_VET

Just found more ammo that is very tempting to purchase as much as I can . Found some PMC x tac m193 ammo , 500 rds for $199 at CTD . That works out to 0.39¢ per rd which is an awesome price

Already have 1k rds of xm193 , I could always use more LOL !!

8. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

What do you think PMC X-Tac gives you that a 55gr FMJ won't??

9. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I think that somebody has developed a case of OCD when it comes to M193 or M855 ammo.;)

I don't fault you, USMC. I get a case of OCD about ammo once in awhile, too. I just save the syndrome for when the 5.56 is below $.35 per round, after shipping. I did just make an exception for some Fiocchi 62-grain canned heat ammo, though. That was just because their nitrogen-sealed ammo is so rare. 250 rounds of that were worth $.50 per round.

10. FlashBang

We are going to need to do an intervention on that boy.... it's so bad he's even buying it from CTD!

11. Think1st

Florida
    Yep. This is the panicky behavior that gougers like to exploit. Give it some time, and prices will be reasonable again, USMC. At this point, you are just buying it because it is there. Wait a bit. It will come back down.

We're all here for you, man!

12. USMC_VET

Xm193 is much more hotter rd than a standard non nato 55 grain rd

13. USMC_VET

I've got plenty of the specialty ammo .. ss109 , m855 , m193 , mk262 and mk318 mod 0 ammo

Just taking advantage of my nato 1/7 twist barrel and ability to run hotter ammo that's all

14. FlashBang

And?? If I shoot you with a PMC X-TAC are you more dead then if I shoot you with a 55gr FMJ??? I'm just trying to understand what your obsession is with the PMC X-TAC or 62gr green tip. If I can learn something I am all ears brother.

15. Think1st

Florida
    It sounds like you have enough on hand to allow value to trump availability, now. Set aside what you consider to be your long-term operational inventory, and start using your training inventory for the range. Replenish that with the cheap stuff since you seem to have built up a good operational load with the quality stuff.

16. USMC_VET

Nope just stocking up on hotter nato ammo , don't care of the price

17. USMC_VET

Any brand m193 ammo is just as powerful as m855 or even ss109 . A m193 rd at under 7 yards will penetrate level III and level IIIA AR500 plate Amor . This same rd will just as easily penetrate the same at 25 yards

The same goes for m855 or ss109 as all three are LAP rds . Also not just pmc x tac I also have lake city and American eagle

18. FlashBang

How are those "specialty" rounds? They are normal rounds to my knowledge.
    Educate me please.

19. FlashBang

So at 7 yards it is better? What about at normal combat ranges like 300 yards? How about at 50 yards? Are bad guys wearing AR500 plates now? Trying to understand if it is worth it to buy a bunch of that ammo for my stash or not.

20. USMC_VET

All are effective in penetrating barriers and not becoming frangible